A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
276 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Mysterious Galliano Pirate Jacket - Help Me Decipher It or Sew-Along!  (Read 100550 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

IndividualFrog

the petals will darken and sink

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: April 28, 2010 10:07:40 AM »

The length is kind of hard to determine because of the way it spirals around the body.  But at its longest point it looks like it's about 25 inches.

The problem with scaling up is the grosgrain, but you can work around that I'm sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

夢も後なく夜も明けて、村雨と聞きしもけさ見れば、松風ばかりや残るらん、松風ばかりや残るらん
John deBoer Custom
Shoeier
« Reply #361 on: June 06, 2010 02:53:32 AM »

This looks wicked difficult, but I'm in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DAMdesigns
« Reply #362 on: July 25, 2010 04:58:08 PM »

Love that jacket!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DAMdesigns.etsy.com
N30Nb100d
« Reply #363 on: December 06, 2010 09:52:15 PM »

Has anyone else made any progress on this? I saw some odd striped fabric that automatically made me think of this jacket so I had to get it. It's narrow white/black stripes then very thick black/red stripes. It's pretty light weight though... I know it's been asked but there's a lot of pages to look through: how heavy are the fabrics people are using? should I line it with a twill or something so it has more body to it? I'm nowhere near even starting yet, but now that I have the fabric I have to get to it eventually Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IndividualFrog

the petals will darken and sink

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 11, 2010 11:52:56 PM »

I think it'll work with a lighter weight fabric, and there's no better way to tell than to just make it and see.  As long as it's not chiffon or something it should be fine.  If you think it needs it you can always line it with something a bit heavier.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

夢も後なく夜も明けて、村雨と聞きしもけさ見れば、松風ばかりや残るらん、松風ばかりや残るらん
John deBoer Custom
Bohemian.Blitzkrieg
Rollergirl

Fine Artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #365 on: January 14, 2011 07:03:36 PM »

I'm getting so fired up going through and seeing the awesome-ness that has been made.
I really want to get on this sometime soon.
Is there anybody with an extra pattern to send, by chance?
I don't have a working printer at home currently.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like: Reading, good literature, old movies, sci fi, steampunk, Burton, Roller Derby, Owls, corsets, tattoos, Post Punk music, 1920s-30s,  etc.

I play Roller Derby. 03/02/2010-present

Roller Derby Swap Round 3: Crafting ideas!
LadyPhaerryn
« Reply #366 on: February 13, 2011 08:42:34 PM »

Okay, questions I have about this project are:

Can the inside/liner be made of something like satin? I have a fabulous lavender princess satin lying around, desperate for use. Or does the whole thing need more structure than that? If not, what SHOULD be used for the liner?
For the shell itself, what are the best fabrics to use? I'm playing around with the ideas of leather, brocade, Jacquard, or even velvet. I've read through this thread, but can't remember reading it or not... obviously, it'd have to be flexible enough to wear in that shape, but heavy enough to hold it. Do you think that some of the panels could be overlaid with lace?!
Is the pattern nearly impossible to scale up?! I'm NOwhere near a size 2... so I'd like to scale up the pattern to my size, and I know how to do it, but how terrible is it going to be to attempt? Any insight is appreciated.
Being as how this is dubbed as corsetry, can boning actually be inserted for more structure in the front?! I know this means more time involved with the modification of boning channels..., but it seems to be that it'd look wonderful.
Can I use broadcloth to make the test jacket, or is that just too thin?

I'm sure I'll think of others... sigh. I hate when I see a gorgeous pattern like this and I can't bother with it because I'm too curvy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadyPhaerryn
« Reply #367 on: February 14, 2011 11:27:27 AM »

Just thought of another question... looking at the pattern, what size grosgrain is needed? Scaling the pattern up to 100% it looks like it's about 7/8" and 2", is that right? Or am I losing mine marbles? It's hard to determine without printing it out, but I'd really like to be sure I understand as much of it as I can before I attempt it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marwood
« Reply #368 on: January 26, 2012 04:27:57 PM »

Hi there- I am relatively new to craftster and not sure if this thread will be actively monitored anymore, but I was wondering if anyone else out there would care to do a new sew along for this jacket?

I confess to having already started mine - I am hoping to wear it to my brother's wedding!

Maybe I should find the sew along thread and post there . . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marwood
« Reply #369 on: January 26, 2012 04:35:50 PM »

Hi, I am not sure if you ever did this. The grosgrain ribbon required varies from 22 mm thick for most of it to 4 cm or 40 mm for some other lengths.

I have seen versions ms that do not seem to have any grosgrain.

If anyone is interested in a sew along, I am up for it - although I have already started.

I also am not a size 2, but I have modified the size of the pieces a little - I am not very curvy, but am more like a size 3 maybe. Anyway I did my adjustments based on bust size.

I'm using silk dupion for the main fabric in cobalt blue, black satin for the lining and burgundy grosgrain, so far so good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Graffiti Ideas
Creating Graffiti Art
How to Paint Reflections
Landscape Painting Techniques
Plein-Air Landscape Painting
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...