A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
464 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Resin instead of liquid sculpey?  (Read 945 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

purplewitchhazel
Why is there cat fur up my nose?

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2009 03:26:12 PM »

I know that liquid glass cannot be baked (i'm guessing lol). But i was wondering, can i use liquid glass to glaze a baked piece of polymer clay? I do not have liquid clay, and i don't even think my art supplies store sells it.

I want to give some of my pieces a shiny finish, does the resin react at all with the clay? I saw this gorgeous tutorial on miniature pancakes as well, and i would've been able to make it except to do the 'syrup' you have to colour liquid clay with pastal and drizzle it over the top THEN bake. Has anyone done anything like this but instead, baked then added the resin after?

HEEELP!! Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009 03:45:02 PM »

I have coated some of my pieces with resin and they turn out great..I love mini food..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009 09:10:30 AM »

Sure, you can use epoxy resin over baked polymer clay (...btw, "Aristocrat's Liquid Glass" is one brand of epoxy resin, though there are several other products named "Liquid Glass" as well that aren't the same thing). 
(It's best not to heat resins after they're cured since that can discolor them or otherwise make them less than desirable at certain temps.)

I want to give some of my pieces a shiny finish

Epoxy resin will give a high-gloss finish to polymer clay but it's not as commonly used as polyurethane (especially the brand Varathane--gloss, water-washup) and as Future-Pledge (a cyanoacrylate floor polish).  The brand new version of Sculpey Glaze is also a polyurethane but may not be quite as sink-in-able as the Varathane brand. 
Other clear finishes can be used too, but like epoxy resins they're either more easily scratachble or more susceptible to later humidity and cloudiness (e.g., gloss acrylic medium, clear embossing powders, "dimensional" glues, etc.). 
Some clear acrylic fingernail polishes are also not so scratchable, but will be more expensive by volume than Varathane or Future.

Epoxy resins also aren't UV resistant (Future also) and can yellow over time with a lot of direct exposure to sun, etc., which is another reason UV-resistant polyurethanes are good, and in fact are often used as a final coat over epoxy resins and some of the other scratchable mediums for strength as well as UV protection.

I saw this gorgeous tutorial on miniature pancakes as well, and i would've been able to make it except to do the 'syrup' you have to colour liquid clay with pastal and drizzle it over the top THEN bake. Has anyone done anything like this but instead, baked then added the resin after?

If you want to use epoxy resin, it would be best to put it on baked polymer clay to avoid yellowing/etc. 
Since syrup is on the yellow-brown side itself though, plus the fact that any particulate/opaque/colored matter put in resin will tend to make any yellowing less observable, you could always try.

Miniaturists have always used the other clear mediums I mentioned above when making drippy stuff like this (many don't even know about liquid polymer clay)...for example, they use Future (which is thinner unless left out a day or two), polyurethane, clear acrylic mediums, etc.  Those can be "tinted" with water-based colorants (acrylic paints, certain inks, etc, and perhaps even alcohol inks though those may need to evaporate the alcohol out awhile), as well as being able to be colored by having particulate "inclusions" like various powders, glitters, etc. put in them.  They've used those things for miniature fake foods, ponds, blood, and just all kinds of liquidy things.

I do not have liquid clay, and i don't even think my art supplies store sells it.

You can buy liquid polymer clay in most craft stores, Joanns, etc., and online... the brand may vary though depending on where you are.  (The Polyform/Sculpey version is the least clear if that matters--though there are ways to make all the brands clearer, Kato's version is the thinnest and most self-leveling and clearer, and Fimo's may be the clearest when very thick.)
If you want to check out liquid clays and their differences and how to use, where to buy them, etc., check out this page:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/LiquidSculpey.htm

HTH,

Diane B.

Anyone interested in having a Resins board at Craftster, post your "vote" in this thread:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=160523.msg3264966#msg3264966

« Last Edit: January 23, 2009 09:14:23 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Dry Shampoo
How to Use a Round Brush
How to Style Layered Long Hair
How to Straighten Your Hair with a Round Brush
How to Straighten Your Hair with a Flat Iron
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...