A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,916
Currently Running With Scissors:
656 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dying Silk ? Help !  (Read 1743 times)
Tags for this thread: shibori  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pink_eyeliner
« on: March 17, 2005 03:02:44 AM »

My friend has got a silk top which is white. she would like to Dye black, or darkpurple. Is it possible to dye silk? do we need a special dye, or will nay clothing specific one do ?

we live in england, so english products would be best reccomended..
anyone help ?
thanx
<33
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitchwitch
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005 05:11:27 AM »

Go to dharmatrading.com.  They have a couple of great tutorials on dyeing. They are in the "How To" section. There is a tut on how to dye silk in the microwave. As for supplies - I'm in the US, so I have no idea what's available in your area. Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ruis2002
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006 01:36:17 PM »

Here is another silk dyeing tutorial I found on the internet, creates shibori look on a budget:

http://www.thehipcircle.com/article/display.asp?ArticleID=143
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006 02:36:21 PM »

silk dyes very well.  The site for Dharma Trading Co. (already recommended) has Dylon dye.  It's a cold water dye that works very well on silk (well in general, but really well on things that really shouldn't be boiled in water)

I really don't know if its available (other than by mail order) in the UK, but I do know it will give you the color you want... just be prepared to have to do a lot of rinsing to get excess dye out of your project and expect that it may continue to bleed color (hand washing it alone will keep it from doing anything nasty to anything else.)  Dylon is the best (least bleeding after dying, no hot water, easiest prep) of all the dyes I've worked with.  i may still play with R.I.T. (what can I say?  It's cheap)  but that's more for woodworking anymore.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006 05:54:57 PM »

no no no to RIT, no no no to dylon.  neither is appropriate or effective for silk.

you need an acid dye--don't freak out, the acid is just vinegar.  you can dye it in the washing machine (yes, in a front loader, i do it all the time).

you CAN use fiber reactives but the color shifts on silk so you don't have much control (dylon is fiber reactive).

in england, the brand you are looking for is kemtex.  you can get in touch with them directly and they can tell you where you can find it locally.  kemtex is in manchester (sorry, i don't have the phone number handy).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do: www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
cmoore
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006 06:22:18 PM »

Fibre reactives do work on the strange animal known as silk. I've never had a colour shift with them and have used them often-though I usually make sure I set by steaming. Dylon is also a British company.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006 06:52:48 PM »

fiber reactives DO work on silk, i mentioned that.  but for true control over the color, you need acid dyes.  you can use fiber reactives in an acid environment, but the color shift is too great for my needs.

i dye approximately 200 yards of fabric per season in my job, so i'm pretty familiar with the process, and for dyEing silk, i wouldn't trust a fiber reactive unless the outcome was not important to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do: www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
ma2maya
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006 07:44:03 PM »

Yes fiber reactive dyes do work well on silk(what I use exclusively). However, the color swatches that you see, whether  in the catalog or online, are geared for cotton. I am not generally looking for precise coloring in my pieces so the slight color shifts are not a worry for me.

That being said, you can get a decent black using MX dyes on silk, but you will get a much better black using an acid dye. Fibrecrafts is a good source in the UK. It looks as if they carry Jacqaurd acid dye as well as their own brand.

Grin
Kathy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Desert Dyeworks Color, meet Fabric!!
hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006 10:04:39 PM »

So...I was thinking. Silk is pretty dyeable right? Works with both acid (for protein) dye and fiber-reactive (cotton/plant dye). You can dye wool with kool-aid and icing dye, set with vinegar, do these work on silk? How well?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006 10:09:09 PM by hoxierice » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
mmd32
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006 03:27:18 AM »

Just seconding everyone's advice. You can dye silk with fiber reactive dyes, and it can come out okay, but you won't be able to get silk to go black or deep, rich saturated colors without an acid dye.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Text Effects Instantly in Gimp
How to Make Funny Cartoons with Existing Pictures
How to Make HD-Quality Videos with Camtasia Studio
How to Create Moving Text GIFs
How to Use Prolines Vol 2 Sports Poster
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...