A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
420 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 39
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Mysterious Galliano Pirate Jacket - Help Me Decipher It or Sew-Along!  (Read 99684 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

S.C.K.

Not everything is obvious, explore...

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: December 12, 2005 02:06:31 PM »

I am in awe of your skill and inspired. I might attempt the kacket over the x-mas hols. How long did it take you? Bytheway, IT IS TOTALLY STUNNING!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jets_to_july

less than three

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: December 20, 2005 09:28:21 PM »

Oh wow, this jacket is awesome!! Tigralon, IndividualFrog and cathou, you've all done wonderful jobs on it! They look so cool  Cheesy  I've now been inspired by all of your awesomeness and would love to try one out for myself! ^__^  <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eternal_ukyou
Sewing my way to Sanity...

Searching for my prince, or just dressing one.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: February 04, 2006 10:11:07 AM »

Wow! I'm brave but not THAT brave! Just the pattern it self frightens me to tears LOL its beautiful when its done, i must say that, but holy... you are all very very brave for figureing that one out!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

YOu remind me of the babe!
What babe?
The babe with the power!
What power?
The power of Voodoo!
Who do?
You do!
Do what?
Remind me of the babe!

http://anis-faye.livejournal.com/
http://www.wists.com/eternal_ukyou - I love personal swaps! ^^
geckochan
« Reply #243 on: May 22, 2006 10:56:24 PM »

Wow, I'm so amazed to come across a thread for that mind-boggling pattern! And now if I ever wanted to make it, my life would be much easier! However, I was wondering - since I'm nowhere near the right size for this pattern, what do you think would happen if I tried to print it at a larger scale? In my head it seems like a good idea, since all the pieces would still be in proportion to eachother (I guess the only problem is that it would be bigger *everywhere* so would be longer, more broad-shouldered, etc. as well) - but it would be impossible to resize the actual pieces themselves! Anyone have any thoughts on this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IndividualFrog

the petals will darken and sink

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 30, 2006 08:14:11 AM »

Like you say, it would make everything bigger, which would cause a bunch of problems, even if we disregard sizing weirdness.  For example, the zipper lengths written on the pattern would be wrong, the grosgrain would have to be weird widths.  Resizing this pattern would be quite a challenge, I think  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

夢も後なく夜も明けて、村雨と聞きしもけさ見れば、松風ばかりや残るらん、松風ばかりや残るらん
John deBoer Custom
geckochan
« Reply #245 on: June 05, 2006 09:34:18 PM »

Yeah, it probably would be a bit much to attempt. Thanks for your thoughts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chinorlz
« Reply #246 on: June 12, 2006 08:40:56 AM »

Yeah, it probably would be a bit much to attempt. Thanks for your thoughts.

I have recently started this project myself... just finished the muslin version of it to see how everything fits and I began cutting the fabric last night for the real deal.

My plan is to make a version that is exactly the Galliano version first and then with that understood, rework the jacket to be wearable by a guy (me hehe). I thought about it and the modifications would have to be sort of done 'on the fly' if you will. The torso will have to be widened, lengthened and instead of that puffy right shoulder, I'm going to put on a right long sleeve that will just be a mirror image of the left sleeve.

Proportion changes are definitely doable as someone on here made the left sleeve wider since they couldn't even bend their arm in the original pattern's.

Since the jacket is a corset style, adding fabric in the same manner as what's already there (vertical strips of it) is feasible, but I definitely think doing one precisely to galliano's pattern first IN FULL would help out tremendously.

On a side note, the fabric I'm using for the jacket is a black thick-ish nylon almost like the kind Prada uses for their purses. What kind of stitch should I use for this? The cut edges of the fabric tend to fray extremely easily. A tight zig zag stich would be the best for this fabric?

Thanks guys! I hope to be able to post my first jacket on here by the end of summer!

-A
THIS ROCKS   Logged
x_smartie
« Reply #247 on: June 20, 2006 01:08:14 PM »

I am in awe that you three worked out this jacket.

I wont fit into the stupid thing but I'm going to /attempt/ to make it anyway, maybe I'll be able to find a skinny friend that'll want it. I was considering resizing it, but Im still pretty much an amature and I think just figuring out how to put together the mock up will be hard enough for me Wink But, I've got a whole summer ahead of me and nothing to do now my exams are all over, so I now have a project to keep me occupied. Wont my mother be happy.

Thanks so much for all the helpful notes as well, they are going to be invaluable Smiley

I have a question: When printing out the pattern, is there any way to make it so it doesnt print them in brown and just prints the lines, because I dont even want to imagine how much ink it would take if it was all brown. I havent worked out a better way yet, so Im going to attempt drawing round them all in psp so I just have black lines...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Who ate all the pies?
raining_dreams
« Reply #248 on: June 20, 2006 08:21:40 PM »

i think i might try this. i have no idea why, and i dont think it will work, but i need a challenge for over the summer (and into the year too  Roll Eyes)
 i just need to read through all of the pages and try to figure it out.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Street lights dance and street lights sing
Someone cut the oxygen and took a message to the king
Announcing that he wasn't royalty
blog
vegan food blog
cathou

se roule un mouton

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 22, 2006 08:04:02 AM »

II have a question: When printing out the pattern, is there any way to make it so it doesnt print them in brown and just prints the lines, because I dont even want to imagine how much ink it would take if it was all brown. I havent worked out a better way yet, so Im going to attempt drawing round them all in psp so I just have black lines...

I printed mine in grayscale on draft settings, it didn't take near as much ink as I would have thought. If your really motivated you can open the pdf in Illustrator (which I did anyway in order to print it) and retrace every piece with just a basic black line on a different layer, and then just print that layer.
The painful part is to assemble all those sheet of paper together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<("<) <( " )> (>")>
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 39 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pat Mitchell: One Woman Per Station
Pat Mitchell: The Elitist Conversation
Pat Mitchell: Falling Forward
Pat Mitchell: Television Pioneer
How to Make a Bay-Laurel Wreath for the Holidays
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...