A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,913
Currently Running With Scissors:
473 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 39
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Mysterious Galliano Pirate Jacket - Help Me Decipher It or Sew-Along!  (Read 103179 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chelsea anne
« Reply #290 on: January 20, 2010 05:19:29 PM »

That's right, I'm doin' it.

If you're unsure what I'm talking about:
That's the original, but I'll bet the majority of you know it more from this: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=28780.0. It's been five years since those brave souls first had a go, and I've always meant to do my own - originally, I postponed doing it because as is, that damn jacket will never fit me. I'm a much better tailor and corsetiere now than I was then, so I think the time has come...to start the John Galliano Pirate Jacket Sewalong Part II.

Anyone with me? I'm planning on doing it anyway, and I'd love to have anyone else who's up for the challenge join me - for motivational purposes, and so we can help each other!!

Links to get you all sortsa motivated:
The Pattern http://www.showstudio.com/projects/unf/unf_start.html
Look, other people did it! http://www.showstudio.com/projects/unf/unf_start.html
Absolutley amazing - someone's done a tech drawing of HOW IT GOES TOGETHER. http://www.flickr.com/photos/myblackrainbow/sets/72157600181005967/

So...my muslin's bought, and I'm collecting bits and pieces of what I'll need for the final project. I'm just waiting for my financial aid money to come in so I can afford to print the beast of a pattern out. You (yes, you!) should join me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Knitting_Chemistry
Playing with acid and fire? That's a normal day...

Knitting and chemistry...too perfect for words...

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 20, 2010 06:03:46 PM »

Wow that is seriously cool! I wish I could do this but unfortunately it would never fit me and I can't sew...still I might have to figure it out because that is pretty darn awesome!! I hope it goes well, good luck! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Science goggles!!! Is there no limit to their awesome power?!?
alli.illektro
« Reply #292 on: January 20, 2010 08:25:17 PM »

oh man....you tempt me...im gonna give this some considerable thought...it looks WAY outta my league but looking at how it turns out, chances are you couldn't tell if it was slightly messy...im gonna take a look at some fabrics. how do you plan on printing out the pattern? ill try to do it with you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IndividualFrog

the petals will darken and sink

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 21, 2010 07:55:26 AM »

I can't wait to see your results!  If you have any questions I'll be happy to help if I can.  がんばって!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

夢も後なく夜も明けて、村雨と聞きしもけさ見れば、松風ばかりや残るらん、松風ばかりや残るらん
John deBoer Custom
chelsea anne
« Reply #294 on: January 21, 2010 12:26:22 PM »

alli.illektro: I just saw your prep school blazer, and I thought "man, I wish that girl would make a Galliano Jacket with me". So yeah. You should. Because that's almost weird.

Printing-wise, I'm thinking I'll have a copy shop print me two or possibly three copies of the pattern. One to keep for reference whilst I figure this whole thing out (I'll probably hang it on the wall), one to cut for my muslin, and one that I can alter for the final jacket, once I get the muslin all figured out. It depends on how expensive one copy is. I'll do some pricing for that tomorrow.

See, that thing is not going to fit me by about four inches all over, according to people who've finished theirs. So I've got to put in some extra panels somewhere in the jacket to enlarge it a bit. The arms (or arm, rather, since there's really only one, but I think I'll make two) are probably also too small  for me, so I'm hoping to alter the sides in some way to make it both larger around, and have a larger arm hole so's I can have a wider sleeve. Something to do with piece 5, I think. It's like a puzzle. Made of fabric. That you can wear! So like...the best puzzle ever.

Anybody else out there interested? It'll be fun, I promise! And IndividualFrog has made one of these, and if he's around to help then it should be much easier, I'm thinking.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
just-fee
« Reply #295 on: January 21, 2010 01:24:17 PM »

I'm really interested in this too but I'm a uk16 and this pattern seems TINY! Also I think it might be way above my skill level and I would want to do it justice if I were going to make it.
Would you consider doing a blog jacket along....or taking a pic of each step as you go, since I haven't seen one on this jacket and it would be invaluable!!
Best of luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IndividualFrog

the petals will darken and sink

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 21, 2010 03:28:55 PM »

A blog post with some advice.  Also, this lady e-mailed me once, and I believe she sized it upwards to fit her, so maybe you could ask her for advice on that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

夢も後なく夜も明けて、村雨と聞きしもけさ見れば、松風ばかりや残るらん、松風ばかりや残るらん
John deBoer Custom
chelsea anne
« Reply #297 on: January 21, 2010 04:28:48 PM »

Whoa those are awesome. And immensely helpful. I know you said there was a lot of grosgrain involved, but DAMN. That's A LOT of grosgrain. I'm enjoying typing that silent s, so I'm going to type it one more time. Grosgrain.

Also, it just hit me that I really am going to have one of these soon, that I get to wear and be super proud of, and I just can't wait. I want to start it like RIGHT NOW but I don't even have the pattern printed yet! Gah! It's killing me.

just-fee: Oh, there will be pictures. Lots of pictures. In fact, I will add "batteries for camera" to my list of supplies needed for this adventure. I think you should try making your own along with me, though. It can't be impossible to do, and I have this theory that the more prepared I am to do a lot of seam-ripping on a project the smoother it actually goes, so don't be intimidated. You can always tear seams apart and fix as needed. I hate making muslins, but I'll make one for this because I KNOW I'll be making some mistakes. And I'm not sure what the US to UK size comparison is, but I'm a US 8 at the bust, a 12 at the waist and a 16 at the hips, and 14 as far as my arm width is concerned. So yeah, this pattern is in for a major size overhaul. I'd love to see someone else make it larger, too. It looks like it's been done before, so I know it can happen!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alli.illektro
« Reply #298 on: January 21, 2010 06:11:48 PM »

ok so i downloaded the file and just brought it to kinko's to get it printed on their large format printer. its 3 pages and cost about 25.00 to have printed. (or apparently 15.00 at staples)

chelsea anne i know you wanted to have a  few copies printed and tho i think that would be majorly helpful its kinda pricey so i think im just gonna stick with the one and refer to the .pdf for reference. next i need to hit the fabric store...or order up some flags....lol. i think ive got my good friend and fellow craftster numb_carnelian (we met on here!) to do this along with us too..which would be awesome to have someone in real life to consult because sometimes i just cant see things on computers, ya know?

next step: look it over and see what were workin with here...hehe

SOOOO looks like im officially in! i have a cam and can post pics the whole way. Smiley im SUPER excited. i laid awake all last night trying to run over the tech details in my mind (im kinda obsessive like that but once the wheels start turning its hard to get them to stop!)

and you can just call me 'alli' Smiley   
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010 06:22:55 PM by alli.illektro » THIS ROCKS   Logged
alli.illektro
« Reply #299 on: January 22, 2010 01:25:06 AM »

im gonna try to keep technical drawings and details of the whole process as a guide for others as we go (and because things arent very clear otherwise, to me anyway!)

alright im gonna keep adding details and editing these "maps" of the pattern .pdf as we go. for now, the basics that i know:

red numbers = the main numbered pattern pieces (as far as i can find)
yellow = the pieces you will need if you make the long sleeve out of individual pieces
blue = discard able (doubles of other pieces)
orange pieces = elastic (or grosgrain?) elastic i think.

let me know if we sort anything else out, i will update the 'maps'

tally ho!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010 01:25:59 AM by alli.illektro » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 39 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Better Way to Eat an Ice Cream Cone
How to Make Easy and Delicious Walnut Fudge
How to Make Peanut Butter and Nutella Smores
How to Make Candied Orange Peels
Inside the Raaka Chocolate Factory
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...