A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,769
Currently Running With Scissors:
495 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilt design computer software?  (Read 522 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: January 22, 2009 07:54:38 AM »

I'm very new to quilting but I've been sewing since I could pic up a needle. I'm making a t-shirt quilt right now and I've been researching quilting like crazy. I will probably pic up a book about it.

My question is: Do any of you currently use, or have used before, computer software for designing quilts? I am interested in making some very original quilts of my own design. And I thought using software to do it would make it much easier.

If you have used a software program for quilts, could you tell me what you used, how you like it, and if you recommend it for quilt beginners who want to really excel in quilting? Or if you recommend any programs at all or another method to create original quilts. (I am very computer savy so that is not a problem. It's quilting I'm new at.)

A craft a day keeps the stabbiness away.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009 08:43:34 AM »

I have EQ6, and I love it.  It has thousands of pre-loaded blocks you can use.  Or, you can draw out your own blocks--though I find the drawing part a little cumbersome.  For example, it doesn't let you draw an already-shaped square (if that makes sense); you have to draw four lines to make a square.  But that's a minor complaint, and I've been able to draw many blocks on my own.  Also, you can modify the existing pre-made blocks to make new blocks out of them.

It lets you color blocks anyway you want--with flat colors or with pre-loaded manufacturer's fabrics.  Or you can scan your own fabrics and use those, too.  That's pretty cool.

Then, it lets you take the drawn blocks and add them to a layout grid to see what the quilt will look like when it's finished.

You can also take photographs of your sewn blocks and add them to layouts.  That's nice, and I did this for a block swap I was in.  I'm also using this feature to design an afghan for my crochet blocks.

But, the best thing, I think, is that you can print out the dimensions for rotary-cutting, foundation piecing or templates for the blocks.  And, you can print these out for any size block you want.  So if you design a block at 6" and change your mind and want it 8" or larger (or smaller), it automatically adjusts the sizes for you.

It's very easy to learn and has a nice book that goes along with it or videos to help you out.

It's not cheap (around $150), but I think very worth it.

I would definitely recommend it.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009 10:36:40 AM »

Thanks for the great reply! I will look at that program. I've been researching the different kinds. I would like to get a really good one like that.

A craft a day keeps the stabbiness away.

mashley forever

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009 12:54:46 AM »

I also have EQ6 and would recommend it. My favorite feature is that after I design my quilt, the program will give me a list of how much of each fabric I need to buy. I always bought way too much and ended up with a lot of leftover fabric, and now I know just how much to buy.

I'm working on getting my blog up, check it out! Smiley

msassive stroke March 18 not right in the head.:(

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009 10:29:53 AM »

I use CorelDraw to lay out all of my quilting patterns, mostly wall hanging type. But CorelDraw or Illustrator have an insert grid feature where you can specify the size or uniformity of the grid. Then you can use images of fabric or solids and 'power clip' them inside of the blocks. I started graphics programs about 16 years ago, and just recently decided to integrate the two.

Good luck with your quilt.

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Choosing the Right Tools for Sewing Projects
Choosing Fabric for Sewing Projects
How to Select Stitch Length in Sewing Projects
Crochet for Beginners: Slip Stitch
What Is Crochet
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...