A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,125
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: So... I've got these sticks...  (Read 297 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Pachydermia
« on: January 19, 2009 02:13:36 PM »

Right, well, here's the thing: this woman who used to be my neighbor moved recently and she threw out/ gave away a bunch of her stuff. Among this stuff, (because you can better believe that I, being a Craftster addict, could not bear to throw any of it away), was her knitting bag. She used to knit a lot, I think, but it hurts her hands now, so she said I could have it.
Well...
I don't knit.
Not that I don't want to-- I really do. It's just that no one in my family knits, so I've never been taught. In fact, I've never even seen anyone knit. So I have this bag FULL of needles. (Including a very handy carrying case that has 2 needles of each size from 1 to 11). Where should I begin? I found instructions on knitting on various websites, but none of them are very specific.
For instance, what size should I start with? Does it matter what sort of yarn I buy? Should I make a scarf first, or is that a bit ambitious?
Is the curved needle in the bag supposed to be curved, or did someone sit on it?

Obviously, I am terribly lost, which is why I come to you, Craftster Geniuses, for help.
Smiley
thanks
-Weatherly
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009 02:39:49 PM »

wow..lucky you..

I am sure you will receive TONS of opinions on this..I would say go with whatever needle size you feel the most comfortable with..and get some yarn that you like and feels good in your hand..

other than that..check out these websites..

www.knittinghelp.com
www.knittingpatterncentral.com

knitting help has some awesome vids that you will reference over and over again..and the 2nd website has some great patterns..

a scarf..yes,maybe even a dishcloth(which really is just a smaller scarf)..but will give you an immediate finished object and you can use it right away..

as for the curved needle..is it just one?? or is it like a circular needle..

good luck and have fun..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009 05:58:26 PM »

smittenheart gave you some great advice!  knittinghelp.com is a fantastic resource, especially if you're a visual learner.  For your first attempt, I'd get a decent weight, smooth acrylic.  It'll slide easily enough over your needles, won't felt, and it should give you great stitch definition.  Use needles a size or two larger than the yarn calls for, and practice casting on, knitting, and purling.  Don't start with an intended project in mind, just practice.  That way, if you end up with holes, or extra stitches, you won't be disappointed, because it was just practice anyway.  Once you feel pretty sure, get some cotton yarn and make a few dishcloths.  They are a lot faster than scarves, and will give you a great sense of satisfaction.  (Not to mention something useful!)  They're also an awesome way to practice new techniques like making patterns with knits and purls, increasing and decreasing (if you knit a bias cloth), cables, and lace.  There are tons and tons of free patterns around for them.  Anyway, I hope that helps!  Great score!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
soozeq
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009 08:16:35 PM »

Yep, just pick out a largish size needle and medium size yarn and play with it for a while. Use the videos at knitting help and on you tube to guide you.

If the case with 2 needles of each size also has cords in it, you've got yourself an interchangeable set of of circular needles worth at least $50 and you're set for years and you can make many different things with that size range.

If the curved needle is short and has an eye in one end and a dull point on the other, it could be a darning needle for seaming. If it doesn't have an eye in it, then it might be a cable needle which you hold stitches on while you knit other stitches to make cables - sts that are twisted into patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Walnut Bread Recipe
Techniques for Perfectly Frosting Your Cake
How to Put Icing on a Cake
Cupcake Masterclasses: Working with Sugarpaste
Blackberry Frozen Yoghurt Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...