A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,535
Currently Running With Scissors:
621 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Broken Spool Pin, Brother PS 33  (Read 1299 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Luinecu

"Sleep is a symptom of caffeine deprivation."

View Profile WWW
« on: January 21, 2009 09:27:36 AM »

Hello all,

I moved house at the start of the week, and quite typically, something *had* to break. This time my poor sewing machine fell victim and the spool pin snapped off Cry

I have a brother PS 33, and I've opened it up, but can't even see how the thing even attaches, let alone how to get a new one on. Does anyone have a similar machine and can offer any advise?

It looks like a laterally placed metal pin holds the spool pin shaft in place, but there doesn't seem to be a way to get the pin out. Help?

Any suggestions as to where I could find a new spool pin would also be much appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Luinecu
x x o

Livejournal // Wists
elijor
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009 01:49:22 PM »

No help on fixing that one except to say a sewing machine repair shop would surely be able to help.

I can offer an alternative that you could use temporarily or maybe never both to fix it. You can buy or make a thread stand. Here is one you can buy (just providing the link for the picture not an endorsement for the store) at places like JoAnn's. Instructable's has a tute for making your own.

A tip for using a thread stand is to place the stand so the the tread comes of and enters the first thread guide on the machine at about the same angle as it would from the spool pin. It might be higher in the air but should still be in the same general direction.

In a real pinch my mom has used a coffee cup to hold the spool and a paperclip taped to the machine. That functioned much like the thread stands above.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Luinecu

"Sleep is a symptom of caffeine deprivation."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009 09:36:12 PM »

Thank you for the thrifty ideas! Very much appreciated since I really really can't afford to take the machine to a shop what with moving house*sigh*

Hopefully this will be something I can fix myself, but I may call around the local shops to see what they'd charge anyway, I'm just worried because last time I took one it cost 80 Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Luinecu
x x o

Livejournal // Wists
de_sjiem
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009 08:18:54 AM »

I once had a spool pin broken off, and I just glued part of an antenna tube from an old radio where the spool pin was supposed to go.. worked pretty well.. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Half-Up Updo
How to Do a Low Ponytail
How to Manage Long Hair in Hot Weather
How to Style Long Hair to Look Short
How to Condition Hair
Latest Blog Articles
The Zombie Trend: Now... Sheep!
Meatless Monday: Mashed Chickpea Salad Sammy
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...