A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October News Announcement: Crafting your Halloween costume this year?  Enter it for a chance to win prizes!  Read the spooktacular details here.
Total Members: 308,413
Currently Running With Scissors:
461 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday 1-23-09  (Read 3239 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
Sit and Spin

I am Sci-Fi

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2009 09:42:16 PM »

Thanks for all the compliments everyone! Thenutmeg2000 love the yarn and I can't wait to get your batt!
I love everyone else yarns too!

Personal Swap Friendly!

My Wists  http://wists.com/Faren

New hand spun yarns listed! 2/27/10
a total blam blam

Nature and making stuff.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009 09:51:59 PM »

I see many beauties, and several fellow mill enders!

Well, it's 9:00 on a Friday night.  What better time to make my inaugural post to Fiber Friday?  Got a story to tell and lots of pictures, hope this works.

So, I started on a spindle.  First ever yarn: cotton I handpicked from a field in Alabama.  Plied with silk thread I had laying around.

I loved spinning, so I upped the anty and ordered mill ends from Sheep Shed Studio.  Along with it came 4+ oz. of free mystery fiber!  Second yarn: some of that.

Then I dyed up a batch of mill ends with koolaid. 

Third yarn: we'll call her Hindsight is 20/20, because I wished I'd left it as an unplied single, but by the time I realized that, it was far too late.  I still took lots of pictures.

Fourth yarn: Neon Carousel.  Self-striping, with each color barber-poling into the next.  A bit underspun so I felted it to make it stronger.

THEN!  I found a lady on craigslist who was offering her Babe Spinnrock spinning wheel for free!  She also gave me a big ball of pink roving and sold me ~3 lbs. of a scoured CVM fleece for $15.  Here's the wheel with a little of the newly-carded CVM (bad lighting):

First wheel yarn: her name is NOOB.  I used bits of my newly-acquired fibers and some sparkly Easter straw to practice coils, corespinning, see how bulky my wheel will let me get, and just generally get used to spinning on a wheel.  Plied with silk thread, another free find.

The latest: Princess Melon.  The last of my koolaid batch.  Sooo soft and squishy.

I had to make out with it.  And smell it.  This picture's embarrassing.  Why am I putting it up here?
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009 10:51:34 PM »

HOLY CRAP a free wheel? wow! You're getting off to an excellent start! All your yarns look so squishy and yummy X3

Glued to the spinning wheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009 01:24:07 AM »

Such great yarns, as every week! Nice to see a few newbies - and a free wheel, wow!

My current dilemma is that I can't find my camera. Sad

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2009 08:01:34 AM »

Congrats on your first FF Rhymesworange!

So here's my little contribution to a fantastic fiber friday

Water Grave - Falkland Wool, 175 yards. Roving from Theartsateaglesfind.etsy.com

Sweet Agatha - British Fine Shetland, 80 yds, 2-ply.

So I have a question. Does anyone here have a Ashford Kiwi and have difficulty spinning up a full 4 ounces on theirs?
No bulky flyer or woolee winder.

Yep.  With the regular flyer, it's quite difficult to get 4 full ounces on the bobbin.  Even with a jumbo flyer, I can only fit less than 6 oz.  Then again, it's also kinda nice, because you get done with a skein much faster Tongue  Results are always nice!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009 08:03:27 AM by knkurz - Reason: Forgot to remove pictures :D » THIS ROCKS   Logged

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2009 08:15:16 AM »

The yarns totally amaze me this week.  Such good quality, even from the newbies.  Amazing job everyone!!!

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mermaid Tail Blanket
October 19, 2016 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Vanilla Extract

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...