A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 304,865
Currently Running With Scissors:
634 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 39
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Mysterious Galliano Pirate Jacket - Help Me Decipher It or Sew-Along!  (Read 101467 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Milly
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2005 03:56:46 AM »

thiss jacket is absaloutly amasing!
i would love to make it but alas am a lame ameteur with almost no experiance and my mum wont help me Sad
might ask a friend in graphics at school to print me some of it to show me the emormity of it, and if my textiles teacher (who hasnt taught me for 3 years...) will help me......
some one has dont it though, in plain black.... so it is doable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i want to walk in the snow and not leave a footprint
tigralon
Tig Gooseberry Tartlet

~ living in a magical dollhouse ~

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2005 06:32:27 AM »

Cathou, I'm so glad you figured out that printing trick.  It sounds much easier than what I tried.  Wink  I'll give that a shot today.

I was thinking about what size the finished jacket would be, and whether I would have to grade the pattern to fit me (I stink at grading Smiley), and it occurred to me that if a model is wearing it in the photo, then it must be model-sized.  And aren't all models the same size, to make it easy for designers?  (I know fit-models have to be exact sizes, but I think even runway models have to all be similar to each other.)  I think I remember reading that they can't be larger than a size 2, but perhaps someone else knows with more authority...anyway, that might give us a rough idea of the size of the jacket if made from the pattern exactly as drawn.

And IndividualFrog, I couldn't agree with you more.  If they were going to provide only one sheet of directions, why do it for the (relatively) easiest part??  I guess this jacket really is supposed to be the fabric version of a jigsaw puzzle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What is a television apparatus to man, who has only to shut his eyes to see the most inaccessible regions of the seen and the never seen, who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary Baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust."  - Salvador Dali
tigralon
Tig Gooseberry Tartlet

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2005 12:47:11 PM »

I found an easier way to print it on a home printer. You will need adobe's Illustrator 10 (haven't tried it with other versions):
A quick note for anyone using Illustrator CS.  Go straight to "Print," then "Setup," then look at "Tiling" under Options and choose "Tile Imageable Areas."  Thanks to Cathou, who figured out this easy solution.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What is a television apparatus to man, who has only to shut his eyes to see the most inaccessible regions of the seen and the never seen, who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary Baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust."  - Salvador Dali
missgeekcore
Duchess of geeks.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2005 01:31:07 PM »

I am also trying to work on this. I got sick of trying to print the pattern out after 2 tries, so I took it down to kinkos and had them do it (cost me $18 in case anyone is wondering). I am going to attempt my muslin version of this over the next week, to figure out if it will come remotely close to fitting me. I agree, it would be nice if there was a size indicator. I kind of like the jigsaw puzzle thing though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IndividualFrog

the petals will darken and sink

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2005 11:16:03 PM »

I just crashed my computer printing, so I'm taking a break for a minute.  Foolishly, I have been playing Cat Power while printing/cutting out pieces, so the joy of last night has been replaced by misery.

I'm guessing that "size" in relation to this pattern would be pretty meaningless.  My guess is we'll have to just find out what size it is when it's made :/  I sort of wish I was still on speaking terms with my ex-girlfriend because she is superskinny and would probably be a good model for this thing.  But who knows, really?

I went to look on style.com for what it looked like on the runway, and was semi-surprised to find it in an uglier, green/floral/orange colorway:
http://www.style.com/style/view/19/34/100033419.jpg
but this explains, perhaps, the "vert" and "fleur" notations on some of the pieces.  Has anyone figured out the colors for each piece yet?  Sometimes they have two or even three colors marked on them!  Usually between sort of scribbly lines...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013 11:26:34 AM by meleriffic - Reason: Removed hot-linked image and replaced with link. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

夢も後なく夜も明けて、村雨と聞きしもけさ見れば、松風ばかりや残るらん、松風ばかりや残るらん
John deBoer Custom
GoTo
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2005 01:28:26 AM »

I am not nearly so brave as to try this project--I wish you all great success, but I did have 2 thoughts that might help you. 

First, would it help to print it out on legal sized paper?  (8.5" x 14")  I've blown up patterns for large projects where using legal sized paper changed the pages from 12 down to a more manageable 8.  Also, once they are all taped together, you might be able to get a cheap-ish copy at an office supply store with a copy shop.  The Office Max in my area (NY) has a self-serve photocopy machine for blueprint-sized copies that are less than $5.00 a copy.  (I don't know if they offer service with printing from a file at such a low rate.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glass Coaster Kits--make your own pressed flower coasters: http://gotogreatpanes.com/none.html
Jewelry Supplies--including Plastic Earring Hooks & Posts: http://gotogreatpanes.com/supplies
Special Effects Hair Dye (SFX):  http://gotogreatpanes.com/giftsforgoths/sfx
Milly
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2005 05:53:14 AM »

i cant download the pattern Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i want to walk in the snow and not leave a footprint
tigralon
Tig Gooseberry Tartlet

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2005 07:44:33 AM »

but this explains, perhaps, the "vert" and "fleur" notations on some of the pieces.  Has anyone figured out the colors for each piece yet?  Sometimes they have two or even three colors marked on them!  Usually between sort of scribbly lines...

Wow...that's quite a colour combo!  Good to know that we can ignore the "vert" and "fleur" comments.  As for bizarre colour notations, for example check out the piece shaped like a shoulder-pad near the top of the first page.  On the left it says "rouge," and on the right it says "blanc."  Yet we're supposed to cut it out of one piece of fabric??  This confusion might also explain why those people on the website chose to sew their jackets in solid colours.  Cheesy
EDIT: While taping together my printed pieces, I think I figured out why some pieces have different colours written between penciled lines.  Those pieces are lining pieces (example: for the sleeves) and the penciled notations indicate the colour that goes over top of that lining piece.  That also answers my question below about whether we'll need lining material.  And I think that the lining material shows where the top flips down and the sleeve slits open (like the flowered material in the picture that IndividualFrog found), so we should buy nice lining material, not just a neutral cotton.

Milly, if you can't download the pattern: have you tried a different web browser?  What exactly happens when you try to download it?

Let's compile a list of everything that we'll need.   I'll start out with things I've noticed on the pattern, but I'm sure those of you with more experience can clarify/add items, and we can fill in details (like zipper length) as we figure them out:
- fabric for the main garment in red, white, and blue (# of yards - any guesses?)
- (lining fabric - is there a lining? yardage?)
- thread in red, white, and blue
- interfacing - anyone have a opinion on weight of interfacing?  fusible/non-fusible?
- grosgrain - I've seen this a lot on the pattern - does this mean grosgrain ribbon?  how wide?  what colour(s)?  any guesses on amount needed?  (and does anyone know what "a cheval" means in reference to the grosgrain, as it's written near it several times.  The literal translation - "of the horse" - isn't providing any insight. Wink)
- snap fasteners (size is maybe 1 cm? # needed?)
- zipper (length?)
- "button stand" - anyone know what this means?
- eyelets (# needed?)
- elastic for loops (width? length needed?)
- "grosgrain loop with ring" - so we'll need some sort of rings
- metal studs (# needed?)
- press studs (# needed?)
- "shoelace cord of at least 24 cm" (colour?)
- buckles (size? at least 2 needed, maybe more)

Feel free to update/edit this list!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005 11:57:18 AM by tigralon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cathou

se roule un mouton

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2005 03:26:20 PM »

" cheval" most probably means that the grosgrain ribon will be used to do the edging.

I'm almost finished cutting the pattern. I actually like the green/orange combination ... I just don't like the floral, I was looking for an other option then the union jack.

and the button stand thing sounds weird because there is no mention of buttons in french ...  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<("<) <( " )> (>")>
IndividualFrog

the petals will darken and sink

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2005 09:07:00 PM »

A button stand is just an added piece for a button to go on, also known as a button extension.  I'm pretty sure that "a cheval" just means we bind the edges with the ribbon, like cathou said.  I am probably going to use a very light fusible for the interfacing.  Going from the pictures, the lining should probably be red; I'm probably just going to use the same red fabric I use for the self, unless it's really uncomfortable.  But mine will probably never get worn Sad so I don't have to worry about it too much.

I find it amusing how lackadasical they were about translations.  Cathou, "manche droit devant" means "right sleeve front", right?  My French is terrible.

Oh, and you guys can call me John  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

夢も後なく夜も明けて、村雨と聞きしもけさ見れば、松風ばかりや残るらん、松風ばかりや残るらん
John deBoer Custom
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 39 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Copy Pictures
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Beach or Snow Scenes
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Backlight Scenes
How to Take a Basic Picture Using the Panasonic G1/GH1
How to Set Up the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Basic Pictures
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...