A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 304,768
Currently Running With Scissors:
466 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My lumpy Barbie cake  (Read 2550 times)
Tags for this thread: carrot_cake , fondant , barbie , cake  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

outoftheash

the crafty misadventures of the kate

View Profile WWW
« on: January 18, 2009 01:00:43 PM »

I decided to make a cake for my friends birthday, so i think BARBIE.  why not. i even found one with pink hair!  but then I gave it a terrible hair cut in an attempt at something.... stylish... oh nevermind.
the cake!

doesn't she look happy?  and lumpy... and oddly wide in the middle... and... a little off.  so yah she's a little funny looking. 

My friend requested carrot cake, and as i had never made such a thing from scratch, I eagerly took on the challenge.  Now i realize there are cake molds out there for such a purpose, and there are also dolls specially made without silly legs to get in the way.  I, however, decided my friend needed a REAL barbie, with real legs, and i was determined to use the many pans I had at home. 
This poor girl's dress was made out of a chrysanthemum bundt pan, with a soccer ball pan supplying the additional 3 inches she needed to get the damn thing past her thighs.  i tried to cut it, shape it, fill in gaps.  then i thought the fondant would smooth over the holes.  no, it did not. 
she still looks nice though!  and with the amount of oil and sugar in the cake, it should be rather tasty regardless. 
here's a close up on the bow.

i colored the fondant myself, which was surprisingly easy.  I haven't tried too much with it yet, but so far my experiences have been positive.  i even made a little flower for her!  its awkwardly placed on her chest to cover some odd green bits she came with.  still, great fun.  much less gory than my last work with fondant...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://noitsunconventional.blogspot.com/

"Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live"
- Charles Bukowski
hp_nerd
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009 01:09:34 PM »

this is wonderful!

The best part may be the bottle of "bitch" wine right behind her.  Now Barbie!  What kind of example it that!  Think of the children!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for anything is salt water.  Sweat, tears, or the sea." -Isak Dinesen

Personal Swap?

My Wist.
Cealy
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009 01:39:53 PM »

Awesome job! Fontant can be a bi**h to work work with sometimes.

My first barbie cake came out similar to yours, used a bundt cake pan and had the same height issues as you. I then made a 9" round cake to put under the bundt cake making a hole for her feet. I made wedges out of the hole I cut out to fill in around her hips- all in all the 6 yr old didn't see the flaws and loved her barbie cake just the same.

Keep making them-you will be a pro in no time!
C
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009 05:23:20 PM »

Well I totally applaud your creativity! And your friend should love it - it is adorable Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
wienersandbeans
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009 06:22:03 PM »

I think this is one of the nicest, most thoughtful labours of love I've ever seen. Your friend is extremely lucky to have you around.

As for the ... irregularities ... I think they add intrigue! What could Barbie be hiding under her skirt??? We may never know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThePeach
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009 11:52:24 AM »

i think you did a great job for your first time working with fondant and making do with the pans you had on hand!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

v3nu5
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009 11:58:28 AM »

I like Barbie's pink hair. This cake looks delicious no matter what. I don't think its too lumpy, the pretty big bow in the back and polka dots draws your eyes in. Your friend is one lucky gal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amandaaleigh
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009 12:57:18 PM »

Oh my gosh! My grandmother made one of those for my birthday when I was 3 or 4. There is a photo around here somewhere...
But I like her dress, it looks yummy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Slimming Body Wrap
Blotting Sheets For Oily Skin
Top 10 Swoon-Worthy Palettes and Sets For Any Budget
Tips For Getting a Flawless Foundation
Drew Barrymore Gets Hands On
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...