A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,591
Currently Running With Scissors:
685 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pagan/Wiccan/Witchy decorating ideas?  (Read 12133 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftypeaches
« on: January 16, 2009 07:10:52 PM »

Well, it looks like we might be getting our first home ^_^ The only thing is that my father and younger sisters will be going with us. I'm wanting to decorate our home kinda witchy but not so much over the top in your face b/c of my dad. If anyone knows of some links to look at ideas or has some ideas or pics of their places that'd be neat and helpful. I've been diging around for a while now, but haven't found much. I can tell you I do like fairies and angels, but I don't want the house to look like a 3yr old's room. I like earth tones and such. The other thing is we have a baby so I'm also trying to think of baby friendly things. I'll stop rambling and maybe you guys can help me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftypeaches
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009 04:17:41 PM »

No takers? I still haven't come up with any ideas other than a petacle wreath on the door, angels and fairies statues here and there, and maybe a besom on the door
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SkyyAngel
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009 01:55:53 PM »

Anything from the Pyramid Collection... lol. I *love* a lot of their housewares. They don't go so much over the top as other places I've seen.

Other than little odds and ends I can't think of much else in the way of making crafty things. I had a friend who took an ugly gray curtain and painted a stone archway on it, complete with torches on the sides and a winding staircase leading down. She hung it up in her entryway to cover an ugly wall mural in her rental (couldn't repaint) and it looked pretty awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lilak Tygress
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009 12:16:21 AM »

I keep a decorated broom (besom, whatever you prefer) above the doors in my house.  Each one is coordinated with the rooms theme.  I also have a cute little country witch on my front door that my mother in law got me. Its says "Welcome my pretties".

You could go with themed rooms and use the elements as inspiration, like:
Kitchen : Air (all the great smells that arise...)
Living Room: Earth (the center or core of the home)
Bathroom: Water (obvious reasons)
Bedroom: Fire (well, you know ::wink:: ::wink:Smiley

You could have a cluster of shelves on a wall, making on a subtle altar that non-pagans wouldn't really notice, but means something to you.

I can't really think of anything else right now.  But you've got my brain working.  Thanx for posting this, I'm curious to see what others say as well. 

Good luck, blessed be
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftyredhead

My mutts Wig n Stink!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009 06:45:23 AM »

I have a celestial theme going, so my wall decor etc is sun moon stars. . Essentials for me are live plants, my familiars,(cats and dogs), a broom my dear friend gave me,candles, incense,photos of loved ones, comfort (soft surfaces, pillows, etc) , bookshelves for all my books on wicca, paganism, etc  If you are particularly fond of any of the goddesses, perhaps you could work around that ie Danu- water- maybe you could have a tabletop fountain. I am fond of Brighid so I have some celtic touches here and there. You could incorporate gods also, but for me, when I think of home and hearth, I automatically think feminine. Be sure to incorporate colors that are meaningful to you- sounds like you love earth tones. Come halloween, you will be able to score some cute little items which shouldnt be too offensive to the relatives ie- cute little stuffed witches, little cauldrons, etc. If you do any kitchen magick you will need a little organization for your herbs, etc. A small altar is always nice.  Where I live, there is a large Amish community, and above many of their barns they have a hex symbol that is meant to ward off witches- I would love to be able to snag an old piece of barn with that on it! Although it might be kind of like kryptonite, HA!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
The1uluv2h8
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009 08:48:36 AM »

I don't know much about it, but I ran across a couple of really cool accessories and websites. I'll list them here...
http://bookofshadows.com/zenshop/
^^ There's a few things on there that you may be able to steal some ideas from.
http://www.countrycauldron.com/myhome.html
^^ There are some GREAT inspirational ideas on here!!! (They even have the bath & body section.
Try googling pagan decor and see what comes up. I always click on images so that I can have visuals, and then go from there! Smiley

However, I found a website that supplies t-shirts, and some of the sayings and designs they have are GREAT!!
http://images.cafepress.com/image/11566792_125x125.jpg
^^Subtle yet cute! Could make a great bathroom theme too. You could get a roll of glow-in-the dark STAR wallpaper, cut out the stars, and paste them on the ceiling or the top of the walls against the ceiling.
http://images.cafepress.com/image/5284560_125x125.jpg
^^Could be a fun bedroom theme! *wink wink*

As a couple other people have suggested, you could do the Earth, Fire, Wind, Water themes. You could paint the rooms accordingly, and use some of the other words to help with decor.
Examples:
http://images.cafepress.com/image/22124287_125x125.jpg
http://images.cafepress.com/image/22124285_125x125.jpg

If you want to stay humorous:
http://images.cafepress.com/image/18961110_125x125.jpg

http://images.cafepress.com/image/7991530_125x125.jpg

http://images.cafepress.com/image/9955241_125x125.jpg

I don't know if celtic knots are something you may be able to incorporate. If you google them, there are some REALLY cool, nonchalant ones!!!

GOOD LUCK!! Hope it helps! Make sure you post pictures as you complete projects!! Smiley
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009 04:52:24 PM by jungrrl - Reason: Please do not hotlink images - thanks! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LunaKitten
LunaKitten Kreations

I have affairs with fictitious characters.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009 10:17:26 AM »

Besom OVER the door Smiley That's where mine is currently. Anything nature hunny!!! Remember, you don't need hats and brooms and wands!! Everything you need is provided outside! Be that a configuration of rocks/gemstones on a sidetable, or a vase full of some really awesome twigs/sticks/branches that you and your family collected on a walk! You can even do some of the battery operated twinkle lights in amongst the branches for fun. (As soon as the holidays come along i buy up those battery operated lights. I love them, but they don't last long haha) Definatley remember to put in some sort of statue/art work of your chosen diety. Shells are another good things to look in on. And they are things you can put without offending your Dad. I'd get one of those rock water fountain plug in jobs too. Helps with the peace of the area it's in. You should look in the Witch Wiccan Pagan Swap (WWP Swap) They have going on on here. This is the third one I've been in, and you could get some awesome ideas from the galleries, there are a TON of talented witches on here!!! Hope that helps! Blessed Be!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Substantial Wist Smiley

Forget all the other crafting tools, what I really want is a sonic screwdriver!!!!

Blessed Be!

I'm up for personal swaps! PM Me! Smiley

Etsy Shop
robotarsonist

glitter is the herpes of craft supplies.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009 03:49:03 PM »

I agree, keep things natural in your home. Branches, flowers, stones, shells, etc. Add houseplants too! Start a window herb garden. If it's in your kitchen they won't know the wiser  Cheesy Keep your books displayed on shelves with the occasional trinket. I've used a combination of vintage/rustic items, lots of candles and framed artwork, and natural items in my decorating and it looks a little witchy without screaming "I have a cauldron in the closet!". You can also add the occasional fairy or angel, since you said you liked them. I have several fairies about but they're tucked into places where you'd have to look for them, they're shy  Wink. Pick warm earthy colors for you walls as well. Ultimately it's what you as a Witch feel comfortable with. And if you're worried about your dad you can always keep a small altar in your bedroom instead of in the main living area.

And like Luna said, come poke around in the Witch/Wicca/Pagan swaps. There's some neat ideas in there.

Hope this helps and if you do any projects, post some pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get the Ombre Look Without Coloring Your Hair
How to Easily Switch Your Hair from Day to Night
Lisa Price on Using Items From Her Kitchen for Hair Care
Tia Mowry-Hardrict’s Top 5 Hair Must-Haves
Tia Mowry-Hardrict Reveals Her Hair Challenges
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...