A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,683
Currently Running With Scissors:
450 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Amazing 1970s vintage psychedelic handsewn shoulder length green swirly gloves!  (Read 3958 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ludicrouslouisa
« on: January 18, 2009 04:33:05 AM »

Yeah. Title says it..really..
I found some AMAZING f***ing fabric at the disaster relief thrift store for $1 and said YES YES YES! It was this spandex sort of fabric..not very much of it...perhaps 80 by 60 cm or something? Maybe less?
It sat there in my cupboard for ages and suddenly I realised I needed to make amazing gloves from it.

They're handsewn, and the pattern i made from a pair of wrist length leather gloves I have (Although since they were leather, they had a lot more gussets..I left the gussets out of these cause it's a devastatingly stretchy fabric) the machine probably would have gone crazy and eaten this fabric so I had to do it by hand.

so yeah..that's about it. They're pretty damned useless..but I think I needed something this crazy in my wardrobe.. I love them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ma Rut
A Made-In-The-South Original

Swap Addict, officially.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009 06:03:56 AM »

Lovely! I like 'em with the outfit as a whole as well Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009 06:31:59 AM »

those are awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Le Mieux
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009 08:32:43 AM »

love them!! i especially love the action shot - the mental pattern on the fabric really brings out the panic in the situation -  Shocked
do you use a pattern or just go for it? ive always fancied making gloves, but...i dunno....do you just draw round your fingers?? x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people

http://www.wists.com/harbles
http://miss-chlo.blogspot.com

UK Swap - sent!
exubereactor

She's a crafty one.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009 08:53:58 AM »

Holy cow!  What a project! 
They're awesome!

Looks like a friend spontaneously combusted there though in the second pic - my sympathies..."and only the flipflops remained..."

:0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Throw your heart over the fence.
The rest will follow.
- Norman Vincent Peale
Trekky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009 11:03:20 AM »

They are gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
strawberrycherry
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009 12:29:44 PM »

Smileyvery cute!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ludicrouslouisa
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009 12:34:41 PM »

love them!! i especially love the action shot - the mental pattern on the fabric really brings out the panic in the situation -  Shocked
do you use a pattern or just go for it? ive always fancied making gloves, but...i dunno....do you just draw round your fingers?? x

There are a number of ways you can do it..I traced the basic shape off these leather gloves

tapered it a little at the wrist and then measured the widest point of my upper arm and then how long I wanted them to be and from the fingers I just cut a line 45cm long and angled up so the ends were 13 cm or something. That doesn't make sense. Whatever...the length of the gloves is the easy bit! Pretty much all gloves will need a separate piece for the thumb...which you sew into a hole that you chop in the palm - this allows for more movement of the thumb. I was using a highly stretchy fabric so each finger piece was only about as wide as my finger (not really any seam allowance), but if you are using leather or silk or something not so stretchy, you will probably have to make gussets for your fingers. Also, if you want to have gloves tapered at the wrist and are not using stretchy fabric, you will need to make the wrists button up so that you can undo them to get your hands in!
Here's a site that explains how - http://www.glove.org/
Of course, if you can find some gloves that fit you, you can carefully trace around each piece (difficult, since they're three dimensional) or unpick them and use the pieces as a pattern.
I hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nicegoing
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009 01:06:07 PM »

Effing cool! I love that fabric. Great job! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glamboots
Uncommon Sense

The impossible takes a bit longer.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009 02:10:48 PM »

Awesome! I made gloves before, and what I did for the pattern was to use an old pair of gloves and cut them apart. Then I traced those onto a piece of heavy paper. And yes, I did sew them on a machine. That was tough, but I had a modified machine. By modified, I mean I put an old-fashioned crank handle on the wheel so I could sew one stitch at a time. That worked great for the bottom parts of the fingers. And believe it or not, the first pair of gloves I made were out of a stretchy rubber fabric. Not waterproof gloves, mind you, but it was just something I was determined to try. I'll have to dig them out and show you a picture, if I can get someone to model in them.

The last pairs I did were made without pinning the fabric together as I sewed. I used a fabric glue to just ever-so-slightly glue the pieces together at the joints, making the seams a bit oversized, then when they were sewn, cut off the glued part. Believe me, it worked! You have to experiment with these things.

By the way, I do costumes for 60's and 70's retro parties and shows, and you are so retro!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you really wanted to do it, you'd find the time.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Blow Dry Natural Hair
How to Properly Detangle Natural Hair
How to Maintain Weaves and Wigs
5 Questions to Ask Your Hairstylists Before Getting a Weave
How To Create A Sleek Ponytail
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...