A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,752
Currently Running With Scissors:
622 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 'The marching band coat' for the boy  (Read 2687 times)
Tags for this thread: pirate , coat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KitschyCoo
« on: January 19, 2009 04:26:12 AM »

I've been really keen to try out making a coat for boys.  I used my girl's coat pattern as a basis but changed a couple of the measurements to make it less feminine / a-line and more boyish / boxy.  I had a good idea of what I wanted it to look like (mixture of military, emo, marching band, pirate!)   but took forever figuring out how to practically construct it. In the end I made it single breasted but with the look of double breasted with removable button-on plackets.

It is a black twill shell with red goretex / microfleece lining. It's technically reversible but I didn't bother doing buttons or anything to the fleece side as it'd be pretty strange to wear twill on the inside and fleece to the outside! Plus, I wanted the red edging on the hood to 'pop' so I lined the hood in the black twill. So if it was worn on the reverse it'd be a red coat with black hood... not a good look methinks.  Grin

The hood is a bit too pointy for my liking... I like the pointy / pixie look on the girls coat but I wanted a more classic curve for the boys. Bad pattern making on my part, but I can change it easy enough for the next one!  The hood has red cording sandwiched in between the layers, the sleeve and body edges look like they have cording but it's actually just the lining that I pulled through so it 'peeks' out.

There is a single button at the neck of the coat under the top red placket. The red plackets are functional (i.e. they have actual buttonholes as opposed to buttons being sewn on) but they are completely detachable. I did it this way because a) my sewing machine would have completely died if I tried to buttonhole through four layers b) I can try out different styles, colours and sizes without ruining the coat. I'll probably make some plain black ones (and maybe royal blue as well) to see how they would look.

Considering the amount of time I spent planning and making it I should love it but I'm a little bit ambivalent... I think the plackets are too chunky or something.  Huh   

THIS ROCKS   Logged

rlynn
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009 04:33:12 AM »

welp, i know nothing about design or fashion but i say this is awesome.  i love it...i see what you are saying about perhaps making the hood less pointy but...this is freakin' cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Munora
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009 04:35:33 AM »

I like it. The shape of the coat is perfect. I think I agree with you on the plackets being too chunky. It's still really cute. I would like to see it without the plackets. Nice work, as always.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not what you know, but what you do with what you know that is important.
craft_princess

Im a dreamer...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009 05:05:59 AM »

I like it this way! and that boy seems to like it too! haha Id love having a coat like that for myself (maybe a little bit more girlish), I would only change the hood and make it less pointy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have decided that I need a bleach pen and mod podge... now it's only left to find that stuff in Spain, what seems to be impossible Sad
girlypirate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my arms are too short to box with God.

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009 05:37:42 AM »

That is so, so handsome.  Perfection of a craft is up to the designer, but I wouldn't change a thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjbullock
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009 06:06:34 AM »

Too cute, especially with the hood on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009 06:17:55 AM »

I think the coat is great as is, but I was thinking about things that might make it even greater (and for the record I have never made little boys' clothes so I may know absolutely nothing on the subject Wink).

Maybe for a boy's military inspired coat you should try forgoing the hood altogether.  Also it might be worth trying narrower plackets, or trying the plackets in a less contrasty colour (I know a lot of men's clothes actually use the main fabric for the plackets). 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
kewlmomma
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009 06:27:13 AM »

We are always our own worst critic. I think it looks great. As long as your son likes it that is what counts. Good job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition form mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein
KitschyCoo
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009 07:05:55 AM »

Thanks for your feedback everyone!

I think I agree with you on the plackets being too chunky. It's still really cute. I would like to see it without the plackets.

Here it is without the plackets. There's is only one button at the centre overlappy bit, so if he was to wear it without the plackets I'd have to make another couple buttonholes.

Maybe for a boy's military inspired coat you should try forgoing the hood altogether.  Also it might be worth trying narrower plackets, or trying the plackets in a less contrasty colour (I know a lot of men's clothes actually use the main fabric for the plackets). 

Next coat is definitely going to have a normal collar instead of a hood.  I pretty much made a hood for this one because I was desperate to try cording edges (yes, I have no life  Grin)

I'm going to make plain black plackets too and test those out.  I can't make them any narrower as they would still need to fit where the buttons are but I'm going to make them less chunky.

Thanks again for all the feedback!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skaborsk

always procraftinating..............

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009 07:57:59 AM »

thats a great coat! i would wear it myself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please visit my etsy shop. i love it when people buy my crap!  
http://www.etsy.com/shop/cappywanna
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Comfort Food Meatloaf Dinner Recipe
Oven Baked Pork Chops with Gravy Recipe
Oven Baked Round Steak and Rich Gravy Recipe
Red Cinnamon Dinner Apples Recipe
Fiesta Corn Relish Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...