A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
600 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Building small tanks for bugs and fish  (Read 858 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

micstarz
« on: January 19, 2009 01:21:18 AM »

I'm looking to fill the space behind my betta rack. I was originally going to opt for growing dwarf plants and mosses, but I decided it would be a bit boring. Instead, I'd rather keep a scorpion, a beetle, a tarantula, possibly frogs or shield shrimps. I need to make four of these tanks.

To save on costs, only one side (the front) needs to be transparent, but All 5 panels of whatever material I may use can be transparent. I have no experience with glass, but I am willing to try. What are some materials I could use to construct these tanks? They will be housing terrestrial (for now) invertebrates that could potentially climb. How hard is it to make a hinged or sliding lid?

Here are some pics of the space behind my bettas (bottom row):

The dimensions are:
18cm x 12cm x 14cm (Width times Depth times Height)
This is the maximum dimensions as it barely even leaves room for me to slip my fingers in to get the container out. (Maybe I will incorporate a tow string or a pull ring into the design)

Basically I need advice on how to contruct 4 glass containers (preferably waterproof, because I may keep killies in the future)

List of things you might want to generously tell me:
1. Suggested materials (glass, arcrylic,
2. How to join the 4 sides and the bottom materials together
3. Should I go for making a lid, or just cover the top?

If I use these containers for terrestrial animals exclusively (with soil), can I use corrugated Polypropylene sheets like these, joined together with silicone and a front panel of glass/acrylic?

Thanks!

An afterthought: is clay or cement safe? I could use it to make 3 sides and a bottom then put a glass pane up front...

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009 03:37:28 AM by micstarz » THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewnForU
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009 06:57:40 AM »

My hubby made a  tank a few years ago with plexi glass, he used aquarium glue. His was 120 gallons so it was pretty thick plexi glass and he used screws. I'm sure the glue alone would hold it if you are not using water, but should be safe for you animals if it is for the fish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrafterStar
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009 07:01:48 AM »

I kinda feel bad for those fish because the tanks are so small. Its like Jail  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tips for Taking Care of Your Hair This Winter
Top 7 Hair Myths
Top Hair Trends of 2013
How to Do a Braided Updo for Curly Hair
How to Get an Updo for Christmas
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...