A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 316,613
Currently Running With Scissors:
305 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: suburbs of chicago?  (Read 6850 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

br0ken_11
« on: March 16, 2005 07:31:47 PM »

i can't seem to find any inexpensive stores (even goodwill!) near me. i live in arlington heights, any help would be much appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can tell by the state of my room that they let me out to soon,
and that the pills that i ate came a couple days too late...

//Dresden Dolls x
fadeawaydream
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005 10:37:29 PM »

What kind of stores are you looking for? I always find cheap fabric at JoAnn (Rand & Arlington Heights Rd). The sale section is amazing. As for other crafty type things, I opt for Michaels (there's one in Mt. Prospect and another in Palatine, check michaels.com for the one closest to you, if you haven't ventured to one before). Also, sometimes it's cheaper to buy supplies online from wholesalers and such--and eBay is always fun for random things. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EmilyBel
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005 01:31:28 PM »

I don't know how close you are to the Naperville/Aurora area, but in Aurora on Farnsworth Ave is a great resale store called 'Village Discount' that has tons of clothes, knicknacks, books, housewares, etc.    It takes some digging but I have gotten some great buys there and lots of kitschy stuff to craft with.

Also in Aurora is a 'Community Thrift Store' (I think it's on Chicago Ave, but could be wrong) and a Goodwill on Aurora/New York Ave (by Fox Valley Mall).

In Downtown Naperville there is a small church resale shop on Aurora Ave (right by Naperville Central HS) and a shop called 'Serendipty' right in the heart of Downtown Naperville (on Jefferson I believe)

Even if you're not too close it might be worth the drive if you could make a day of it and hit all of them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Bemmer19
theoffkeybandit
Space Cadet

smile on mighty jesus

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005 11:19:02 AM »

I don't go thrifting often, but Geneva is PACKED with antiques. like, it's not even funny. we need more vintage clothing stores. But....there is a goodwill store a few miles down Randall Road, if you are desperate. I've managed to find some awesome stuff there, btw. A tv...with a phone attached to it. A big plaid dress that I still haven't gotten around to altering. And millions of costumes for the plays I'm in at school! There's a Jo-Ann in Geneva as well. So...uhh....come to Geneva, land of the Antiques?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

put that DOWNIHIGGUM!
peanutbutterkp37
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005 03:39:04 PM »

There's a Goodwill in Mundelien. That's somewhat close to Arlington Heights I believe?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Flickr
Vegan Cookie Blog
I'm writing a vegan cookie blog.
theoffkeybandit
Space Cadet

smile on mighty jesus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005 01:59:22 PM »

oh yeah! and we have a resale shop downtown that's got mainly clothing that's in an old church as well, called the Hi-Hat house. and if you're an old woman/in search of some new fabric , you can go to Lynn's Limited Editions. both are in downtown geneva. can't believe I forgot those ones.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

put that DOWNIHIGGUM!
beanblossom
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005 11:37:02 AM »

There is a good resale store on Northwest highway, west of 53.  I think that it is called Wings.  It is a charity for women.  What I've found in the Chicago suburbs is that instead of big chains like Goodwill, there are smaller resale stores for charities.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May you live each day of your life. -Jonathan Swift
espressopunk
free to good home

'art is why i get up in the morning'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2005 01:15:32 PM »

i can't seem to find any inexpensive stores (even goodwill!) near me. i live in arlington heights, any help would be much appreciated.

there's a goodwill in villa park on roosevelt and midwest rd...it's about 35-40 minutes from Arl. Heights
THIS ROCKS   Logged
limey57
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006 08:05:38 PM »

I am a frequent visitor to many thrift stores in the nw burbs (I'm a BGer) and here's the names and locations of places I know...

Home of the Sparrow - NW Hwy and Hicks Rd in Palatine, located in the shopping center with Hobby Lobby
Wings, as stated above - corner of NW Hwy and Rohlwing Rd in Palatine
Twice Blest - NW Hwy and Plum Grove Rd in Palatine, in by where Quest Academy is
CatchPenny - Main St (Lake-Cook Rd) just east of Barrington Rd (Aka Hough St, I believe)
Goodwill - Midelothian and Rt. 45 in Mundelin, back behind stuff like Aldi's, but quite good
Salvation Army - 357 Townline Road, Mundelein, TONS of stuff, a wonderful store

I'm also a fan of the clearance table at Wal-Mart, which I'm sure you could get to.

Hope you have good luck with your thrifting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hko
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006 12:42:37 PM »

At Good Samaratin Hospital in Lombard...er Downers Grove (edge?)  there is a resale shop called the Gingham Tree.  It is a mile south of I-88 on Highland Ave.  It has some interesting stuff sometimes -and it is clean!  I recently raided the crafts area though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pretty Planters
Tute Tuesday: Scrap Busting Artwork
Let's Monkey Around!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...