A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,143
Currently Running With Scissors:
324 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 39
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Mysterious Galliano Pirate Jacket - Help Me Decipher It or Sew-Along!  (Read 99956 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Maggiedoll
« Reply #320 on: January 25, 2010 05:27:38 PM »

Okay, I've only got a couple of pieces together yet.. but the point is to see them going together, right?  So here's my first picture! 
(please excuse the makeshift "dress form".. and all the cords..)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chelsea anne
« Reply #321 on: January 25, 2010 07:17:03 PM »

Whoa, I haven't even printed mine yet, either! Damn. I need to get on it.

I had a feeling cheval meant horsehair braid. There was something else that I ended up using google translator for to figure out, and I wish I had my copy of the pattern with notes here with me so's I could remember. In fact, I have nothing to add to this conversation at all right now, other than so far, everybody else's looks rad. Very rad!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maggiedoll
« Reply #322 on: January 25, 2010 07:39:42 PM »

i kept noticing it saying something about "corset back" which confused me at first because as far as i can tell there is no corset-ry in here...so i think maybe thats just a turn of phrase?
It might refer more to the structure?  It doesn't lace like a corset, but the general build is a lot like a corset kinda turned diagonally..

I ended up printing out three copies of the pattern because I was fiddling with the settings (this was the first thing I actually printed on the large-format plotter.)  So if anybody in the US still needs a printout, I could mail a copy.  (It looks like shipping internationally would be prohibitive between cost and travel time, but domestic media mail is really cheap.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maggiedoll
« Reply #323 on: January 26, 2010 06:56:29 PM »

Got a bit more together..

THIS ROCKS   Logged

alli.illektro
« Reply #324 on: January 27, 2010 12:15:30 AM »

lookin good! im gonna hit the fabric store on thursday. i think my color choices are gonna be limited by what colors of grosgrain i can find. :/ do you think bias tape would work just was well? also, i think im gonna put a few snaps on the sholder and make that long sleeve removable..i think id wear it more as a summer vest/top then a arm-pit-drafty jacket. but i wanna keep the option for when im feelin' edgy.. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maggiedoll
« Reply #325 on: January 27, 2010 06:56:04 AM »

lookin good! im gonna hit the fabric store on thursday. i think my color choices are gonna be limited by what colors of grosgrain i can find. :/ do you think bias tape would work just was well?
I was figuring on ordering from this wholesale ribbon site that I actually found last week, before I knew I was going to need grosgrain!  http://www.theribbonretreatwholesale.com/CatalogOfCategories.aspx?Id=43  Although I've actually been thinking that if I can find it to match, nylon webbing would really work better for all of the places where the grosgrain isn't being used as bias tape.  Come to think of it, webbing might actually "count" as grosgrain-- the name is for the wide ribs, right?  I keep thinking that ribbon is just too thin in the places where it's supposed to look like straps.  So if I can find it in the right sizes with colors to match the ribbons I use to edge it, I think I'm going to use something like this: http://www.voguefabricsstore.com/store/home.php?cat=932  Should probably check a hardware store for that. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chelsea anne
« Reply #326 on: January 27, 2010 09:50:24 AM »

I'm thinking that in some cases when they say grosgrain, they're using it to refer to a fabric with a heavy warp thread, not just the ribbon. So I think webbing DOES count as grosgrain. I'm still trying to find 100% cotton grosgrain ribbon, but I guess it's just not something that's made, so my new mission is to find this grosgrain fabric that wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grosgrain, it was a very entertaining read!) claims exsists, and make bias binding. But it might take me a million years. I might just use black twill tape. Everywhere. All over.

I found the coolest turquoise faux suede yesterday but it's nylon backed and my world is crushed by the fact that it just won't work for this jacket. Too stiff. I'm going fabric shopping after school today again to make myself feel better about it, and maybe I'll find something as rad.

Bleh. Now I HAVE to go to school, or I'll be late. I so wanted to stay home and sew today.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maggiedoll
« Reply #327 on: January 27, 2010 10:30:38 AM »

I've found one place that has 100% cotton grosgrain.  It's a shop in London.. I don't know if they ship over here or not.. but it must be made if they have it, right?  It's the first one here: http://www.macculloch-wallis.co.uk/Category.aspx/Ribbons   (the link to the actual product was insanely long and craftster objected.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IndividualFrog

the petals will darken and sink

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 27, 2010 06:48:36 PM »

For binding the edges bias tape would be fine, and easier for curving around those rounded tabs.  Webbing for the strappy bits would be fine too, I'm sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

夢も後なく夜も明けて、村雨と聞きしもけさ見れば、松風ばかりや残るらん、松風ばかりや残るらん
John deBoer Custom
AlysiaDynamik
« Reply #329 on: January 30, 2010 07:11:01 AM »

OK, I am going to attempt this as well. I haven't sewn anything complicated from a pattern since my prom dress, but I am beyond inspired. Alright, time to go get started!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 39 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Showing/Hiding Palettes with Keyboard Shortcuts
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Setting Palette Options and Sliding Palettes
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Grouping Palettes into Clusters
Adobe InDesign CS2 - File Handling Preferences and Type Tool Options
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Display Performance and Appearance of Black Preferences
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...