A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,318
Currently Running With Scissors:
490 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet Motif Swap  (Read 6233 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: January 19, 2009 07:33:45 PM »

Official Swap Post: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=293026.0

So... over at the Granny's Daughters Swap the topic of crocheting shapes other than squares came up. And, inspired by this amazing motif blanket, the idea of a motif swap came up...

A couple of questions to start things off:

Would you rather have one partner and send them several different motifs?
Notes: You might have a better chance at requesting certain colors
You'd save on postage
You'd have to find multiple motif patterns

Or several partners and you send the same motif to each person?
Notes: You'd have a hard time getting specific colors and might have to take what you can get (or maybe limit your request to a "not this color" kind of thing)
You'd have more postage...
You'd only have to do one motif

I was thinking of starting after the Granny's Daughters Swap is over... so sign-ups in late February, send outs in March

If one partner/several motifs is preferred... how many motifs?
If many partners/one motif is preferred... how many partners?

What else are you thinkin'?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009 11:02:27 AM by craftADDchick - Reason: Added swap post link » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
myklia
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009 08:02:05 PM »

There are advantages to both options of one partner vs multiple partners.  One advantage of multiple partners is getting many different types of motifs.  Since I'm still a newbie crocheter I would hate for my partner to only receive from me as what I do may not be as interesting as others, but with multiple partners you might get a good mix.

With that said, I'm flexible.  I'm ok with either one or multiple partners.  On the color thing if multiple partners, perhaps we can suggest a color family like blue and gray.  I know, still not great and would probably more fair to take whatever.

I am also assuming like many of the other crochet swaps worsted acrylic will be required.

We'll see what is going on when this gets up and running, but I do want to do this swap.  I think it would be fun.  I'm so glad the conversation got started.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OnePinkHippo
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009 08:13:48 PM »

I'm so in. Signups Feb sendouts March sounds good.

I'd prefer several partners and different motifs to them. Like, two partners and mine might each get a granny triangle, a starfish and some circle thingy. As far as postage goes, I plan on putting all my granny daughters in a plastic baggie (in case of rain) in a bubble envelope. I don't think it's going to cost that much more.

Also, I'd prefer several because I'm stash busting currently, and kind of can't buy anymore yarn. (Granted, that's just me.) And I like myklia's idea of a color family.

Definitely worsted acrylic.

I'd say, maybe 2 partners, with 5 (10?) motifs each? Maybe more, but doing different motifs takes more time than a 2 minute granny daughter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myklia
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009 08:29:19 PM »

I'm so in. Signups Feb sendouts March sounds good.

Also, I'd prefer several because I'm stash busting currently, and kind of can't buy anymore yarn. (Granted, that's just me.) And I like myklia's idea of a color family.

Definitely worsted acrylic.

I'd say, maybe 2 partners, with 5 (10?) motifs each? Maybe more, but doing different motifs takes more time than a 2 minute granny daughter.

So maybe two partners and do 5 motifs per partner?  Did I get that right?  I think I'm cool with that.

I am also curious about the size.  Is there a size range of like 3 to 5 inches?  or say do two in the 4" to 6" range and two in the 2" to 4" range and one whatever.  All of you would know how that would break down better than me.  I definitely want to get or both of the books suggested:

201 Crochet Motifs, Blocks, Projects and Ideas by Melody Griffiths
Beyond the Square Crochet Motifs by Edie Eckman

I cut and pasted them into this thread from the Granny Daughter thread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

playswithneedles

find your balance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009 10:14:14 PM »

A good reason to buy more crafty books I'd say! How about if we did two partners each and something like:

1  8-10 inch motif
2  5-7 inch motifs
3  3-4 inch motifs

for each partner (or something like that)? Or does that take the fun element of surprise out of it?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crochet therapy:

50+ washcloths-along -17/50
Very soon I'm going to graduate to shawls and sweaters!
EOcrafter
Never met a craft I didn't like

mmm rummy drink!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009 05:26:00 AM »

A good reason to buy more crafty books I'd say! How about if we did two partners each and something like:

1  8-10 inch motif
2  5-7 inch motifs
3  3-4 inch motifs

for each partner (or something like that)? Or does that take the fun element of surprise out of it?!

WOW..this swap sounds SOO cool.  I also have that motif blanket saved in my favorite Craftster projects
Here's a cool lion brand table runner pattern (not free Sad $3.95 for a downloadable pattern) but still good inspiration.
http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/60667AD.html
Here's something that was on etsy at one point that I loved:

This would be a great swap!  I have already started collected crochet motifs for some project along these lines.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011 01:18:52 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

myklia
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009 06:08:18 AM »

ooohhh!!  I love the Lion Brand link and the etsy picture.  Hmmm...maybe getting a variety of colors isn't so bad afterall.  So cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zuliblu
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009 06:41:24 AM »

I would love to do this swap, I think multiple partners is the best. My feeling is that the finished product would look so much more interesting that way.  I am bookmarking this post, saving a swap slot, and will sign up as soon as you make it official Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

playswithneedles

find your balance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009 08:11:01 AM »

ooohhh!!  I love the Lion Brand link and the etsy picture.  Hmmm...maybe getting a variety of colors isn't so bad afterall.  So cool.

You're right, a mix is surprisingly cool - I like that! I also think part of the allure is that there are a good mix of small motifs. It would be a great blanket, but would take a bit of work to put it all together.

Perhaps we should throw caution to the wind and make the color sender's choice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crochet therapy:

50+ washcloths-along -17/50
Very soon I'm going to graduate to shawls and sweaters!
EOcrafter
Never met a craft I didn't like

mmm rummy drink!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009 10:51:51 AM »

You're right, a mix is surprisingly cool - I like that! I also think part of the allure is that there are a good mix of small motifs. It would be a great blanket, but would take a bit of work to put it all together.

Perhaps we should throw caution to the wind and make the color sender's choice!

I received some motifs from a swap awhile back and my partner used different colors AND totally random yarn!  I got some super fuzzy motifs, a cashmere one, and some handspun yarn...everything looks good together! 

The questionair could be organized so a swapper could exclude some colors, say neon or black, but really, variety in color, size and construction is kind of the point, right?

Lets do this!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009 10:54:36 AM by EOcrafter » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sauteed Noodles
Grilled Cheeseburgers
Eggs in a Nest Recipe
Chocolate Peanut Butter Treat Recipe
Simple and Satisfying Sliders Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...