A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,406
Currently Running With Scissors:
600 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: (going to be) New to Lexington-help??  (Read 5609 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

paradisecrane
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005 01:04:37 PM »

Hehehe this thread has been helpful!  I'm going to attend UK next fall and I'm definately going to check out all the things Xmelinda pointed out!  Hmmm any crafty college/highschool students out there?!?!?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone want to swap ATCs?
Visit my shop!
http://applearabesque.etsy.com/
aubrigail
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2005 05:02:42 PM »

=)

I'm glad it's helped someone else, too.  I've got to print these up for when I move in 17 days (YAY!!!) Thanks for all the suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We shall find peace. We shall hear the angels, we shall see the sky sparkling with diamonds"
- Chekhov
aubrey

keep calm and carry a wand

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2005 11:50:33 AM »

i'm guessing you've moved by now, but i have a few suggestions. a few have already been mentioned, but extra emphasis can't hurt. i put the general area where they are but i don't know the street names or anything
+ isle of you...really cool clothing store, they have paul frank, hello kitty, juicy couture, some vintage stuff....downtown
+ third street stuff and cafe...this place is impossible to miss when you drive by it, and they have awesome stuff...downtown
+ coffee times coffee shop...omg this place is so cool. they have a store side with awesome purses, jewelry, and other stuff and a coffee/tea/smoothie bar on the other side...i'm really not sure where this is...it's in one of those shopping center things. it's by that giant wildcat, though, if that helps anyone
+ mocha monkey.....smoothie/wrap/coffee shop....beaumont
+ graeter's....one in palomar, one in tates creek center...that's all i can think of right now
+ cornerstone pharmacy....looks like it's right out of the 50's....really good milkshakes....downt own versailles (about 15 minutes from lexington)...just a bit of advice, i don't know how it was in wyoming, but in kentucky, versailles is pronounced ver-sales. people might think you're crazy if you pronounced it the correct, french way  of ver-sye
+ jonk jonk jonk...thrift store in downtown lexington
+ exploritorium (formally lexington children's museum) has a teen/kids art/craft fair each year. i participated in it last year, it was pretty fun....also it'd be fun to go to...and it's downtown
+ holly hill inn....a delicious restaurant in midway....about 30 minutes from lexington
+ seki's...a really good sushi restaurant downtown, but extremely hard to get into

those are some of my favorites, i hope you're enjoying lexington!

oh and one more thing, three movies have been filmed in lexington and surrounding areas (versailles, louisville, elizabethtown) recently that you may enjoy seeing. already released: seabiscuit. coming in october (as of now): elizabethtown and dreamer.

<3 aubrey
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xmelinda
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2005 09:53:41 AM »

+ third street stuff and cafe...this place is impossible to miss when you drive by it, and they have awesome stuff...downtown

Third Street and North Limestone.  I like this place, too, it's a nice place to hang out and have some tea.

+ coffee times coffee shop...omg this place is so cool. they have a store side with awesome purses, jewelry, and other stuff and a coffee/tea/smoothie bar on the other side...i'm really not sure where this is...it's in one of those shopping center things. it's by that giant wildcat, though, if that helps anyone

The coffee here is terrible -- I used to work there, and I can tell you that they serve whatever is the oldest stalest stuff that they want to get rid of.  But the little shop is cute and has cute stuff.  It's on Regency Road, which is off of Nicholasville Road and Pasadena.

Also on Regency Road, a place I cannot say enough good things about, Pet Paws Self-Serve Dog Wash.  What an awesome idea and super-nice people.  It makes washing your dog almost fun.

+ graeter's....one in palomar, one in tates creek center...that's all i can think of right now

Also  Romany Road near downtown (in Chevy Chase).  Hubby and I have been semi-addicted this summer.  Must... stop... going... to... Graeters...

+ holly hill inn....a delicious restaurant in midway....about 30 minutes from lexington

This reminds me about Flag Fork Herb Farm, on North Broadway, which is a delightful place to have lunch.  You should call ahead, because the dining room is small, but it's not hard to get into.

+ seki's...a really good sushi restaurant downtown, but extremely hard to get into

Miiyako is also good for sushi and other Japanese food, though pricey (sushi is always pricey, though).  On Richmond Road, near New Circle Road.

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
aubrey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2005 01:28:34 PM »

thanks....my mom drives me everywhere so i pretty much don't have to pay attention to roads yet. one more year until i get my liscense though, and i think i'll scare everyone off the road. i remembered another place, the paisley peacock. it's not really my kind of store....very....ec centric/ecclectic (last time i was in there, they were selling hippie-ish drug stuff. i couldn't think of another way to put that. nothing against hippies, but i'm not one of them.) also kennedy book store. they have a section with awesome art supplies, plus they have lots of cool pens. those are both downtown....help with streets please?

back to midway, they have a lot of other places i forgot to mention. wallace's station is a really good panini/salad type restaurant, very casual, but delicious foods. it's owned by the sister of the owner of holly hill inn. downtown midway's awesome too. they have a whole strip of boutiques and restaurants. i'll name the ones i like....le marche (cute store, cafe, and the basement houses a pottery studio of the owner's....she also offers pottery lessons), breckenridge (boutique), bluegrass historical museum (i don't really like this store for it's intended purposes....even though it's interesting....but they have a bunch of vintage books and jewelry, plus faux vintage items....all very cool to use while crafting), the depot (yummy restaurant), bistro la belle (reallllly good salads), a christmas store...can't remember the name...but awesome ornaments, and lastly, a train track runs through the middle of all this. we usually put some coins on top before shopping or eating dinner, and when we come back, they're usually flattened! totally illegal, but quite fun nonetheless. the whole strip is being remodeled right now so it's hard to get to, but it should be completed within a few weeks.

i'm bound to think of more things still

<3 aubrey
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fadeawaydream
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2005 01:30:30 AM »

I couldn't sleep because all I could think about was that I am moving to Lexington in nine months--thank you for this thread! I've been visiting for the past year and have stumbled upon some of the places mentioned, but there are others I definitely need to check out. I was afraid my craftiness would be stunted by the move, but I fear no more!

i remembered another place, the paisley peacock. it's not really my kind of store....very....ec centric/ecclectic (last time i was in there, they were selling hippie-ish drug stuff. i couldn't think of another way to put that. nothing against hippies, but i'm not one of them.) also kennedy book store. they have a section with awesome art supplies, plus they have lots of cool pens. those are both downtown....help with streets please?

Oh and one other thing about Paisley Peacock (on Limestone and Maxwell) that aubrey did not mention--in the back of the store there is this delightful bead nook, filled with organizers and organizers of beads. I always stock up when I visit. (: It also has various hemp and beading accessories, which is nice. And the Pita Pit right down the block has the BEST fast food pitas you'll ever eat--and they deliver until 3am!

Oh! And have any of you been to Berea?! I went a couple months ago and fell in love. What a quaint little craft town! The pottery and the jewelry and the glass blowing! I definitely need to go back some time (a full day's trip, of course) to check out all the antique stores and craft stores and perhaps stroll the Berea campus and have a picnic. (:

Anyhow, any other crafty places in the Lexington area? Especially someplace other than Jo-Ann/Hancock for fabric!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

aubrey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2005 12:55:42 PM »

hehe...yeah....i haven't been to paisley peacock in forever...i just remember what stood out....so i guess that's pretty biased.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

silencepainter
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2005 12:01:21 PM »

Oh! And have any of you been to Berea?! I went a couple months ago and fell in love. What a quaint little craft town! The pottery and the jewelry and the glass blowing! I definitely need to go back some time (a full day's trip, of course) to check out all the antique stores and craft stores and perhaps stroll the Berea campus and have a picnic. (:

Berea is a wonderful little spot and they tend to have a craft fair and other events.

Loving this post as I live in Richmond (30 min from lex), and we have very few craft choices.  We have wal-mart.  Yup.  Wal-mart.  And Botonay Bay has some beads and hemp making stuff.  But that about covers it.  So sad.  We also are low on interesting places.

Lauren
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dayna
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2005 05:30:50 PM »

I'm actually moving away from Lexington in, uh, three days, but here are some things I've found to do in the last four years I've spent here, hope this helps some of y'all out.

- Everyone must go to Jonk. It is such an awesome vintage store, with clothes, records, furniture and household-y things. The guys that run it are super nice. Probably my favorite thing to do in Lexington. Aw. I will miss shopping there. (Third St near Transy and Atomic Cafe)

- Pop's Resale is kind of similar to Jonk but with a crap load of records. They also have good vintage clothes. (Leestown Rd.)

- The UK Arboretum is my second favorite thing to do. They have a lovely garden, and also jogging trails. Perfect place to study. Amazing rose garden in summer. (Alumni Dr near the football stadium).

- Gallery Hop downtown on certain Friday nights, 4 times a year maybe? I dunno, it'll always be in the newspaper.

- Sunrise Bakery, they bake really yummy breakfast pastries (Main St., kind of across from The Dame).

-Farmer's Market, of course. They just started a new one on Sundays on Southland Dr.

- CD Central for records, Squecial Media for books, magazines and random cool things. (both on Limestone, right by campus.)

- Kentucky Theater downtown for foriegn and indie movies. Decently cheap tickets, pretty old theater, the best concessions ever (Kizito cookies! Coke with real cherry syrup! Beer! So great).

- The Gorge has already been mentioned by a bunch of people, but just wanted to add that it's way close to Lexington, only a 45 min drive w/o traffic.

- As far as craftiness, the SNB has a Yahoo Groups site, and last year I think they did knitting lessons in the Student Center. At least I think that was the same group. Maybe they're doing that again this year?

So Lexington has been okay. You really have to search out new things to do, a lot of people seem to end up just going out to eat and drinking a lot. If you don't have a car (like me) it kind of blows, but if you can hitch rides with friends, it's alright.  Anyway, welcome to Lex Vegas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ruis2002
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2005 09:39:38 AM »

Craft classes:

The Living Arts & Science Center offers all sorts of classes, mainly for kids, but some for adults. I think this is their web site, but it isn't coming up for me this morning, not sure why:
http://www.livingartsandscience.org/

also, there was someone teaching decorative painting in a shop in nearby Versailles, I can't remember the name of it.

Michaels' (on Nicholasville rd.) has occasionally classes

Also:

Lexington Childrens Museum

440 West Short Street
Lexington, KY 40507

phone: (859) 258-3253
admissions@handsonfun.com

hours: Tues. to Sat
10 am - 5 pm
Sun. 1 - 5 pm; Closed Mon.
web: www.lexingtonchildr ensmuseum.com

The Lexington Childrens Museum provides a fun, dynamic hands-on learning environment for the whole family. Over 100 exhibits, traveling exhibits, and workshops have been created to inspire your imagination and curiosity
Also try Lexington Community College's adult ed classes, some painting and photography classes, and assorted other stuff:

http://www.bluegrass.kctcs.edu/LCC/CCP/community_education.php

also Fayette County Public Schools have adult ed classes in a variety of subjects. I wish they would offer even more classes. Maybe if you have a particular hobby or skill to share, you could write a course proposal and submit it to them (ditto for LCC, a friend of mine got a stint teaching a class with her local adult ed program that way...)

http://www.fcps.net/sa/support/communityed.htm

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Attach Sequins to Clothes
How to Attach a Coat Button
How to Make a Slip Stitch
How to Operate a Sewing Machine
How to Sew a Hem on Your Machine
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...