A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,706
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yarn Alien - A tale of woe  (Read 818 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cherry_faery
« on: January 24, 2009 04:05:50 AM »

This is something that happened to me last year and I figured that if anyone could appreciate this story, it would be the people here on Craftster.

Once upon a time, I was shopping at a huge grocery store and found that they were selling huge balls of baby yarn for ridiculously cheap.  I was pretty surprised to find yarn at this store in the first place and the price was right so I bought four of these mega balls in white and promptly forgot about them for a while.  Fast forward to last year when I decided to declare myself a good enough knitter to tackle that sweater that I was terrified to try before.  It seemed like the perfect project to use up some of my white yarn and it was really soft so it would make a sweater that felt great even if it turned out terrible.  Seeing as I don't wear a lot of white, I also decided that this yarn would be great to use for dying experiments.

The good news is that I discovered that food coloring works wonders when dying yarn.  The bad news is that I also discovered that unraveling the ball into a proper hank is kind of crucial.  I had never dyed anything before and I got lazy when I was unraveling the thing so I stupidly ended up twisting up the whole ball into something semi-hank-like.  Amazingly, the dye took without any problem but as I hung the yarn to dry after the whole process, it became tangled over a bar in my bathroom and within a few minutes of trying to remove it, my semi-hank-like creation had become a mess on my bathroom floor...and it was still hooked on the bar.  I spent two days trying to figure out how to untangle it and the end result was something akin to those yipping aliens they had on Sesame Street if it had been turned into road kill.  To this day, it sits in my living room waiting for me to decide I need more yarn from the pile.

The lesson I took away from this is that laziness is often rewarded with more work.  Also, trying to dye yarn at three in the morning is likely to result in failure and hours spent trying to find a way to separate said dyed yarn from your bathtub.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can make anything except a straight line.
zowiewoahie

But it's my BIRTHDAY tomorrow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009 12:23:10 AM »

ahhh I'm not the only one that thinks starting projects in the middle of the night is a good I idea Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lets all go to Jack Taylor's to celebrate!
cherry_faery
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009 04:01:33 PM »

Hooray for the late night crafters!  I think my problem is that I always think that I'm just going to do something little before bed and I always get so sucked into the project that I generally end up going until it's finished or I mess it up or both.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Persephone Hazard
I'm not going to live my life on one side of an ampersand

That song was about me.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009 09:53:59 AM »

I generally end up going until it's finished or I mess it up or both.

You're not alone there [laughs]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When she was good, she was very very good - but when she was bad she was fabulous.
cherry_faery
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009 12:50:09 AM »

Sadly, no matter how many times I end up messing something up, I never learn.  Case in point: Last night I needed some cheering up so I ended up going to the sewing machine and ended up attaching the wrong part of the back of a bodice for a dress to the wrong part of the lining and then instead of asking why they didn't line up, I cut part of the lining and made things substantially worse.  Go team sleep depravation!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Is the Hair Routine Like Amongst Teresa and Her Daughters?
How To Rock A Rope Braid Hairstyle
The Secret to a Perfect Topknot
Anti-Aging Hair Products to Start Using Now
Set the (Two-)Tone: Ombré Inspiration to Take to the Salon
Latest Blog Articles
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...