A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,720
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: UNC Sorority T-shirt Quilt *Step by Step Photos Added* COMPLETED  (Read 23484 times)
Tags for this thread: template  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissMatched
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009 07:23:25 PM »

Are you putting borders around each of the t-shirt blocks or are you just going to piece them together?  I have TONS of sorority t-shirts that I know I need to do something with...

What are you using to back your quilt?  Do you think it would be a bad idea to make another "face" for the back?  Does it need more stability?  I've never made a quilt before, but with my mom's help, I think I could do this!!!  It's all straight stitching.  Wish me luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RockDragon
Slayer of Dragons with Rocking Crafts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009 07:42:32 PM »

That is a great way to keep old sorority shirts!  If I had enough fraternity shirts I would do the same thing, but alas, no such luck.  Looks nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cherry5
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009 08:34:02 PM »

OOOOOOOOOO! Please continue with pics as the project continues. It looks great and classy. I'm envious! And the Paul Frank is too cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stick

"I'm Only Good At Being Young"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009 09:05:42 PM »

Can I just say I love Craftster!  You guys rock!

MissMatched: No, I have chose not to sash them, that is what I learned the term is for those little borders around each block.  This thing is WAY too big to begin with for only my 2nd quilt!  Eek!  As far as the back my friend (and I) love polka dots.  So in true UNC fashion I am going to do a Carolina blue with white polka dots for the back.  Binding has not been decided yet.
http://www.fabric.com/Webdata/Product/d79ad36e-2d99-47c7-acf8-eee2264e87b4/Images/Medium_AR-589.jpg
The fabric image is from www.fabric.com

As far as stability, I cannot stress enough how much I love iron on interfacing!  It works like a charm!  Plus it is the lighter weight that is like .99 cents a yard at Joanns.  Perfect with a 40% coupon when you buy a massive amount like I did! Smiley  MissMatched, I have step-by-step pictures of the whole process if you think you would like to see them I can post them.

cherry5: Don't worry I could totally get carried away with picture taking and craftster posting Wink  You'll see plenty more, probably more than you would like!  Cheesy

mindboggld: The little corner patchwork squares are my favorites too... thanks!

Padester, Eliea, lurv2knit, and RockDragon: Thank you so much for taking the time to "spread a little love around".  It always thrills me to see some feedback on my projects!  I am glad that you like it so far!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009 10:48:30 AM by jungrrl - Reason: Please do not hotlink images - thanks! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stick Officially Has Wists!
http://www.wists.com/appstatestick/all
boogirl1984
"If she wants to rock, she rocks. If she wants to roll, she rolls."

Carolina Girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009 09:22:33 PM »

First of all, I went to UNC as well and I recognize way too many of the shirts in the pic.  :-)  Second, it looks great!  I have stack of shirts from high school I've been wanting to do this to but have been afraid to start.  (And I can't even think of cutting up any of my UNC shirts just yet, I'm still too attached.)  And the choice of backing fabric is perfect!  Good luck finishing and please post pics when you are done.  I'm sure your friend will love it!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009 09:26:11 PM by boogirl1984 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

amalgam
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009 10:15:45 PM »

That's what I love about crafting. You find ways to keep stuff that still has sentimental value and make it into something useful. Your quilt top looks so professional. And this is only your second quilt?! I'm impressed. Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have an UFO(Unfinished Object) that you want to see get done? Join the Finish My UFO Swap! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=433415.0#axzz31MVlWM80

http://www.wists.com/liko_2000
http://pinterest.com/liko_2000
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009 07:52:52 AM »

That is really cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
McJulie-O
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009 11:04:48 AM »

I love your pieced corners! What an excellent way to save pertinent parts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stick

"I'm Only Good At Being Young"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009 05:54:02 PM »

boogirl1984: Small world that you went to UNC too!  I went to Appalachian Smiley

amalgam, meletiffic, and McJulie-O: Thanks for your comments!  You're right amalgam, crafting is extra awesome when you are taking something you love anyways and making it even better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stick Officially Has Wists!
http://www.wists.com/appstatestick/all
alixianervosa

That's what she said

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009 06:06:05 PM »

I'm stealing your pocket idea  Grin

I'm making 4 blocks.

I've possibly eliminated some more shirts.  I have the main layout and I'm trying to add the smaller pieces to the border.  I'll take pictures soon, I need a new cutting mat and blade for my rotary cutter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If God wanted us to walk, he wouldn't have invented roller skates." -Willy Wonka
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Male Grooming Tips
Hair Color Tips
How to Curl Your Hair With a Flat Iron
How to Flat Iron Your Hair
How to Choose a Flat Iron
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...