A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 307,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
518 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: To Dye For sweater  (Read 25728 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lila_fowler
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2004 12:04:02 PM »

Also just a note on the Kool Aid dying. I used an eye dropped to put the colour on my mohair so I could actually control where it went. It looks more splotchy like the one in the book.

On a sad note I wasn't satisfied with how I was knitting it so I frogged the whole back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Athos
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2004 11:30:15 PM »

mondoferal - i made the medium. i have a 36" bust, and generally wear a size 8-10 (if i can get it over my chest!). the only problem with the fit that i had was the tight armholes and super-sized sleeves. have fun with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mondoferal
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2004 04:01:24 PM »

I heeded everyone's advice and altered the pattern to make an x-small (or small in normal person land). I co only 44 st and bo at 15" (instead of 17" like the pattern calls for). The armholes will be the same size as with the "small," though, so no worries there. I haven't finished yet, but it looks fantastically normally sized. I'll post pictures when I'm done with this sucker.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who are smart enough to know better.   -Tom Robbins
goodkarma
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2004 02:39:52 PM »

I finished all the pieces to this sweater a month or two ago and the idea of piecing it together doesn't thrill me. So it's been sitting in ziploc for a while. I think I'm afraid that it won't fit or something, but I won't know until I just do it, right?

Sadly for the sweater, I'm about to leave on a month-long vacation, so it'll wait. But I wanted to share what it looks like so far. Maybe this will force me to finish up? haha!

So here's a picture of the front and a sleeve... guess I didn't lay them out nice and flat before snapping away:

And here's a closeup of the color and lovely mohairyness:

When I get back in town, I'll finish 'er up and show you how it fits... if it fits!!
goodkarma
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lisacb
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2004 02:20:53 PM »

Sarah, from the picture your sweater turned out beautifully!
I've been making this sweater with Bernat's Soft Boucle (not as pretty as mohair, but fabulous for broke people Smiley ) The yarn was suggested by someone in a different forum...  It's turning out beautifully so far, and i've been keeping careful watch of the dimensions.  I've got really short arms, though it would be nice to have extra long sleeves. My house is so cold all the time.
Good luck with your sweaters, everyone!

Tinygoatstacker--Were you able to get the gauge with the 9mm needles? If not what needle size did you use and how many skeins? I went to pick up the soft boucle but noticed that the illusions was closer to gauge and less expensive, the only thing was neither had the yardage on the label so I wasn't sure how many skeins to buy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marthalazar
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2004 07:05:36 PM »

Hi,

I'm the one who designed the To Dye For sweater. I thought I would send a photo to show how I dyed the yarn. I think that may show you that it isn't that hard. What I did is to lay out all of the skeins on a covered work surface. I then poured the kool aid (sparingly) across the skeins in the same spot. I then kind of mushed the dye into the wool until it was absorbed. I did all of them at once so I knew that the color repeats would be exactly the same in all of the skeins.

Hopefully the photo on my website explains this better than I just did. I couldn't figure out how to attach a photo. Sigh.
-Martha
http://www.marthalazar.com/koolaid/
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004 06:18:24 PM by marthalazar » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lothluin
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2004 07:41:58 PM »

Woah, here I am, unearthing an old thread!  I just plan on making this sweater soon Smiley  I came into possession of quite a few cones of mohair yarn and it seems the perfect project for it and the pattern seems simple enough since I've never made a sweater!  Though I don't think extra long sleeves will be a problem for me.  I'm short certainly, but I tend to like sweaters more when the sleeves cover my hands!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hepchik
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2004 03:29:30 PM »

Hey girls... long time lurker, first time poster!
So I'm relatively new at knitting and I trying this project as my first sweater. I'm using a different yarn (Paton's Divine) and I'm done the back. That part was easy. Then I started the front and half way through the neck I noticed that yikes, this is gonna be too long by the time I'm done.
Well I finished it anyway and yup, it's about 3 inches longer than the back. So whatev... I am starting a sleeve now and when it's done I will see what piece it fits nicer to, the front or the back. Then I can frog the other piece and start again. Sound good? Please, I need encouragement!!

Oh by the way, this board rules and so do all of you ladies!

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillpixels
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2005 06:45:21 PM »

I finished this one (my first ever sweater) a couple of weeks ago and have had it stuffed in a drawer in disappointment every since.

It mostly just looks like a drab tunic with gorilla arms and too tight armholes!  I can live with the armholes iif I only wear a singlet underneath, anything else makes it too bulky.  I'm considering ripping back the sleeves to shorten the length, but there's no way I want to unstitch all those seams, it took me forever to do that!  I think I'm just going to cut the sitching part way up the arms and tie it off, then restitch the new bit again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lothluin
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2005 10:50:46 PM »

Hmmm well seems my cones of mohair are a bit scratchy  Cry  So looks like this sweater will be postponed!  Ah well, I have another sweater I just ordered yarn for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: The Roaming Gnome
@Home This Weekend: Welcoming Door Decor
Trim the Tree: Crafty Ornaments for the Holiday Season

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...