A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,613
Currently Running With Scissors:
782 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Mysterious Galliano Pirate Jacket - Help Me Decipher It or Sew-Along!  (Read 98730 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

IndividualFrog

the petals will darken and sink

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 26, 2012 05:08:07 PM »

If you need any help I'll try to answer any questions...but it's been a long time!  I wish my pictures were still up...

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

夢も後なく夜も明けて、村雨と聞きしもけさ見れば、松風ばかりや残るらん、松風ばかりや残るらん
John deBoer Custom
N30Nb100d
« Reply #371 on: January 26, 2012 06:55:33 PM »

I keep thinking back to this jacket and still want to make it just as much as I did a couple years ago, but other projects keep coming up! Someday...

Marwood - I'd love to see your progress as you work on it (in this thread even), maybe it would motivate others to try as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marwood
« Reply #372 on: January 30, 2012 08:10:35 AM »

Hi John, thanks for your offer of help. I have muddled through this a bit and am almost up to the lining. Struggling with right sleeve placement at the moment! I love it though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marwood
« Reply #373 on: January 30, 2012 08:29:43 AM »

Hi I will definitely post pics soon it is nearly done! Nd I m making the sleeve detachable so that will make it easier to finish! Technically since I have not done the sleeve yet! I was also watching the borrows the other night and thinking how the Ruhr sleeve could be made to have an attaching piece to make it long sleeved. It kind of all came together today.

I love it. And I have to agree with someone who said a few posts back that the pattern is so we'll marked, despite it's complexity it does all come together in a relatively logical fashion.

Pics soon . . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marwood
« Reply #374 on: January 30, 2012 05:36:03 PM »

OK - so here is a progress shot.

OK that didn't work as I am so new to Craftster I need to have 10 posts before I can put in images apparently. It is in my gallery. I'll try and sort out he image thing too . . .

I love the fabrics and can't wait to wear it!

It fits and my ill-tutored attempts at resizing appear to have worked! It could have been better I guess, but I love it.

It is now finished (at least all the parts without the detachable sleeve I wanted to add). I will have to take a picture when I get home tonight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #375 on: March 08, 2012 06:30:23 AM »

OK - so here is a progress shot.

OK that didn't work as I am so new to Craftster I need to have 10 posts before I can put in images apparently. It is in my gallery. I'll try and sort out he image thing too . . .

I love the fabrics and can't wait to wear it!

It fits and my ill-tutored attempts at resizing appear to have worked! It could have been better I guess, but I love it.

It is now finished (at least all the parts without the detachable sleeve I wanted to add). I will have to take a picture when I get home tonight.

Hey Marwood, hope you don't mind - but I thought I'd post your piccy for you since you don't have enough posts yet Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
Pso
« Reply #376 on: March 27, 2012 06:08:06 AM »

I've found this image, if it help...

http://www.stylebistro.com/runway/Paris+Fashion+Week+Fall+2001/John+Galliano/ctvZG8wvnZP

I'm trying this project too but it seems very difficult.

Sorry, I'm french and I don't speak english very well ... but I can intent to help to explain some french words in patern (and yes, i'm very late for this too).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tamserine
« Reply #377 on: April 12, 2012 05:51:07 AM »

So I took a ream of paper down to my Mums at Christmas and decided I was going to see if i could fathom this pattern out.  I spent an entire evening on the floor sticking pattern pieces together,  then next day I cut it all out in poly cotton sheeting and spent the next day or so figuring out how all the pieces fitted together.

At this point I realised that it was going to be a little tight on me.  I'm a uk size 10 and wear a 34B bra size so I had to figure out some ways to resize it to fit me (more on that later).

When I was back at home I cut out all the lining in red poly cotton and then I kind of lost interest in the project - I think I'd managed to sew a couple of bits together the wrong way round and couldn't be bothered to unpick them.  Then about mid March  I realised that if i wanted to wear the thing for an event at the end of April I'd best get going.

I've had a bunch of trials with this project.

1)  I made mine of white cotton drill with poly cotton applique over the top for the flag bits.  For some insane reason I took it upon myself to use heavy weight interfacing,  this meant that some pieces were a trial to stitch together because of the number of layers of fabric.  Particularly that finny bit down the back,  I'm fortunate that I've got a walking foot for my machine.   I also had to rip the interfacing out of the back peplum piece to get it to hang right.

2) So I was really good,  and pre-washed all my fabric on hot to get rid of the loose dye.  Apparently this wasn't enough, as I discovered when steaming a particularly stubbon bit that the red dye ran,  and I had several episodes where I had to go soak pieces to remove red splodges and wait for them to dry before I could continue.   If I wash this,  I'm going to have to make sure its on a cool cycle.

3)  Having to hand sew the back of all the binding to get a neat finish.

4)  I cannot for the life of me work out how to button it up like the pictures of the flag jacket.  I know that the end of that peplum bit is supposed to be slit but even then I couldn't make it look like the pictures,  I'd also got too much fabric for it to happily gather without looking like a ridiculous ducktail so I just stitched the entire bit together and I'm happy with how it looks.

Some thoughts if you want to sizing it up:

I noticed that piece 9 sort of wraps around the body in a spiral,  so my first attempt I just added 15mm to each side of this piece and that seemed to give me enough room.  When I cut the lining I realised that this left piece 7 looking obviously narrower,  so I  added only to the outer edge of piece 9 and added another 15mm to the lower side of piece 7.  However when I tried it on the dress form,  it still didn't fit,  so I added another 15mm to the edge of piece 10 where it joins to piece 9.   I also added 15mm to each of the zip edges on the sleeve to make it a bit wider.  I tried adding the same amount to the shoulder seam,  but this made the shoulder go all floppy,  so I compromised and added about 5mm to each piece so the armhole fitted me comfortably, and trimmed the attachment part of the sleeve to it fitted the new sleeve head.   All this messing about meant I had to add some length to piece 9 and piece 4 so they joined up properly at the neck point.   This changed the length of piece 9 so that I had to put all the grosgrain bits on by eye,  but actually that wasn't as hard as I imagined.   Anyway,  it fits,  but it is rather snug,  I suspect I should have taken into account the fact I used thicker fabric.

I think if you are particularly busty you'd want to look at pieces 4 and 5 which are basically a princess seam and give yourself some more room there,  there are also options for adding more space across the front by just making piece 2 a bit bigger.

Some advice if you want to do the flag version:

It's not actually as hard as it looks,  but the scribbled guide lines on the patten are just that and don't actually match up with the jacket in the pictures, in fact the layout for the sleeve in the PDF doesn't make the sleeve pictured as that has another row of white at the very bottom.

I started by making up the pieces I could see layout for on the pattern pieces,  then I filled in the gaps going by the pictures,  some of it I just made up.  The only really troublesome bit is pieces 1, 2 and 3 where you need to get the triangle lining up.  I ended up stitching the pieces together and drawing the layout on then cutting the coloured pieces to fit.  I actually find it worked better if you didn't try and match up the colour blocks on the seams.  Mine has ended up with more blue on the shoulder and I flipped the blocks on piece 9 because I thought the red triangle broke up an expanse of white I had going on.  In fact it doesn't matter at all if you don't make it look like the original,  you just need to pick random colour blocks and add in the odd triangle piece.   Having looked at it,  I have my doubts it was made from a flag,  just because of the layout of some of the pieces.

So I'm *nearly* done,  I'm just waiting for some more press studs,  having inadvertently bought 2 different sizes,  Currently the bottom bit doesn't have the lining stitched in, or the binding on and we're some snaps missing,  and I may move that flappy bit up by the collar as its ended up a lot lower than on the original and currently interferes with the top strap.  I notice that the runway version has only the bottom elastic strap,  the flag version has the bottom two,  but the pattern actually has three marked.  I also have to work out the best way of attaching my elastic straps.  I've changed a few things around, that applique bit on the peplum has turned into a strap with eyelets, and I've put eyelets and lacing in the sleeve and laced the sleeve on.

Anyway,  some pictures:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7254/7061636975_e2359b39d5_z.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7076/7061622117_3b6414189a_z.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7215/7061629369_f464ea417b_z.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5468/7061644075_6c601b011a_z.jpg

Spurred on by the pictures that Pso found I had a google about and found this video of it in motion on youtube - its at around 2:20.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSngMgo19Z4

I think I may also have figured out this "grosgrain a cheval" business: After some intensive googling,  I kept ending up at this page on alibaba about saddle stitch grosgrain http://french.alibaba.com/products/saddle-stitch-grosgrain.html, so my initial thought was whoever had drafted the pattern had planned to use that, and then changed their minds. I went with it as my binding because it just looks fab,  but I went narrower than the original.

Sometime later,  I found this page,  from the picture I think that 'au cheval' just means that it needs applying with saddle stitch,  although the picture there doesn't look like grosgrain,  it looks like some sort of tape with a twill weave.

http://100associes.free.fr/Expo6/ExpoTemp6.html

"Placer le gros grain cheval sur les 3 paisseurs de tissu en commenant par le bas du devant et piquer petits points sur tout le pourtour du blanc corset. Faire de mme pour le haut et le bas des manches"

This page also mentions it:  http://www.crdp.ac-caen.fr/examens/04/500/242350/EP2-S.pdf

Big thanks to all the people on Craftster who posted their thoughts about this pattern,  I don't think I'd have ever attempted it if I hadn't read the original thread and seen it was possible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IndividualFrog

the petals will darken and sink

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 13, 2012 09:55:52 PM »

It looks very very nice, Tamserine.  I'm glad to see someone else do the flag version. 

I didn't really have any trouble making it out of actual flags, except that I had to cut the pieces on the bias instead of on the grain.  (As I said long ago, I wonder if they had fabric with the Union Jack printed diagonally.)  Even the sketchy lines matched up fairly well, as I recall.

Your video link has finally, after all these years, proved that the 'basque dos' is sewn to the body the way that everyone but me has always thought it did.  I am wrong.  But that makes it, as you say, impossible to wear the way she's wearing it in the showstudio pics (which I personally think looks much more interesting than the way it's worn on the runway, which is just a sort of twisted corset.  I'm actually not sure I would ever have bothered with this project if it wasn't for the showstudio pictures.)  Someday I swear to God I'm going to track down someone in the Galliano studio who can explain this to me, or else it will bug me for the rest of my life.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

夢も後なく夜も明けて、村雨と聞きしもけさ見れば、松風ばかりや残るらん、松風ばかりや残るらん
John deBoer Custom
miss diss
« Reply #379 on: May 06, 2012 02:55:07 PM »

The thread is alive!

I've been working on this jacket on and off for the last half year, and all your discussions and ideas have been very helpful for me (i couldn't for the life of me figure out the right sleeve, and was rather puzzled by the basque dos).

What i have decided is that the Union-Jack version is sewn differently than the runway version, at least where the basque dos is concerned. I did the "gather to 6 cm" as noted on the pattern and the notches and all line up perfectly. It does give it a "duck-tail", but that fits perfectly with the dress i'm making to go along with it.

As for sizing, i took the brute force approach and printed it out 15% larger (though only after having done a mock-up in the original size). I then made a second mock-up with the larger pattern which fits well (if i had any experience at modifying patterns, and a month or two more time, i'd attempt some changes, but i'm on a deadline).

I'm working with a heavy black satin fabric (except for the right sleeve, where i'm using lighter/less stiff satin), and have replaced most of the grosgrain with a silver brocade ribbon. And i've decided to go for buttons instead of snaps, which is probably insane. And like Tamserine i'm lacing up the left sleeve instead of using a zipper. Like others i'm using straps and buckles instead of elastic for the bits between 2 and 6.

Thanks also to Pso for that picture of the runway version, that's the best picture of it i've seen yet. I'll watch Tamserine's video in a moment.

And yeah i'm on a deadline, i hope to be able to show finished pics here in a week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Not so much fallen as sauntered vaguely downwards."
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
WIND SQUID #5 - Space Pirates!
Les Nabis: When Paintings Were Inspired By Photography
WIND SQUID #6 - Return to Sender!
WIND SQUID #7 - Outpost 34 Emergency
Learn to Draw a Penguin in 30 Seconds
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...