A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,061
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mokume Gane Earrings  (Read 525 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Vanyel
« on: January 23, 2009 05:45:41 PM »

Mokume Gane, for those of you who don't know, is a material made of layers of copper and silver sheet, which is then fused together, hammered, patterned (this is just one of many, many patterns), and rolled down into sheet metal (or rods). It essentially translates to wood grain metal, from japanese. I, unfortunately, have not yet learned how to make Mokume, but was able to buy some 'scraps' from Phil Baldwin, the owner of Shining Wave Metals, who does make it.
Anyways, I designed these simple earrings to highlight the mokume, then spent a great deal of time cursing myself for coming up with the soldering job from hell. Anyways, the earrings were lightly sanded for a matte finish, and patina'd with dormant spray. Apologies for the crappy pics- for some reason, my photographer friend was having shit luck getting a decent photo of these darn things. I'll shut up now.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
merrydeath21
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009 05:54:58 PM »

Those are really beautiful!  Don't criticize your soldering...they look perfect and professionally made!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Vanyel
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009 06:01:24 PM »

Those are really beautiful!  Don't criticize your soldering...they look perfect and professionally made!

Oh, the soldering turned out fine in the end, it just took me like three times each earring to get it to flow all the way around- the earwires are free spinning, and held in place by a melted ball on the end of the wire, inside the bead, so I had to paint the earwires with yellow ochre, and be really, really careful not to solder them to the bead and/or melt the wires, so I had to sweat solder the bead, rather than using a long strip of solder across, and spinning the bead as I heat, which is how I'm used to doing it (though I've only made beads a few times.) Anyways, I'll shut up now. These earring were just my nemesis for a few days.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessartisan
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009 09:42:24 PM »

Those are really beautiful.  I'm amazed it's metal - I've only seen it done in clay.

Spectacular! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jessersmisadventures

we are the knights that say nee!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009 04:00:56 PM »

Wow, those are SOOOO pretty.  I am in awe.  I guess I can add "mokume gane" to the list of techniques I'd like to learn someday!  Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my beautiful, brand new shop! I am currently offering free shipping to all fellow Craftsters!

www.Palmyria.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Match Wellies to Your Outfit
Daily News Kid Fashion Critic Reviews NYFW Runway Styles
Holiday Hair for Kids
Top Holiday Looks For Children
DIY Elsa Costume For Under $30
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...