A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,959
Currently Running With Scissors:
525 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: To Dye For sweater  (Read 23004 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gloriana
« on: February 18, 2004 08:12:33 AM »

Has anyone tried this project with the Kool-Aid dyeing yet?  I dyed my yarn yesterday, and it was lots of fun.  However, it doesn't look as nice and neat as the yarn in the photo does.  I don't know what mine will look like when knitted up (the yarn is still drying as we speak) but I found it really difficult to separate the colors when pouring the Kool-Aid onto the yarn.  The colors on the yarn in the book photo look like they were separated.  Mine just blended all together.  It still looks cool - I used diluted solutions of Pink Lemonade and Orange so the yarn is all different blends of pale pink and orange - but I'm wondering if anyone has succeeded in keeping the dye colors separate from each other?  I was thinking maybe a turkey baster or eye dropper would help control the flow of the dye somewhat and achieve more precise results.

I will post a picture of the finished sweater once I've got it done - in the meantime, would love to hear about anyone else's experiences dyeing and/or knitting this sweater.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
persephone
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004 11:51:12 AM »

Hi:

I haven't tried the kool aid dye yet because I know I am not agile enough to take that on. But I have now made the sweater twice - once in black and red stripes aka the satanic bumble bee top and I am now sewing up another mohair black white and white version. Will post them once my webcam is back up and running.

good luck on the sweater I am actually making a smaller one for a 6 year old in pink and grey stripes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Catheryn

My Blog: http://arakneknits.typepad.com

Hand Knit Items for Blythe: http://arakneknits.etsy.com
knitcole
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004 11:59:28 AM »

Although I haven't tried dyeing wool (yet), I could only imagine that in order to create the look of the yarn in the book that you would need to tie-dye your yarn, instead of just just putting it all into the pot as is. Perhaps if you tried rubber-banding random sections of your yarn, the colors might get saturated differently. I'm not sure - its only a suggestion, but I think its basically the same concept as tie-dyeing a tshirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, triathlons must have taken Him completely by surprise."
P.Z. Pearce, M.D.
Bethan

Brit transplant

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004 12:36:35 PM »

Haven't done a sweater, but here is a diaper cover I made with recycled yarn from a lambswool sweater

There are some more pictures here http://home.san.rr.com/bethan/woolpics/  including one of the skeins drying and also a stripey cover

I actually knocked back the colours.  They were brighter when I first dyed them if you can believe it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jules
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2004 03:22:14 PM »

Hey gals,

I have just started this sweater tonite, and in reading the directions, I noticed that there is no neck shaping on the back piece--only for the front.  Is this correct, or am I missing something?  I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly before I get to the point of "turn around and rip it out"--a bad place I'm well acquainted with, and don't want to make a return trip to anytime soon.  Thanks in advance for any responses!

Julie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sarah
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2004 04:07:50 PM »

Hey gals,

I have just started this sweater tonite, and in reading the directions, I noticed that there is no neck shaping on the back piece--only for the front.  Is this correct, or am I missing something?

Hi, Julie! Yes, you're correct.  I finished mine two weeks ago (non-dyed, just in plain red, but still rather pretty) and the arms were WAAAAAAYYYY too long.  I don't think it was the pattern's fault, just my beginner's mistake (it was my first sweater) but measure them as you go so you don't end up with "gorilla arms" like I did.  Incidentally my sister loved the look, particularly the bell sleeves, so I ended up giving her the sweater, but it's something to watch for. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jules
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2004 05:06:22 PM »

Thanks Sarah!

You rock for replying  so quickly---I plan to finish the back piece tonite, so I would've been stuck had it not been for your speedy response!  I'll watch out out for "gorilla arms"--thanks for the tip.

Cheers,
Julie  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ann
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004 06:29:23 AM »

Sarah - could you expound on your mistake leading to the gorilla arm effect?  I am starting this sweater as well, and have long arms so your mistake might work well for me!  And I think I saw a picture of your red sweater on here somewhere (there can't be two!) and it looked so pretty it was what pushed me to choose this one as my first one as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sarah
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2004 11:08:23 AM »

Sarah - could you expound on your mistake leading to the gorilla arm effect?  I am starting this sweater as well, and have long arms so your mistake might work well for me!  And I think I saw a picture of your red sweater on here somewhere (there can't be two!) and it looked so pretty it was what pushed me to choose this one as my first one as well.

Hi, Anne! I'm so sorry I couldn't respond sooner. I was sick, and then had trouble accessing the site.  My gorilla arms I believe were due to my error in measuring or something -- they seemed too short as I was knitting them (but again, first sweater, so...) so I sort of pulled them longer after I bound off, and then to my utter shock they were obscenely long after I sewed them to the rest of the sweater and tried it on.  Blocking didn't really help me, either. If you keep in mind how long you'd LIKE them to be, and measure them accordingly as you knit, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Sadly, twas not my photo you saw as I haven't uploaded any pics yet, but I'm glad you were inspired to give it a try.  Hope it turns out well for you and I'd love to see your version when it's done.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinkitten
50's housewife with a tongue piercing

A girl can never have too many scarves...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2004 09:50:25 AM »

Lol, that was my red sweater, and funny enough I'm wearing it right now!  Glad you liked it and it inspired you  Grin  Coincedently I have pretty long arms, and over the course of a day the sleeeves got longer and longer... washing it and blocking it each time I wore it helps in keeping the sleeves just above fingertip for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Role Does Goal-Setting Play in Success?
The Pittsburgh Steelers Dynasty, Then and Now
Harriet Evans on the Book That Changed Her Life
Explore the Pacific Northwest in a New Novel by Garth Stein
How to Identify the Foil in a Novel
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...