Some cane talk first:
6 colors: light green, light purple, light yellow, medium turquoise, black, and white
I wrapped each cane differently with all 6 colors, with thin black layer around each one. I stacked the logs side by side trying to keep the colors spread out evenly. As I stacked, I kept each log in its circular shape. The distortion occured as I reduced using my roller to square off the entire cane.
Reduced, cut and stacked once. I flipped before "connection" was made to keep my colors spread out.
Reduced, cut and stacked one more time. Cane is done.
Bail time. I use my smallest crochet and knitting needles to wrap my 20 gauge wire around.
I wrap and cut 3 pieces, and curl the ends around so they are not stacked on top of each other. Take another longer piece of wire, fold in half (keeping the fold in a loop for your finger) Hold ends in plyer jaws and start twisting that loop with other hand. I have seen this done with a drill by loading the two cut ends into the drill but my drill battery is dead so I used my plyers and hands instead.
thread on 3 curled pieces onto the twisted piece
bend the twisted piece up on each side and curl (leave enough play for hinge movement)
thickest setting of pasta machine, I wrapped black clay around a large circle cookie cutter for a form. I suggest using mold release on the cutter for easy removal after baking. I place onto another sheet (thickest setting) and cut around for bottom. I put hinge on the lid first. Place another circle over the hinge and bake (lid only)
Allow lid to cool then place on box side like shown.
Place another black piece on top of the tails.
Use an index card under the lid before placing in oven. Bake index card and all.
Liquid sculpey all over the box before placing cane slices on it. I cut out black felt circle for inside bottom and a strip for the inside sides and used more liquid sculpey to adhere the felt. I put a loop for the the bead sandwiched between cane layer and baked top. I rolled snake for trim for the box cirumference grew after all the layers were added.
I just had to add feet:
IT WORKS GREAT!!!!! I am very proud of my little hinge, and planning other shaped boxes using it in the future. There was not one hinge tutorial to be found on the web, well, now there is one.