My best friend went to UNC-Chapel Hill and was in a sorority. She had all these shirts she never wore anymore but could not part with. She knew that I had made a t-shirt quilt before http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=266345.0
and asked me to make this one for her.
Here it is completed! I am so pleased with it! I need a better picture though!
This is the back, along with a label that was printed on printable fabric (I love that stuff)
Here it is in stages...
First off, I cut all the pocket designs out roughly.
Then turn the shirt piece logo side down and place a piece of iron-on interfacing (light weight) over the top of the shirt. Make sure that the interfacing is bigger that the logo.
Cover these layers with a kitchen town and squirt with water until damp. I found this technique on a blog I read daily called Pink Chalk Studio http://pinkchalkstudio.com/blog/
Iron. Press the iron straight down, do not move back and forth.
Ta da! Now you have like 35 more to do...
Then I used a 5 1/2 block and cut out squares.
I used a solid piece of each shirt to have a little more to work with in these "patchwork" blocks. I ended up with four 15 1/2 inch blocks, which I placed a 15 inch quilt block template on and trimmed as I would use that 15 block for the large design and I wanted everything uniform. Here is a close up on those 4 blocks...
Then I did the same thing with the larger image on the back of the shirts, except I used a 15x15 inch quilt block template. You can see the interfacing on the back here...
Look how deep the stack of shirt backs is!
In the end I had 25 blocks with big designs and 4 patchwork blocks that I placed at each corner. In this picture you can see everything laid out on my kitchen floor. I am sitting in the middle of the quilt to show size and to hide the missing block. That shirt is in the mail, I need one more and my best friend is sending 2 because there is one block I am not too happy with...
So hopefully I will get those shirts Saturday and I can start putting the quilt top together! I'll be back with pictures of the finished project!
Comments and Concerns Welcomed!