A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,202
Currently Running With Scissors:
508 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I NEED some help!!! PLEASE  (Read 1654 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

danni42683
« on: January 23, 2009 10:31:57 AM »

I have been away for a while trying to get settled into out new place and in the midst of finding a place for everything in VERY tight cramped quarters (for now while we saved up since Jeff just got out of the military and we just moved from KY back to Missouri! Hoping to buy a house this summer) I find out that I am PREGNANT!!!! We were shocked as all get out but we could not be happier, unless we were living in a bigger house!!!
Anyways since we are living with small space I decided to get a "mini crib" it is a crib but smaller. (a baby never takes full advantage of a normal size crib anyways so why make wasted space?) Anyways I was looking at bedding sets for inspiration and came across THIS... http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/bedding-blankets/denyse-schmidts-full-circle-bedding-032867 I fell in LOVE!!! to say the least. BUT I do not know how to accomplish those circles.  Cry Cry Cry I know the fabric is cut on the bias, but other than that how do you go about constructing it? Is there a book about quilting with circles, or something online that I could take a peek at?
Anyone please, HELP!!!!!
If all else fails I will do it with squares instead of circles! But I really love the circles! LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mishalouise
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009 10:37:45 AM »

Read the thread "how do I calculate circles" (in quilting).  There's a link in there, it might be helpful (definitely will for the central circle).  I've never attempted circles myself - good luck.

oh and congrats on the surprise!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
danni42683
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009 10:46:36 AM »

Thank you I am going to search for the link right now!!!
Thank you for the congrats also!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009 02:47:26 PM »

That is the coolest quilt I've seen in awhile. It also looks very easy. I just moved my "sewing room" into my new "sewing studio" (doesn't that make it sound so much more snazzy - actually I just bought a house and had a spare 20 X 20 room) and I found a box of homespun plaids and can't imagine what I was planning to do with them. i think they would be great for this.

A quick google turned up 2 sites that explain the appliquing of bias strips.
Carol's Quilt Cafe
Google Books scroll down to "Using Bias Bars".

Another option, and the one I plan to try, is to cut your fabric on the bias - maybe 1 1/2" wide - fold in half, wrong sides together, and press. Then draw the circle on the background block, darw 1/4" larger than you want the inside of the circle. Next place the bias strip on the circle, cut edge on the marked circle and the fold towards the inside of the circle. Sew using 1/4" seam allowance. Remember to fold up the crosswise end when you start so you don't have a raw edge there. Press the fabric toward the outside edge of the circle (this step covers up the cut edge) and sew down the folded edge of the strip. You could sew it down by hand so the stitches don't show, use the machine to mimic hand applique, sew with a very nice straight stitch just along the edge, or use a decorative stitch like a buttonhole to add to the design.

You could vary the wide you cut the strips but test a small bit first. I suppose you could make the strip too wide then it wouldn't lay nicely. Also keep in mind you will lose a little bit of width as the strip stretch to make that outside curve (the wider the strip the more width you will lose).

Oh, it looks like that was done on "whole cloth" but I will be doing mine in blocks. I'm not even going to try to do that many circles on a great big piece of fabric. But for a baby bed (particularly a mini crib - never heard of them but they sound like a great idea) doing whole cloth would be OK.

Forgot to add. If you want to check out a book or even search the web - try Celtic Applique. Celtic applique is almost exclusively bias tubes and even if they aren't complete circles the same sewing techniques and tips would apply.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009 02:50:30 PM by elijor » THIS ROCKS   Logged
danni42683
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009 04:29:39 PM »

You know what I NEVER thought about using the tech. used to make Celtic knot quilts! I have the book Celtic Quilts A New Look For Ancient Designs by Beth Ann Williams! That is a GREAT Idea. Thank you for that idea, I would have made this stuff a super hard way and then came across the book and been like DUH!!! I might have to try the way you mentioned in your post also! see which is easier. Maybe a combo of the bias bars, the Celtic tech. and your tech! I will get this done before June, I just have to find out what I am having now! LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewHelpMe
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009 10:26:19 AM »

Also check out a book called "Easy Bias-covered Curves" by Wendy Hill.  It shows how to make bias trim and form it into a circle.  If you search for this book on Amazon.com then do "Look Inside" you can see what the circles look like on one of her quilts.  You'd just have to make progressively larger circles for the quilt you want to make.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brandysmom
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009 08:31:20 PM »

Oh, those circles are such an inspiration!!  Love them!  Good luck with your project, and your little one!  On a side note, I do have a little experience with what I think is the mini crib you're speaking of -- sort of the same dimensions as a standard crib, but on a smaller scale.  One problem we had was finding sheets to fit the smaller mattress, without spending a fortune for them.  I ended up making several "sheets" that were more like large pillow cases, rather than sheets with elastic -- and since the mattress is smaller, it's easy to pick it up and just slip off the old sheet and slip the new one on, just like changing a pillow case. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
danni42683
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009 11:35:52 AM »

I did find sheets for the mattress (walmart) but they are EXPENSIVE two sheets for 15 dollars, other places are charging 45 -75 dollars for TWO SHEETS are you kidding me?
Anyways I have started this project and I have four blocks done. I could have more but I get kinda ADD with it and lose interest REALLY fast, so I have set a goal of a block a day while also working on a crochet blanket which is also getting the "block a day" treatment and I just finished a diaper bag today!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009 07:50:07 AM by danni42683 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009 12:49:29 PM »

That is looking really nice. Do the other blocks have the same fabrics in the same places or are they mixed up? Also, which method did you decide to use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
danni42683
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009 08:16:31 PM »

They are all different I actually used a BUNCH of different fat quarters. I went ahead and got the "easy circle cut by Sharon Hultgren" template (It was only like 12 dollars at hobby lobby and I had a coupon for it so it was even cheaper) I do love circles so I will put it to good use! I cut the "nested" circles out of fabric and then I also cut nested circles(1/2 inch smaller) out of "poster" board. I kinda gather the "ring" of fabric around the ring of poster board and iron it, then I just top stitch it onto the white block! some blocks will have a ten inch circle as the largest and a two inch circle as the smallest, some will have nine inch for the biggest and one inch for the smallest. the fabrics are duplicated in some but the circles are not, there is only ONE circle of each size, The ten inch and nine inch blocks are going to be exact opposites, or the fabrics are reversed its hard to explain! lol I hope to have it done soon so I can post pictures!

I was going to use the bias tape method but it seemed like such a waste of fabric to cut it on the bias and only use so much of it, it was going to cost A LOT more also!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kathy Reichs and Linda Emond on "Bones Are Forever" Audio Book
Kathy Reichs and Linda Emond on "Bones Are Forever"
Rebecca Serle on "When You Were Mine"
Get Energized with Pete Cerqua
"Make Your Leadership Come Alive" Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...