A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 305,873
Currently Running With Scissors:
484 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Biohazard Surgeon's Mask  (Read 803 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

syri

Painfully Plain

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2009 05:25:42 PM »

I am not entirely happy with the outcome of this project, mainly because I feel the work is not up to par. If you need details I could nit-pick it for you. I am not sure if I want to finish it, even if all it requires is tying in the tails on the straps.
It was embroidered with 2 strands of all purpose sewing thread, in satin stitch couched over a base of chain stitches and ladder stitches.
Feel free to give me a hard critique if you find something you want to point out either in the embroidery or construction of the mask. I have given it a pretty thorough reaming on my blog, but there may be things I haven't noticed myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gamemom42
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009 05:41:15 PM »

You are definitely your own worse critic, because I think it's great!  I always compare hand-made things to the same thing you might buy and it helps put any flaws in perspective.  If you bought that mask, the quality wouldn't come close to what you've done!  (By the way, I sure am enjoying that great Scottish owl and pussycat bookmark !)   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

syri

Painfully Plain

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009 07:01:56 PM »

You are definitely your own worse critic, because I think it's great!  I always compare hand-made things to the same thing you might buy and it helps put any flaws in perspective.  If you bought that mask, the quality wouldn't come close to what you've done!  (By the way, I sure am enjoying that great Scottish owl and pussycat bookmark !)   
The biggest problem with it is that I sacrificed functionality for the sake of aesthetics, and the aesthetics aren't even really something to write home about. I know I could have done better, I know what I could have done better. It isn't really a self-loathing issue so much as identifying the flaws so as not to make them again. I have certaintly made my fair share of "ugly puppies" in my time but it doesn't get me down, we can't be satisfied all the time.

I am very glad you are loving that bookmark!! I was trying to figure out how to respond to your PM, but I don't know what to say to such high praise save for thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009 08:28:04 PM »

I think it's creepy and cool. You did a good job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snazzlecraft

I jumped on the mustache train! CHOO CHOO!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009 08:35:09 PM »

Now I don't own an embroidery machine or anything but I have been sewing for a long time.  And I have NO clue what you are complaining about!  I think it looks awesome.  It is super cute and original and I like it.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

syri

Painfully Plain

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009 03:30:47 AM »

Now I don't own an embroidery machine or anything but I have been sewing for a long time.  And I have NO clue what you are complaining about!  I think it looks awesome.  It is super cute and original and I like it.   Grin
I don't own an embroidery machine either so I will definately take that as a compliment. Thanks! Though for example, in the top left closeup, it looks like the picture of the symbol is maybe taken on an angle: the picture's straight on, and the symbol is very stumpy on top particularly the upper left branch, you can maybe see the pencil line that I didn't completely follow, the circle is more of a fat triangle. It may seem outrageous to some, but I figure if a geometric shape aint shapely, it just shouldn't be at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 18/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 3/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 22/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 16/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 2/26
Latest Blog Articles
Hedgies!
Meatless Monday: Bean Burgers
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...