A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,804
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Recycled Bucket Tote (Lined Tote on Page 3)  (Read 11203 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2009 , reuse , upcycle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SillySlippers
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009 11:38:50 PM »

This would make agreat substitute for a gift bag/gift basket
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like I Know What I'm Doing
abssinth
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009 01:42:31 AM »

That's the coolest tote idea I've seen!  Shocked I love it!  Did you line it with anything?

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone.  I had been carrying around the idea in my head for days and didn't want to go back to work tomorrow without something to show my co-worker.

I deliberately didn't line it because I want to be able to remove the bag so it can be washed.  However, lining it would make it look more finished so I'll have to brainstorm and come up with a solution which will still allow the bag to be removed and washed.
snaps or Velcro would work. Make your lining, hem the to and if you use the sew on kinds you can make sure they won't come off in the wash. Smiley
I was actually thinking about that when I first saw it!

I've beening thinking about this for a few days....  How about zip-out lining?  You could sew-up the lining with half the zipper as the top edge, then attached the other half to the inside of the "outer" bag.  That way you won't have anything slipping between the lining and container, or sticking to velcro (I had a purse with a velcro patch inside and it was always catching on things - my sweaters & gloves included, when I was reaching inside).  This way you could unzip and disassemble, wash both pieces and reassemble with ease!  (If you do decide to use a zipper, apply a small amount of WD40 to it - it'll keep it from sticking.)  I've got everyone at work on a hunt for empty coffee containers now!  Can't wait to make one of my own!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
karentopaz
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009 12:38:45 PM »

Eliea and Abssinth, I like both your ideas for the lining.  Unfortunately, I don't have the necessary supplies and it's too cold to go out today.  I try to hibernate as much as possible on the days I don't have to go to work.

So, I tried to come up with something that wouldn't require snaps or velcro or zippers since I don't have any.  Here's what I came up with:
Cut a piece of fabric the width of the container and twice the length.  Sew into tube (the fit should be as snug as possible), stitch across the bottom, then miter the corners.  Finish the top edge.

Turn tube wrong side out then place in container.

Pull top of tube down the outside of the container.  May require some effort since the tube needs to fit snugly.

Inside of lined container.  Bottom is left uncovered.

Place lined container inside bag.  If the lining is snug enough, it should stay in place while the bag is being pulled up.

Finished lined bucket tote.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009 02:28:20 PM »

Super adorable!  I love the way you lined it too.  I don't drink enough coffee to buy the large containers, but the smaller ones could be just as cute... or used to give gifts Cheesy  I'm going to have to add this to my ever growing list of "To Makes"  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Franstuff
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009 08:47:27 AM »

This is a great tote!!  I am really inspired by it.  I will have to find someone who drinks coffee to give me one of these...hehehe

On another note...  I am faily new to crafster, and have also started using Swap-Bot lately.  In all of the posts I have read, and all of the wonderful people I have met, I have realized, finally, that unlike what my soon to be ex-husband and 18 year old son say, I am NOT the only one who saves odd containers, thinking they are too useful looking to throw away, or wants to find something to do with pop bottles, along with hoarding tons of craft supplies...  There is an entire WORLD of us out there!!! 

Thank you craftsters for helping shake off yet another layer of my ex's controlling nature!!!  I am having SO MUCH FUN with this!!  It has inspired me to craft more!  I have a bunch of neckties, just waiting to become somthing useful, and I am sure I can adapt some other type of can to thie project.  Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
karentopaz
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009 02:32:29 PM »

This is a great tote!!  I am really inspired by it.  I will have to find someone who drinks coffee to give me one of these...hehehe
Franstuff, I'm glad you find the tote inspiring.  If you decide to make one, I'd love to see a picture of it.

I must admit I'm obsessed with making them.  This is one I made for my husband as part of his Valentine's Day gift.  He won't wear red but he likes green, which is perfect since green is supposedly "the new color of love."  I already had the green quilted fabric in my stash and I also gave him a green sweatshirt. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
iwnnabanrchy
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2009 05:25:09 PM »

wow, i was really skeptical at first, but you pulled it off! great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

**shop my  etsy

**friend me on myspace

**read my music + fashion blog
DancinInTheDark
Klutzy Paparazzi! ;]

Yeah, Train rocks. Best band ever!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2009 10:39:21 AM »

On another note...  I am faily new to crafster, and have also started using Swap-Bot lately.  In all of the posts I have read, and all of the wonderful people I have met, I have realized, finally, that unlike what my soon to be ex-husband and 18 year old son say, I am NOT the only one who saves odd containers, thinking they are too useful looking to throw away, or wants to find something to do with pop bottles, along with hoarding tons of craft supplies...  There is an entire WORLD of us out there!!! 

Thank you craftsters for helping shake off yet another layer of my ex's controlling nature!!!  I am having SO MUCH FUN with this!!  It has inspired me to craft more!  I have a bunch of neckties, just waiting to become somthing useful, and I am sure I can adapt some other type of can to thie project.  Thanks!!

Hey, I do that too!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Me + Craftster = LOVE. Wink
Hey soul sister, ain't that Mister Mister playin' on the stereo, radio? -Train
http://prodegebanners.sitegrip.com/images/swagbucks-173x63Alt1.jpg
BattleAxe
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2009 06:35:59 PM »

Love this idea!  I hope you bring them all back into work and give them as gifts without telling them where they came from!  You should get a green award at work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roccstarr75
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2009 04:15:32 AM »

These would make great lunch totes, and since the lining you came up with is not affixed to the container or outside fabric in any way, it could easily be washed or replaced if it got icky!!!  I am also thinking these would be awesome containers to give cookies or other food gifts in.  If you make use of the original lid, you could get an airtight seal that would keep it fresh, and the container itself is already foodsafe!   hmmmmmm *scurries away to make one*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Michael Hiltzik Talks About Colossus
Alexandra Horowitz Talks About Inside of a Dog
Jonathan Alter Reveals His Best Quality
Pop-Up Predators Book Trailer
Embrace the Struggle Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...