A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,190
Currently Running With Scissors:
428 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: An IKEA fabric makeover for our kitchen sofa  (Read 1634 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tuatara
« on: January 21, 2009 05:37:47 AM »

My in-laws gave us a Swedish wooden "kitchen sofa" when we moved into our new house - and I love it, but a wooden sofa is not the most comfortable thing to sit on!

While shopping in IKEA one day I saw a pile of this fabric: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60141083 on sale and had a vision.

So I convinced my husband that I needed a few bolts of this fabric and 5 cheap cushions.  He let me buy it all (and didn't even argue that I could use the stash!) and went into town to get a big piece of foam from a store that makes boat cushions.  I covered the five cheap cushions first (easy) and then tackled making a seat cushion by covering the big piece of foam (trickier).

Now the vision is complete!

Now my butt doesn't go to sleep if I sit here to eat my breakfast, and it's in a nice spot that catches the morning sun so it's nice to stretch out on.  I'm really pleased!

I have loads of fabric left, and I'm considering using it as a cheap option for trying my first quilt ... if I dare.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
colourandy
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009 06:02:42 AM »

That's cute. I really like the detail in the sofa.

I think you should dare ,  & good luck ! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaFee
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009 06:38:47 AM »

That's a gorgeous piece of furniture, and your covers are lovely! Well done Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009 08:31:54 AM »

looks great!  I'm afraid I've never come across the idea of a kitchen sofa before, though.  huh.  Wink

Also, quilting is fun, and you should try it.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tuatara
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009 09:00:36 AM »

I'm afraid I've never come across the idea of a kitchen sofa before, though.  huh.  Wink

Neither had I, before coming to Sweden - I think it's a uniquely Scandinavian thing.  The seat lifts up so you can store things inside - very handy for keeping blankets and random stuff.  Apparently, they even used it as a cot when my husband was a baby!

I'm really keen to try a quilt, but I have a couple of other house projects that are a bit more pressing at the moment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009 10:14:02 PM »

I've heard of kitchen benches which is just sort of like a wooden bench in place of kitchen chairs (usually there would be chairs on the other side of the table) but I like your version way better!  Does the boat foam make it waterproof?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tuatara
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009 12:34:17 AM »

I've heard of kitchen benches which is just sort of like a wooden bench in place of kitchen chairs (usually there would be chairs on the other side of the table) but I like your version way better! 

Actually, we have one of those too!  But it is still in the process of being shipped here (we moved just before Christmas) and I have no idea where we'll put it when it arrives ...

Does the boat foam make it waterproof?

Nope, the foam is ordinary foam - for boat cushions they would normally cover it with waterproof fabric.  That could have been handy though, since we have a baby on the way  ;-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009 01:09:04 AM »

Nope, the foam is ordinary foam - for boat cushions they would normally cover it with waterproof fabric.  That could have been handy though, since we have a baby on the way  ;-)

Ahh, I see.  So I assume it's not too different than the thick foam they sell at craft stores. No baby here, I just spill my cereal lots!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tuatara
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009 02:15:15 AM »

Ahh, I see.  So I assume it's not too different than the thick foam they sell at craft stores. No baby here, I just spill my cereal lots!   Grin

Yep, it's just standard foam ... I don't know where to find craft stores around here yet, and someone recommended the boat-cushion company as a good place where I could get a big piece cut to the right size.  I also bought another big chunk to make a hanging headboard for our bed - that's the next project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EmilyFlew
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009 06:27:42 PM »

This turned out lovely, and I like the idea of a kitchen sofa! Sounds relaxing! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Squeeze and Solitude - AHEC and RCA Collaboration
Pumpkin Carving Ideas and Techniques
How to Use Everyday Items to Protect Book Covers
How to Make an Art Smock
How to Make a Cigar Box Pocketbook
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...