A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,028
Currently Running With Scissors:
580 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kokeshi doll patterned tote  (Read 3486 times)
Tags for this thread: iron_on_letters  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dolly Mixx
« on: January 23, 2009 09:45:53 AM »

I ordered some some totebags to use for stamping. They arrived today, so I got stuck in.

I like the design, but am unsure if the dolls need faces? And also unsure if I want the text to stay- it was handpainted, I am thinking I should wait until I can afford some foam letters and then make stamps and do the rest that way. (the stamp I used I made myself out of foam, and a woodblock). I think I might also eliminate the "stand out", but again, am unsure. What do you think? The rest of the bags just have the dolls, this one was a tester for myself.

Maybe just a face on the pink doll? Help!!!

I am liking the main design though-I also like the non perfectness of the handstamped dolls. CC (constructive criticism) welcome and wanted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xahhitsliz
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009 09:51:45 AM »

personally i love it
I think it is so cute
I do see what your saying about the lack of faces
hmm maybe just like eyes?
or maybe just lips?
I really dont know but I really really like it the way it is :]
great job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love.
- Albert Einstein
LunaKitten
LunaKitten Kreations

I have affairs with fictitious characters.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009 09:56:12 AM »

I think you should try a face on the pink doll. I didn't know they were dolls till I read the post, perhaps just with a face on that one would explain the concept better. I really like the idea though. And the text doesn't look sloppy, so I think it's just fine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Substantial Wist Smiley

Forget all the other crafting tools, what I really want is a sonic screwdriver!!!!

Blessed Be!

I'm up for personal swaps! PM Me! Smiley

Etsy Shop
BioChickiee
I'm easily satisfied with the very best

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009 10:08:47 AM »

i like them, try it with the eyes see what it looks like. Maybe a black bow on the pink one... anyways i liked the imperfectness of the paint but i think you should get the letter stamps or you can use iron on transfer for the words
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bluegoddess
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009 10:38:32 AM »

I didn't get that they were dolls either.  I think a face on just the pink one would make that more clear, and reinforce the "stand out" message.  I can see both sides of having/not having the words Stand Out.  The message gets across without it, but it's nice to have a message.  But, having more words makes the website blend in more, people would be less likely to remember it after seeing the bag in passing.  I don't mind the handwritten words, I think they match the irregularity of the stamped dolls (which I love!).  It would look more manufactured with stamped or iron-on letters (you might want that, I dunno).  Maybe drawing in some pencil lines to make them a little more even would make you like them more?  Or using a paint pen instead of a brush, brushes like to be fuzzy at the start of lines.

Just giving some ideas...I think it's really cute the way it is!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lody
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009 10:41:39 AM »

I got that they were faces, but I think they'd look adorable with some little dot eyes.  As for the text--I'd keep the stand out (especially in those nice clean capitals) and move the url elesewhere. It does not work as part of the design, it looks way too..advertis-y, and to me the font just doesn't match the rest of the bag.  Plus it's stuck so close to stand out that stand out doesn't... stand out XDD
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009 10:42:09 AM by Lody - Reason: (typo) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like penguins, stars, rainbows and blue.
If your project has any of these, don't be surprised to see me post in it! Cheesy
malisha

♫ If i ever lose my knees... i wont have 2 beg ♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009 11:09:29 AM »

i love it!
i got the idea ! the dolls would look even better with a face!
and... i love the "stand out" quote!!! so keep it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live in mexico, I can send loads of mexican stuff ...I'd swap for crafting supplies and scrapbooking supplies (PM if interested)

"Only when the last tree has been cut, and the last fish has been killed, then mankind will understand that money can't be eaten"

http://www.wists.com/malisha
Annie-bleam

I love all things old made new!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009 11:16:47 AM »

Very cute, I love the message and the method!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not all who wander are lost- especially true for artists!
My art blog:  preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'AnalisArtBlog.blogspot.com')
My mini etsy shop: AnaliMWG.etsy.com
sam07

learning to hex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009 06:15:43 PM »

I think they look good. maybe sharpie some eyes in black on all the black haired girls, and the pink one give green or blue dot eyes. The hair bow is a good idea as well, but I would "either/or" the eyes or bows. also the URL maybe should be in pink to complement the pink haired girl- maybe outlined in ?(black/Green/ blue) to make it stand out if it is hard to see. That way there is follow thru on the stand out theme. Also, maybe lose the "curvy" y in your URL- it doesn't sent a confident message( just my opinion, I am very weird so maybe it's just me). Very good work so far!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OmJane
-Tanya [tawn-yuh]

clickity clack.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009 06:36:10 PM »

What I would do: Add eyes, add bow to pink doll, remove "stand out" seems redundant

but if you kept the "stand out": write the .com a bit more squat, keep the different font style, make "stand out" bold

i love the stamping, and i CAN tell they are dolls

dont forget to post your results, id love to see the finished product
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog: Flour and Fleece

"On the contrary, it is you who are crazy to think that you are mighty because you can wound and destroy. That is the task of children. The mighty know how to create and heal."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own Glow in the Dark Art
How to Paint with Oils
Watercolor Painting Techniques
How to Paint with Acrylics
Graffiti Expert Paes 164
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...