A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
477 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 39
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Mysterious Galliano Pirate Jacket - Help Me Decipher It or Sew-Along!  (Read 99081 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tigralon
Tig Gooseberry Tartlet

~ living in a magical dollhouse ~

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 23, 2005 05:00:22 PM »

Hurrah!  My completed jacket:

I looove it.  My friend who took the photos has been watching me work on it for months.  She said, "Now that you're finally finished, we have to go out so you can show it off!"  Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005 08:47:59 AM by tigralon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What is a television apparatus to man, who has only to shut his eyes to see the most inaccessible regions of the seen and the never seen, who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary Baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust."  - Salvador Dali
Zombie_Teeth
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Bike Punk

X VEGAN X

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #201 on: May 23, 2005 05:18:02 PM »

That's amazing and you look awesome in it. Radddddddd.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey guys,
Sorry about all the old broken picture posts. I no longer have the files!

IndividualFrog

the petals will darken and sink

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 23, 2005 05:53:02 PM »

Yay!  It looks fantastic!  Ladies, we've done some good work here.  It's been a real pleasure.  I'm going to go start a show-off thread on Completed Projects, OK?  Then we'll be famous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

夢も後なく夜も明けて、村雨と聞きしもけさ見れば、松風ばかりや残るらん、松風ばかりや残るらん
John deBoer Custom
IndividualFrog

the petals will darken and sink

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 23, 2005 06:29:49 PM »

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=36525.0  Hurry up and post because I want you guys to be on page 1
THIS ROCKS   Logged

夢も後なく夜も明けて、村雨と聞きしもけさ見れば、松風ばかりや残るらん、松風ばかりや残るらん
John deBoer Custom
eunoia
« Reply #204 on: May 24, 2005 12:24:51 AM »

hi, i'm new.  (actually, i stumbled upon here courtesy of individualfrog's post on the lj sew_hip community)  upon reading this thread i'm enamoured with this jacket....i'm a tad hesitant to embark on the journey of making it though, as i'm not certain it's going to fit....

is it rude to ask tigralon, cathou, & individualfrog's model what their measurements are?  the jacket seems like it'd be a difficult creature to get an accurate measure of...but if i knew the measurements of humans that it fit, i'd have a better idea of whether or not it'd be a waste of my time to make this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...and if we never get to forever, will you always remember?
starlene

Feed you purse addiction 24/7!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: May 24, 2005 05:31:51 AM »

Wow, I am so impressed by everyone's version.  They are all truly a master-piece!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cathou

se roule un mouton

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 24, 2005 08:41:40 AM »

hi, i'm new.  (actually, i stumbled upon here courtesy of individualfrog's post on the lj sew_hip community)  upon reading this thread i'm enamoured with this jacket....i'm a tad hesitant to embark on the journey of making it though, as i'm not certain it's going to fit....

is it rude to ask tigralon, cathou, & individualfrog's model what their measurements are?  the jacket seems like it'd be a difficult creature to get an accurate measure of...but if i knew the measurements of humans that it fit, i'd have a better idea of whether or not it'd be a waste of my time to make this.

I don't mind giving my measurement at all Wink

I have a 26 inch (natural) waist and 32 inch bust
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<("<) <( " )> (>")>
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 24, 2005 08:57:15 AM »

wow I am so impressed with the three of you! I have been following along for awhile and even chimed in an idea or two. All three of you have done such a great job seeing this through to completion! Like a few others have said I am proud of you as well!
Each jacket has it's own personality and individuality!
Fabulous!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

educo
« Reply #208 on: May 24, 2005 11:38:25 PM »

Actually, educo, only the sleeve is cut that way.  So this is the second time you've tried to lecture to those of us who actually know what we're talking about, having actually worked on this jacket.  Trust us, OK?

Last time I checked, this was a forum, and because of this reason I am free to post suggestions, NOT lectures, as you are quickly assuming.  I had sad  nothing against the construction of your version of the jacket , yet you still manage to take offense to what I was simply saying...I never took offense to your quick assumption (again) that only the individuals partcipating in the sew along know what they're talking about and the not the many people who are watching the progress, me included.  So if I may correct you, I HAVE draping and patternmaking knowledge, so I DO understand the process that goes into making a complicated garment as this...and because of this knowledge, I would take the extra time to plan out each color on each seam, so that when it's fully constructed, it would fold out  flat to a Union Jack flag... wow, can't we all just get along???
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tigralon
Tig Gooseberry Tartlet

~ living in a magical dollhouse ~

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 25, 2005 04:07:11 AM »

Actually, educo, only the sleeve is cut that way.  So this is the second time you've tried to lecture to those of us who actually know what we're talking about, having actually worked on this jacket.  Trust us, OK?

Last time I checked, this was a forum, and because of this reason I am free to post suggestions, NOT lectures, as you are quickly assuming.  I had sad  nothing against the construction of your version of the jacket , yet you still manage to take offense to what I was simply saying...I never took offense to your quick assumption (again) that only the individuals partcipating in the sew along know what they're talking about and the not the many people who are watching the progress, me included.  So if I may correct you, I HAVE draping and patternmaking knowledge, so I DO understand the process that goes into making a complicated garment as this...and because of this knowledge, I would take the extra time to plan out each color on each seam, so that when it's fully constructed, it would fold out  flat to a Union Jack flag... wow, can't we all just get along???

educo, what IndividualFrog was saying is that as the pattern pieces were drawn by Galliano (and posted on Showstudio), if you were to cut different pieces from different solid colours, you would get a jacket of large solid colour-blocks, but not the "Union Jack" pattern that was on the original jackets (and IndividualFrog's).  When we all started this project, we also thought it was just solid fabrics cut to form the design - check out the early pages of this thread and you'll see our posts about this issue.  It wasn't until later that we concluded he had used fabric printed with a Union Jack pattern (and on the bias).

(It would theoretically be possible to sew this design into the jacket with solid fabrics, but only by dissecting each pattern piece into smaller pieces, with some originally large pieces getting cut up into 6 or more little slivers.  In the same way, you could theoretically make a striped skirt by sewing together hundreds of long narrow strips of black fabric and white fabric, but it would be simpler to just buy fabric with the black & white stripes woven in.  This is what Galliano did - he chose to use fabric pre-woven with the pattern, and drew his pattern pieces accordingly.)

If you look carefully at the pdf and the Showstudio photos, you'll see what we mean.  You're correct that a few pieces are marked with a colour (in french), but those are the pieces to the sleeve, which is the only part of the jacket sewn with solid-colour fabrics.  I'm sure that IndividualFrog wasn't trying to offend you, just to clarify this detail.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005 04:21:30 AM by tigralon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What is a television apparatus to man, who has only to shut his eyes to see the most inaccessible regions of the seen and the never seen, who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary Baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust."  - Salvador Dali
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 39 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Penguin
How to Sketch Anime Noses
How to Design a Cartoon Girl
How to Design a Cartoon Boy
How to Design Cartoons Online
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...