A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lots of resin experiements - first attempt - LOTS of pictures!  (Read 4720 times)
Tags for this thread: resin  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: January 19, 2009 12:16:42 AM »

Well this was my first go at attempting resin, and after seeing all the beautiful projects on here, how could I not try it?!?! I picked up some molds at Michaels, one resin mold (the only one they had) and two candy molds - Let me just say DO NOT USE CANDY MOLDS, NO MATTER HOW TEMPTING IT MAY BE!  I KNOW they come in cooler designs - but just don't do it!  No matter how much you like that nautical star design.  Phew, there, I said it.  I couldn't get ANY of the candy mold pendants to pop out, I had to bend and twist and ruin and break the molds with two pairs of pliers and a box cutter to remove them all - WAY too much work.  But I don't think any of my pendants were damaged  Wink

I haven't done anything to them other than spraying them with a clear coat of glaze to get ride of the tacky-ness left of some of them - I sprayed both sides of all of them so they looked even.  No holes yet - I know a lot of people use glue-on bails but I want to try drilling holes.  Has anybody drilled holes in these successfully with an actual drill?  I've seen people used dremels, I don't have a dremel, but I have a real drill and I think I will give it a go.  I already have some dye to experiment with next time, but I need more molds  Grin

Anyway, Here they are.  What do you think?

Don't mind the plate, I'm not super into photo backgrounds like some people around here  Wink

Shamrocks and gold/green stars

Pot of gold - I really like this one, but then again I am half Irish  Grin

Dried flowers

Red hots, hearts, and a red rose with gold stars

Closeup of the rose

Candy Sprinkles - stars, dolphins, dinosaurs, moons, and sprinkles

Closer

Seed beads - experimenting on how many to put in

Metallic heart and star beads

Other beads - the top one is a bat if you can't tell

Green Sugar and Girly skull and hearts - the skull and hearts were metallic stickers so they look wonky but they don't really have all to many bubbles (or at least, they aren't as noticeable when there isn't a flash on them  Roll Eyes)

There are a few more I didn't photograph yet (champagne bottles, wee!) because they wouldn't pop out of the molds, but after freezing them for several hours they came right out.  After I take pictures of those I'll add them.

Comments and criticism appreciated, thanks for looking  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009 02:38:24 AM by skankamaggot » THIS ROCKS   Logged

FairyWings
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009 12:36:54 AM »

awesome!
 I really like the dried flowers ones best.
 I want to try doing Resin stuff one day, people make such cool things with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pepsi_girl

life is a pigsty

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009 12:59:52 AM »

beautiful!!!!!!!!!!! so delicate!!! how do you use resin? how does it work? is it very expensive? you have inspired me to find out more!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i am a ghost and as far as i know i havent even died
skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009 01:15:18 AM »

awesome!
 I really like the dried flowers ones best.
 I want to try doing Resin stuff one day, people make such cool things with it.

Thanks, I love the dried flowered ones too  Grin  I'm really happy I was able to salvage them.  If you think you want to try it, you should do it!  I've been wanting to try it for about a year now.  I used easycast resin you buy at Michaels (get a coupon  Wink) so it wasn't too expensive plus I did mine indoors and there wasn't really any harsh smells or fumes that other people talk about.  The hardest part is waiting for them to cure so you can pop them out  Grin

beautiful!!!!!!!!!!! so delicate!!! how do you use resin? how does it work? is it very expensive? you have inspired me to find out more!!

Thanks!  Resin is really easy to use.  There is a whole big long thread about it here: 

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=10667.0

But like I said it's LONG.  But if you're interested in trying it, definitely read it!  There are different types of resin you can buy (you can read about the differences in the thread) but the type I used you can buy at most craft stores.  It comes as a 2part mix.  You need a special resin mold (also sold at most craft stores, just make sure it's made for resin and you shouldn't' have problems removing your stuff) or you can buy them on ebay or etsy.  You fill your mold with goodies, mix your resin (very easy, equal parts), add resin to mold, wait 24 hours, and pop them out!  You can experiment with mixing glitter in, and they make special dyes for resin, but I hear it's addicting so be careful  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pepsi_girl

life is a pigsty

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009 01:32:18 AM »

wow thanks so much!! i really want to have a go! i can imagine i would get hooked!!  Grin im gunna have a good read. i just hope i can find the stuff i need in the uk!! thanx my darling! x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i am a ghost and as far as i know i havent even died
skankamaggot

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009 01:34:06 AM »

No problem, good luck!  If you have trouble finding it, I know some sellers on Etsy ship internationally  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beadingjunkee
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009 03:57:09 AM »

I love the nautical star one. And from personal experience a dremel is so much easier. I used a regular drill once and ruined a perfectly good pendant. Sad GReat work though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WildeHeart2105
McPhd

Aut vincere aut mori

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009 06:37:13 AM »

The dried flower pieces are amazing! I see a lot of resin pieces on here and other places but I've never seen flowers in them before!

I think everything turned out perfect for someone's first try at resin - I've always wanted to myself but have been scared because it seems like there is a lot to read/understand before you start working with it, and I like to impulsively dive right into crafts lol.

Are you making jewelry with them? If so - please post pics when you do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Psychology Instructor & Personal Trainer

http://www.EricaDHouse.com
MainSarahJane
I am what I am, I be what I be.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009 07:09:08 AM »

Those are really neat.  I am going to try to make some of those some day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarah Wink
thefireninja
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009 07:40:56 AM »

i absolutely love the pot of gold!  (i too am irish)  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Winter Makeup
How to Create Smokey Eyes in 5 Easy Steps
How to Use Your Lipstick in Different Ways
Dramatic Wine Colored Lips at the Bibhu Mohatpatra SS 2014 Show
Punk Princess Inspired Makeup at the Nicole Miller SS 2014 Fashion Show
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...