A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,169
Currently Running With Scissors:
526 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Victorian Animals  (Read 684 times)
Tags for this thread: ornament  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

waggonswest
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 19, 2009 06:26:07 PM »

I made these bears a long time ago.  They came out this year because the kids wanted to put the tree in the front window and that meant it had to go in the purple room.  While I am pretty flexible in what they do, I just could not see having our traditional green and red ornaments in the purple room.  Besides, being the mother of all boys I saw my chance to have a girly tree.

We spent a long time picking out a few perfect green and purple bulbs and a ribbon for a garland.  They found the perfect purple and green velvet skirt that they waited patiently until the after Christmas sale to acquire.  And the bears that pre-date the boys came out of the box and went on display. 

This moose is sitting on my old rocking horse.  (The room wasn't all girly as the boys pulled out all of the wooden toys their papa made to put on display under the tree.

I made these bears during one of my crafting blitzes.  They really aren't anything more than craft bears dressed in fabric and antique trims.  I entered them in one of my first craft fairs.  I had a beautiful display (If I can say so myself).  It had a dark blue cloth and the bears were all seated or standing.  I had big expensive bears like the angel you can just make out on the top of the tree.

I hand some medium bears like this purple one.

and this choir bear

I even had a boat load of little tiny ornament sized ones.  Unfortunately, I have given most of those away over the years and didn't find any to get out and photograph. 

I felt I had a decent display and wide range of prices.  My spot wasn't the best, but I did have about as much traffic walking by as most of the rest of the booths.  However, I didn't sell a single thing.  Not even one tiny little bear ornament.  In the mean time, the lady next to me sold out.  Every last thing.  People flocked to her booth.  They told their friends about her booth.  They bought it all.  And what might you ask was so fantastic that everyone completely overlooked my little Victorian dressed bears at reasonable prices? 

Happy meal toys.  Yes.  The woman next to me had painted wooden plaques and attached sets of happy meal toys to them.  Not collages.  Not altered toys.  Not even artfully arranged.  Just a semi-circle of little plastic toys glued onto a painted wooden plaque.  The colors didn't even necessarily match the toys.  You could see the puddle of hot glue they were stuck into.  I'm not saying that I don't have any happy meal toys stashed away.  In fact I do.  But..  I didn't do another show for almost 20 years.  (Lots of things got in the way but this was definitely a contributing factor.)  .

The good thing is that I have a box of ready made, new to my kids bears to pull out and decorate their purple tree!  And they all agreed it was one of the best trees ever. 

After re-reading this, I realized that I don't want to leave the impression that I am arrogant about my project or that I didn't see any merit in the happy meal things.  It was about the same time people were really getting into collecting, but well before they started getting things like beanie babies and madame alexander dolls.  So on that level I could understand it.  I had done a bunch of other shows prior to that one where I sold a lot of painted clothing and flower arrangements. But I did think that the bears were far better than any of the other things I had been selling.  I just wish I'd had a craftster around then to help me figure out what I was doing wrong and what I could do better.  I probably wouldn't have stayed away so long. 

I also just realized that the only I photographed with antique trims in the purple bear.  However, I made them so long ago that if they were cars they'd only need a couple more years before they can get antique plates!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009 06:38:45 PM by waggonswest » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
MollyGirl
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009 06:46:05 PM »

Awwww!  I think your bears are cute and I would much rather have one than a Happy Meal toy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog.
Jack London

View my wists http://www.wists.com/mollygirl
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tips For Having A Crafty Fourth Of July Holiday Weekend
Etched Glass Water Bottle Tutorial
Personalized Painted Canvas Placemats
Decorating Bikes for the Fourth of July
Red, White and Blue Festive Garland
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...