A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,897
Currently Running With Scissors:
489 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Anti-Uggs -- Bucking a Trend  (Read 3474 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lil_abi
« on: January 17, 2009 08:19:26 PM »

Back a few years, when Uggs (the plain ones) had just come out and were all the rage, DH asked me why girls were wearing them with mini-skirts, as the weather clearly was not conducive to sweating out the tootsies in sheepskin.

"Because it's November," I said.  "Trends follow the calendar, not the thermometer."

And I started seeing them everywhere.  Not one to let a mega-trend go by without contemplating a parody, I bought myself a pair of moc-Uggs at Target for $20 (leather -- really!), and borrowed my sister's friend's big-ass pack of Sharpies.  I have not put a sealer on them (though I initially wanted to), and they have neither bled nor faded since their creation.

I got to work.  They're not my finest artisanship, but I enjoyed making my "statement", if there's a statement to be made here. 

The boots:

Back:

Yes, those are turtles with international flags on their shells.

Sides:

They're warm, comfy, and no one else has a pair like 'em.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
hippiejo74
Life, liberty and the pursuit of craftiness.

Gotta go - kids chewed thru their straps...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009 10:05:29 PM »

Grin Love! I bought Uggs several years before they became "in" and once they were everywhere - I stopped wearing them Cry They are the most comfortable shoes ever - and now I know what I can do to them to make them different than everyone else's... Wink Although...they have been sadly worn and now need a coverup just as much as they need to not be labeled as Uggs... Grin
Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my etsy shop - vintage, eco-friendly and all kinds of crafty goodness Smiley
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5029774

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud."
1 Cor. 13:4
nevaehyeknom
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009 10:38:08 PM »

I SERIOUSLY WANT THESE.  So awesome!  I'm wisting and THIS ROCKS...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jeane
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009 10:46:52 PM »

These are just too cool!!! Blank slate (even if it is leather Smiley) and sharpies, now that's a combination made in craft heaven!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to get together with others in the area and have a day of crafting while emptying that "extra" (is there such a thing?) supplies! If interested PM me!!
cherry_blossom55
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009 08:50:15 AM »

now, I have to say that I like the drawriing-all-over-my-shoes thing, and you did it really nicely! However, I humbly question your "statement" against the ugg trend...wouldn't it be more conducive to not wear uggs at all? (that's my logic anyway...)

either way, and despite my utter loathing of uggs, I like what you've done to them. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lil_abi
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009 09:34:51 AM »

wouldn't it be more conducive to not wear uggs at all? (that's my logic anyway...)

You'd think so, wouldn't you?  Sometimes, I just moved to do something...and while "boycotting" is of course a statement as well, it's not so powerful if you're the only one doing it...and the trendmonsters aren't exactly looking at my feet saying, "Oh, wow!  She's not wearing Uggs."   My loathing often turns into a strange perversion.  I also have schemes for mocking Vera Bradley and Coach, if I can find the time.  You'll have to stay tuned!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
cherry_blossom55
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009 12:01:57 PM »

hahaha, I can't wait to see these mockeries.

I suppose you're right in a way....nobody's going to notice that I'm specifically wearing nice heeled boots instead of uggs...but they would certainly notice your colourful ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lorchick
Obsessive Compulsive

; p

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009 01:45:51 PM »

lol @ Uggs. The bugger of the thing is, i thought uggs were just those monsterfeet boots, i didn't realize these things were Uggs as well until recently, and thought to myself "why the heck are all these people wearing these nice clothes and then these odd wierdlyshaped suede boots? I don't get it."
But then I had a pair of little suede beigey boots (like the Uggs, i guess, but i dunno, shaped nicely and stuff?) on my DD and somebody was like 'oh and look at those cute little Uggs' and i smiled blankly and was like "?!" on the inside.

I think the name of Uggs speaks for itself, really.
They do make a nice blank canvas though, i see...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have sixtybillion more ideas than actual completed projects. Blog stalker, fast talker, slow walker!
I am lorchick of ON{thelaundry}LINE blog.
Smell the flowers, kill the bugs, laugh at your mistakes, and hide the laundry! Cheesy
x0xmanda
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009 03:02:30 PM »

BAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH
very lovely!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Moo!
alexxxx
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012 04:35:20 PM »

LOVE these boots!
Are you still wearing them? Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Beach Hair Look Chic
Beauty Test Lab: Is This Tool the Ticket to Healthy Hair?
3 Ways to Wear a Scarf in Your Hair
Wildfox Swimwear Cruise 2015 Miami - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
How to Prevent Hair Thinning
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...