A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,768
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Medium Chefcoat, now more formfitting. Still in need of assistance!  (Read 1045 times)
Tags for this thread: coat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AnoxiaSan
« on: January 19, 2009 08:16:13 AM »

So, I walked into the scrub store and I was like “Yeah, I need that Chef's coat, and I'm probably a small.”  The lady looked over the counter at my hips and made eye contact for a second.  I guess she thought she wanted to let me find out for myself that it wasn’t going to fit.  So she takes it off the hanger and unbuttons it for me.  I try it on, and I'm like, “Alright, it fits.”

“Its gotta button over your hips.”  She says, eyeballing my hips. 

So I proceeded to try to button the jacket over my hips.  No way in hell.  I lol’d and tried to pull it off.

She handed me the medium, and it buttoned fine. I paid 27.50 for it. 

I got it home, tried it on once again.  I had to stitch the arms to make them narrower and I had to stitch from the armpit to my bellybutton to make it more form fitting.  Damn men with their broad shoulders.  I didn’t want to narrow up the shoulders because there is this big label on the chest of the coat, and I didn’t want to mess up the investment I just made.   

I was telling my grandmother that I was making all of these modifications, [It was really only 4 stitches, but it took forever, because I don’t think the BF could pin the excess of the coat properly, and I had to do it myself.]  and she was like, “Maybe you should have gotten the small and moved the buttons over.”

It made sense, but I really hate sewing buttons. : ( 

Any suggestions on how to modify the shoulders so they are a bit more narrow?  I'm not an expert on things of this matter, but I can sew.  I'm a little nervous because there is a bit of embroidery about 2.25 inches from the seam of the arm.  Would I have to take the arms off and restitch but an inch off of the shoulder of each arm hole?  I've never made a jacket or a shirt before, because I'm nervous about he arms holes.

Also, Im thinking about keeping the sleeves rolled up above the elbow, do you think its a good idea to make a small stitch to keep it up?

Here is the picture of it [Mind my messy appearance, I just woke up.  At least the pants are ironed : ) ]::
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please see my Etsy:   www.anoxiasan.etsy.com  Help a College Student out! : )

*Currently Sewing tons of scarves*
Oyhana
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009 11:55:14 AM »

Hmmm, I think the jacket actually fits you pretty good. 

Is it for cooking in or just for wearing?  If it's for cooking in I say just leave it how it is, a little extra room elbow room is nice when you're working the line, and the long sleeves come in handy for moving hot pot and pan handles.

If you're wanting more of a jacket to wear, these guys make some pretty cool chef inspired coats.  You probably have enough material for reconstructing but you'd have to pretty much take the whole thing apart.

http://www.crookedbrook.com/womens-chef-jackets-coats.htm

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest     

Personal swap friendly!  Especially ATCs!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Legs
How to Illustrate Anime in Two Minutes
How to Draw Lips
How to Design a Cartoon Elephant
How to Do Drawings of a Person Standing
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...