A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,106
Currently Running With Scissors:
694 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: (going to be) New to Lexington-help??  (Read 5333 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aubrigail
« on: March 17, 2005 11:25:08 AM »

Hi all,
First off, I should introduce myself...I'm currently living in Wyoming (doing a year as an AmeriCorps VISTA) but in 3 months and 9 days, I'll be moving to Lexington!! I went to college in Ohio, and spent many weekends down at the Red and can't wait to be moving back to the area!

I haven't posted much on craftster, but I love checking in to see the amazing projects everyone is doing! I just learned how to knit, l just started embroidering stuff this year, can sew a bit, and LOVE photography.

I'm currently looking for jobs in the area (and sending out resumes and looking for more jobs and...) I was just wondering if anyone out there had some ideas of different places to look, openings that might appeal to a fellow crafter...I'm constantly on the college employment pages, and the classifieds for most newspapers in the area, monster.com/careerbuilder.com etc, but I'm sure there are opportunities out there that I'm missing.  Any ideas, suggestions would be greatly, greatly appreciated...

I'll also take any suggestions about the area, places to shop, eat, must-go-to events, nice areas to live, not nice areas to live, when the snb and the craft clubs meet Wink

I know this is a lot to ask but just let me say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU in advance!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We shall find peace. We shall hear the angels, we shall see the sky sparkling with diamonds"
- Chekhov
xmelinda
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005 11:56:40 AM »

There's a very active snb here, though I myself have never made it to a meeting.  They seem like fun folks and they meet several times a week.

As for where to live or not live -- depends on whether you're looking for a house or apartment, what kind of neighborhood you like, what your budget is, etc.  My husband and I just moved downtown and we really like it.

Some of my favorite things in town:

The Kentucky Theatre (1923 movie theatre on Main St)
Alfalfa for brunch (also on Main St)
Third Street Stuff (shop/coffee house)
Room Service (consignment furniture etc)
3 different antique malls out Leestown Road
Sahara (cheap and delicious Jordanian food on Southland Dr)
Good Foods Market ("health food" co-op and cafe)
Farmers Market (every Saturday on Vine St when season is in)
Panda Garden (best Chinese food in town, way over by the Greyhound bus station)
Puccini's Smiling Teeth (gourmet pizza, in Chevy Chase neighborhood)
John's Run Walk Shop (group of family-owned shoe stores)
Mountains of Memories (huge scrapbook/paper store at Man o'War and Boston Rd)
Lasting Legacy (another scrapbook store, in Andover neighborhood)
Bombay Brazier (best Indian food I've ever had, on High Street downtown)
Dandelion Beads (on Richmond Rd, though their prices have gotten a bit high lately)
Stitch Niche (yarn shop on Moore Dr, off of Nicholasville Rd)
Copper Garden (neat garden decor shop in Lexington Green mall on Nicholasville Rd)
Flag Fork Herb Farm (shop and cafe on North Broadway)
Unique Books (small but surprisingly decent used book shop on Woodland Ave)
Graeter's Ice Cream (Cincinnati-based locally-made gourmet ice cream)
The Dame (relatively cool place to see live music, on Main Street)

You mentioned "The Red" -- do you mean the Red River Gorge?  That's definitely one of our favorite things to do when the weather is good.  It's only about 90 minutes to 2 hours from Lexington.  Even our dogs love to go!

And if you're up for driving for an hour, there's King's Island, which I assume you already know about if you went to school in Ohio.  Also in Cincinnati is a semi-new store called Jungle Jim's, which is the most amazing food store I've ever been in.  It's unbelievably huge.  They're building their own monorail.  All kinds of crazy foods from all over the world.  We took my mother-in-law there last year, and she can't wait to go again on her next visit.  I don't know if the Newport Aquarium was open when you were in Ohio, but it's pretty cool.

An hour's drive in another direction takes you to Louisville, where I suggest Heine Brothers Coffee, Ramsi's Cafe On the World, ear-x-tacy (music store), Baxter Avenue Theatre (artsy-fartsy), and this place that makes homemade cake, pie, and ice cream -- all of these are along Bardstown Road in Louisville.

I'll be interested to see if anyone else responds -- maybe I'll learn something new  Wink  I'm sure there are things I'm forgetting, too.

I don't have any ideas for interesting jobs, though -- if I did, I'd pursue them myself.  I work at the University, which is not too exciting, but I do get 6 credit hours of classes for free every semester, which is a really good perk.

I've been thinking about starting a craft club for a while, but haven't gotten my act in gear to do it, but when I do, I'll definitely post here.  Welcome to town!

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005 03:08:08 PM »

i lived in lexington while i went to grad school in richmond. the most fun suggestion i have may not be for you, but if you are open-minded, go see the drag show at "the bar" downtown in lexington. that's the real name, "the bar." it's one of those places that doesn't have a sign or anything, you just have to get someone who knows it to take you there. the show is great, the drinks are strong, and dancing at gay bars in unlike dancing at any other kind of club. don't worry if you are straight (i am); you'll be welcome there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
aubrigail
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005 10:00:38 PM »

Thanks so much for the ideas =)

Wow 6 free credit hours, that is a pretty good perk...I'm guessing that's at UK...do you know if that's a benefit for every UK job? (I hope I'm not being too nosy, but that'd be a big deal for me)

I saw a sign for the farmer's market when I went to visit last month, and I was really excited about that.  I love all the old houses and the downtown area seemed really neat (even though we only drove through it). I also figured there must be a bunch of cool places that my boyfriend hasn't found yet, so I'm glad for the list.  I have a feeling I'm going to be showing him around Lexington Wink

I'm ridiculously excited about moving =)  Thanks again for the replies and ideas!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We shall find peace. We shall hear the angels, we shall see the sky sparkling with diamonds"
- Chekhov
xmelinda
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005 06:55:29 AM »

Oh, I forgot about The Bar.  It's funny, there are actually a LOT of gay people, male and female, in Lexington, but they are sort of in semi-hiding.  There used to be a lot more live theatre here than there seems to be now, but there is a big Shakespeare festival in the summer and Actors Guild just got a new theatre on Main Street.  It's also, as I said, an easy drive to Louisville or Cincinnati.  There are a few small but nice art galleries, and a big arts fair in August, which has become kinda snooty, but is still fun to go look at.

The 2 free classes is a benefit for every full-time UK job.

I really like living downtown -- there is a wide range of options downtown, as far as affordable vs. swanky, too.

Let me know when you get to town, we can go to brunch or something and then you can say you know someone in town  Smiley

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
aubrigail
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005 10:43:00 AM »

Sounds great =) Thanks again for the ideas!! I'll post something when I make it to Lexington (wish it was sooner, except for that pesky finding a job thing Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Chekhov
knitjunkie
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005 12:17:14 PM »

Hi!  I just joined the craftster board, but I'm in Lexington too!  I work at UK full-time and am taking advantage of those free credit hours to do graduate work too.  I just started knitting a few months ago and am hooked. 

I've been trying to think of any other recommendations of things to see or do here, but I think Melinda covered just about everything in her first post.  One thing that I would recommend is Joe Bologna's restaurant.  We really like their pasta and pizza.  It's kind of in between UK's campus and downtown, on W. Maxwell St.

I had to laugh when "The Bar" came up - I have friends who go there pretty often but I've never been.  One of these days I'll get out there.  Having a toddler makes it hard though.  Anyway, I'll keep thinking on suggestions and if I come up with anything else I'll post it here. 

Laura
http://knitjunkie.blogspot.com
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005 12:39:18 PM by knitjunkie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
legallyblonde
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005 10:23:55 AM »

I live in Lexington.  Hope this isn't too late! I'm a big fan of the Farmer's Market, Joe Bologna's, John's Run Walk Shop (just bought some running shoes there yesterday), and Graeters (best ice cream in the world!).  Here's my list:

*The patios at Atomic Cafe or Cheapside for drinks.  I love the food at Atomic too (Caribbean)
*Sushi at Seki on South Broadway (we call her the Sushi Nazi but if you can get in, it's great)
*Dinner on warm evenings on the patio at Regatta's (seafood) in Lexington Green. 
*Magee's Bakery on E. Main
*Joseph Beth for books and coffee/dessert in the Cafe. It's huge.

All of my recs revolve around food.  That may indicate a problem. Smiley

I can't believe no one has mentioned Keeneland yet! It's horse racing and the only thing that beats Keeneland in the fall is Keeneland in the spring.  Even if you don't like racing or don't care to bet, you'll love Keeneland. 

Lexington is a sports crazy town.  UK basketball is the big thing.  They play at Rupp downtown, and it's almost impossible to get tickets.  We talk basketball year round and obsess about it.  We're the all time winningest college basketball team and should be ranked top 5 again next year.  We love football but our football team hasn't quite shared the same success as the basketball program.  That's saying it nicely.  But hey, when you get 60,000/game to watch a team that finishes 2-10, you've got loyal fans. 

We also have the Legends, a minor league baseball team and the Horsemen, an arena football team.  I love going to Legends games though I've never been to a Horsemen game.  There aren't any pro sports teams in Kentucky, even though there have been attempts to get an NBA team in Louisville.

The only really crafty thing I do is knitting, and while the Stitch Niche is my favorite, there are 2 other ones, Knit 1 Purl 1 and Stone's Throw. I don't care for Knit 1 Purl 1 but that's a whole other post.  The owner is nice and they do have a lot of European yarns.  Stone's Throw is in Georgetown which isn't far from where  I live but 25-30 minutes from other parts of Lex.  It's a small shop that only carries Brown Sheep, Crystal Palace, Patons, and a couple of other things but they are very nice and helpful.

We have about every chain restaurant and shop out there so we have a you could ever want, if that's what you are looking for.  Most of these are concentrated around the Fayette Mall on Nicholasville Rd or Hamburg on Man O War at I-75.

As far as places to live, I live out in Masterson now which I like but it's mostly younger families.  I am single and don't fit in at all but bought out here because I wanted a newly built house with a little bit of yard for my dogs.  My favorite area of town to live in is around Chinoe, near campus.  Lexington is a relatively safe town.  The north end of town can be sketchy in parts and in other parts is older so my suggestion to anyone is to stick to downtown/the south side of town.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aubrigail
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005 12:30:06 PM »

Thanks Laura and Legally Blonde...no worries you're not too late...I've still got 2 months and 8 days to go (not that I'm counting Wink ) and I really appreciate all the ideas, especially when it comes to things to do and places to live...I'm subleasing my boyfriend's room for the summer, so I'm glad I don't have to rush around to find something right when I get there...my dream, ideal would be someplace where I could get a dog...but that may be totally out of what I can afford...we'll see

I'm glad to hear its a pretty safe place too.  I probably sound like such a dork but I was a little nervous about that...I mean going from a town of 1,000 some people where no one locks their doors and they all leave their cars running at the post office (well everyone except me...this is the smallest, smallest place I've ever lived and I didn't want to get out of the door-locking habit) to a place with 200 times more people...eek! Its good to know that it's not a big deal

I'm so looking forward to moving! Thanks again for all of your wonderful ideas and suggestions!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Chekhov
legallyblonde
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005 07:51:50 PM »

I have 2 dogs, and I never had any problems finding a place to rent in Lexington with both of them!  You'll often run into breed restrictions but other than that, many places accept most dogs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Newest Urban Decay Naked Palette Review
5 Glamorous Holiday Makeup Looks
Beauty Gadgets Perfect For Holiday Gifts
How To Get a Classic Holiday Makeup Look
Backstage with Mally Rancol at the Tracy Reese Show
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...