A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,707
Currently Running With Scissors:
761 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help Tusconan Crafters  (Read 1320 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

v3nu5
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

View Profile WWW
« on: January 22, 2009 04:55:25 AM »

Hey there fellow Arizona Craftsters. I'm looking to buy my first spinning wheel for DIY yarns and was wondering if any of you knew where I might go to look at or purchase one in Tucson. If I can't find one, I would like to at least buy some wool roving and try hand spinning on a whorl. I've checked Michaels and Jo'Anns but no luck.
I have also been to every Bookmans in town looking for Amigurumi books but haven't had any luck in that subject either. Buying new just isn't in my budget right now. I'm really starting to feel saddened by all these dead ends. Now to make it a bit worse, Value Village on 4th Ave. is being greatly down-sized and most of their stock has depleted.

If any one can help me out with a location or even a name of a wool store I'd appreciated it. Thank you! ~V
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spazkitty

Evil is relative.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009 10:44:41 AM »

Hallo there! Fellow Tucsonan looking to help you out a little! There's a place I could recommend for the spinning wheel (I asked a friend and she told me about it, I personally don't know much about making yarn...)

Grandma's Spinning Wheel on Tanque Verde:
www.grandmasspinnin gwheel.com

Also, you might want to check out the Tucson Handweavers and Spinners Guild. They might have some resources (again reccommended by my friend):
http://www.thsg.org/index.html

As for looking fro used books and equpiment, have you tried the Tanque Verde Swapmeet? I mean, it's a long shot, but you never know what you might find! Spinning wheels might be there! Maybe even books! And if money is an issue I'd check the public libraries for crochet books. I know I've seen Creepy Cute at the Columbus branch. I actually lucked out and found my own copy of Creepy Cute at Bookman's, but they seem to lack any amount of crochet books.

Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Steampunk Clock Hand Accessories Starting at $5, ntohing over $20: http://www.antickquities.etsy.com
v3nu5
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009 12:59:02 AM »

This does help, thanks. I've been trying to look at the Swap Meet lately but no suck luck. Really nice Vintage/antique singers sewing machines but no books or Spinning materials.  I think I will try Grandma's out, hopefully I can try at Bookman's again next month and find something. Thanks again!  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Broccoli Rice Casserole
Seared Orange Salmon - Alaska Salmon Recipe #3
Crab Cakes with Lemongrass Mustard Mayo
Zesty Italian Salmon - Alaska Salmon Recipe #2
The Rookie Cook: How to Make French Toast
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...