A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 301,981
Currently Running With Scissors:
656 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dying Silk ? Help !  (Read 1856 times)
Tags for this thread: shibori  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2006 06:16:07 AM »

So...I was thinking. Silk is pretty dyeable right? Works with both acid (for protein) dye and fiber-reactive (cotton/plant dye). You can dye wool with kool-aid and icing dye, set with vinegar, do these work on silk? How well?

theoretically, but all the same caveats apply--color shifting is likely, and you'll have very little control over the saturation. 

i will be honest, i've never used kool-aid or icing colors to dye fabric because they are horribly expensive compared to acid dye, and for my job i need complete control over the final result.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do: www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
ruis2002
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006 06:31:08 AM »

I took a silk dyeing class, and the instructor had us use fiber reactive dyes. You have to dip your silk in a baking soda ("soda ash") solution first, so the dyes will set properly and not bleed later. Granted, we were doing tiedye in several colors, so we didn't care too much about having uniform color. If you are just dyeing your garment one solid color, you might want to go with the acid dyes someone else suggested.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006 06:46:20 AM »

You can dye wool with kool-aid and icing dye, set with vinegar, do these work on silk? How well?

Well, I did it and it turned out fine, for my needs. I understand the advantages of acid dye and they may be cheaper, but I dye very little and icing dye is easy to get my hands on.

This is my shibori scarf, first dye

http://static.flickr.com/76/163011851_d01522a8a7_m.jpg

Overdye, OK, the picture doesn't show the fine blue to blue/green color variation, but it is there and really cool!

http://static.flickr.com/65/163011881_8475858746.jpg
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006 08:06:54 AM by hoxierice » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
bambidandi

Cookies anyone?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006 09:26:40 PM »

Can I dye silk with Kool aid?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ma2maya
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006 12:53:05 PM »

You sure can. You will want to use unsweetened drink mix to avoid a sticky mess. [ur=lhttp://www.pburch.net/dyeing/FAQ/drinkmix.shtml]Paula Burch[/url] recommends about 1 package per ounce of fiber.
Since most drink mixes contain an acid(citric, malic...)you don't necessarily need to presoak your silk in vinegar. If you choose not to just soak it in h20. After it has soaked, squeeze out excess wetness. You can bind the silk like you would for tie-dyeing or leave it unbound and apply the dye. You should dissolve the drink mix in just a small amounbt of water. Remember, the more dilluted the drink mix the lighter your final color.

Having your silk dyed, either cover the glass/ceramic dish or bowl with plastic or put your item in a plastic baggie and seal it. Put this in the microwave and nuke for an approximate total of 2 minutes, doing this in intervals of 15 seconds or so. Doing this stopping and starting allows your package to steam up but then gives the steam time to settle so you don't have a colorful explosion of steam in your microwave.

After you have "steamed" your silk let it kool(ha,ha!) all the way rinse it in cool water until the water runs clear. Some textile detergent(synthaprol) or a mild soap(i.e. shampoo or Dawn dish soap) are helpful in the rinsing process.

Wink
Kathy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Desert Dyeworks Color, meet Fabric!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What are the Different Parts on the Violin
Violin Lessons - How to Hold the Violin Bow
How Difficult is the Violin to Learn
Can I Learn the Violin as an Adult Beginner
How to Play the Song "JUST AS I AM" on a Dobro
Latest Blog Articles
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...