A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
584 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: MY new apartment...constantly being decorated! ha ha  (Read 15883 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

artasanoutlet

opinions were like kittens, i was giving 'em away

View Profile WWW
« on: March 16, 2005 09:57:08 AM »

my apartment...

danish china cabinet as a vintage purse display, red artwork

stretched fabric for art

stretched vintage kitchen fabric under vintage scarf for art

vintage apron curtains

picture frame and mesh screen earring display idea from craftster member

dealing with half brick walls, framed vintage wallpaper and embroidery collage

This is sort of silly, and I should probably know by now. How, exactly, does one stretch fabric over a frame? This is embarrassing, but my apartment walls are basically blank, and I've been collecting beautiful fabrics and just piling them up in a corner... How do you attach it in the back? How hard is it to switch fabrics?
Thanks!

i use a staple gun. luckily i have an electric so my hand doesn't feel like falling off afterwards.
i'll try to explain the best i can.
 basically
you lay your fabric face down. 
line up the frame on top of it.
wrap your fabric to the back of the frame on one side.
staple in the center of this one side, then go to the opposite side and staple directly across from your first staple. wrapping your fabric to the back, like before.   make sure to pull the fabric so that it's tight, but not too tight or it will warp (the fabric will have linear waves in it)

repeat with the two unstapled sides.
going back an forth from side to opposite side and working your way out from the center of each side.

once you get to the ends, leave a little room without staples to fold the fabric.
i do a blind edge. 
decide what side is going to be at the top and which to the side while hanging.  you want anything visible to be at the top (and bottom) of the frame.
fold the 'side' fabric in and staple on the back to secure
fold the fabric running along the side, that hangs over the top, flat wrapped around the corner and hold it down in a triangular shape against the top of the frame.
then fold the top of the fabric down against the edge so that the 'seam' lines up with the edge of the frame.
(this is kind of like making your bed, hospital style)
staple to secure. 
make sure with each corner your mirroring what you did on the opposite corner.  (so you won't be doing this in the same direction each time)

i'm sorry if that's hard to follow.  to me, it's like explaining to someone how to tie a shoelace.  i've never had to explain it.  i tried not to make any assumptions or leave out steps.  let me know how it goes.  i can try to post pics with this mini tutorial soon.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011 04:25:37 PM by PixieVal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://myOlivette.etsy.com

i also have my artwork on
 http://www.artish.org  under the  angie montgomery gallery
bequitas
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005 02:08:38 PM »

i love your furniture!!
it's so scandinavian, and 70's!!
and your fabric artwork it's really cool!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teri
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005 06:25:13 PM »

Great apartment! You must really love it - it looks like it was put together with much thought and love - thats why its so great.  I love the stretched fabric in the living room - did you just put it over a large canvas or wooden frame?  The vintage aprons in the living room look great as well and I love the vintage purses hanging over your bed - I just did the same thing in my bedroom (but not over my bed) with some old purses I got from my Mom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artasanoutlet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005 08:47:55 AM »

thanks!  i do love it so much!

2 of the pieces are fabric, the others are paintings (blue and red ones)
 i love framing cool vintage fabrics though.  i have more of that than my art on the walls.

yeah i just pulled the fabric over a painting frame that was already primed with some sort of hardened canvas.  not like a gessoed canvas but more like fiberglass.  and since i wasn't sure if i wanted to paint on it, it was the perfect size for this green abstract flower fabric.  i originally made it to be a room divider, but i found that it made my room seem too small and closed in.  so i'm working on that.

the other one is a cute blue on white kitchen fabric with kitchen items and i covered it with a cream see through scarf that had these pretty pink mums with gold accent mums.

yeah i have a million vintage purses.  i had them all gridded out on my wall at a previous apt, but wanted to keep the handles from getting dents in them, so i put them in the china cabinet.  the ones on the wall are 'retired' (or broken) purses that i can't bear to throw out because they are so cute.  and i can possibly repair them some time.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005 11:47:00 AM by artasanoutlet » THIS ROCKS   Logged

IAte86Crayons
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005 08:41:26 PM »

Your apartment reminds me of the old pictures I've seen of my grandma's house in the 70's. I love it  Cheesy The 70's is my favorite decade. I love how everything is so... so... not put together in your apartment. It's great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkcurtains
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005 06:58:50 PM »

i am so jealous of your furniture! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Titania
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005 05:49:58 PM »

Oh, what inspiration!  I love all of the vintage 'stuff' - it looks wonderful and really retro funky.  I think it would be a fun place to spend time - there looks like there is heaps to entertain oneself with in your home...I think I'd play dressups with all the jeweks, aprons and bags!

I assume you hit the op shops a lot then?  Isn't it fun scouting around for vintage pieces?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sacredheartarts.blogspot.com

www.sacredheartarts.com

~* He does not need opium.  He has the gift of reverie *~ Anais Nin
artasanoutlet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005 09:54:39 AM »

yeah its kinda like when i was a kid and always wanted to spend time at the lady's house that had all the fun dress up stuff to play with.  i want people to be able to entertain themselves by merely looking around.

i'm not sure what OP shops means, but thrift store employees know my face!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Titania
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005 03:01:51 PM »

yeah, op (opportunity) shop = thrift store.  A day of 'op shopping' is a favourite pastime of me and one of my friends - I love nothing better than spending a whole day rummaging through dusty old second hand stores.  Except now that vintage is popular it has become a lot more expensive to get cool stuff cheap, though the occasional bargain comes along.  I guess that is part of the thrill of the hunt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sacredheartarts.blogspot.com

www.sacredheartarts.com

~* He does not need opium.  He has the gift of reverie *~ Anais Nin
artasanoutlet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005 04:44:53 PM »

yeah i've found a good deal of items just by frequently checking into certain stores.  i have figured out what to look for at each one.  i found an enid collins paper mache brooch once for .50 and sold it on ebay for $375!  i got my danish desk and china cabinet at a thrift store and recently found a lane & co siamese cat tv lamp (sans the lamp wiring, but i can replace)  that's not even close to listing all my scores.

i love love love thrift stores.  i think i'm addicted.

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Low and Messy Ponytail
How to Do a Braided Bun
Hair Tyrant: Putting Your College Style Behind You
Hair Tyrant: A Warmer Professional Style
Ashley Javier: Hair Tyrant Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...