A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
418 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting needles: Circular or straight?  (Read 598 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

OriginalKat
« on: January 17, 2009 07:53:01 PM »

I am a total NOOB when it comes to knitting as I usually crochet. I have some straight needles from when I learned to knit when I was a kid. I want to make a hat. Like this.http://tiajudy.com/ribcaps.htm
I'm confused as to which needles I would be using. Would I be using straight or circular needles? I didn't even know there were circular needles until I started looking into knitting again. I always see people with straight needles going unbelievably fast. Any help is much appreciated. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009 08:38:47 PM »

Here's the clue as to what needles the hat is worked on:
"cast on a multiple of 4 stitches,... and join in circle." as you can't knit in a circle on straight needles. You can take this pattern however, and add a couple of stitches and then knit - p1, k2, p2, across and end with a k1; the extra stitches would account for the seam when sewing it up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
girlypirate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my arms are too short to box with God.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009 06:55:03 AM »

It's almost always possible to knit flat and seam, but knitting in the round goes so much more quickly!  I think you'll be quite pleased if you invest in a circular and some double pointed needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OriginalKat
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009 06:08:00 AM »

thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009 01:54:48 PM »

Even patterns that call for straight needles, I'll use circulars (just don't join!)

It is a lot easier on my wrists. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Josh - Photo.net
Photography Guru - Knitting Knucklehead

My little man and me.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009 11:03:10 AM »

While I like the traditional style of straight needles, I tend to use circular needles for most everything I can.

Assuming that you want to knit the hat complete, and not "knit then stitch up" you will need a circular needle (usually 16" or so) and a set of DPN's in the same size. Yes, there are other fancy ways you can avoid the DPN's or use a longer circular needle, but I'm trying to keep it simple here. Essentially:

• You cast on some number of stitches (many simple hat patterns seem to have 100 as an average, but sizing is one of the most annoying pasts about knitting hats)
  • Join the first and last cast on by knitting them
  • Then knit knit knit in a circle for a long while (no purling unless you are making a pattern)
  • Eventually you start doing a "knit two together" decreasing patten and after a while you are going to get too small for the circular needle.
  • Once you get too small for the circ, you will have to switch to DPN's. Continue the decreasing pattern until you have 6-8 stitches left.
  • Use a tapestry needle to loop the last few stitches together and close up the hole at the top of the hat.

There is a good basic "roll brim" hat pattern here:

http://www.cs.oswego.edu/~ebozak/knit/ck-patterns/rbhat.html

It's not fancy. But it's a good "first hat".
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knkurz
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009 07:30:16 AM »

I also prefer circular needles.  I think it's nice to be able to slide the work down onto the loop to keep it from dropping stitches when you set down a project.

If you haven't purchased needles yet, you might want to try out different materials if you can.  Bamboo is by far my favorite needle so far.  Metal is slippery, and plastic ones can sometimes be difficult to work with (and I don't like plastic crochet hooks, either!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

clicksticks
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009 09:06:07 PM »

Another circs fan here!  I find for big projects they keep the weight much more evenly distributed (nice on my wrists).  My only straights are ones I've inherited, I never buy them...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Studio Marlowe  Knitting patterns, etc.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wavy Holiday Hairstyle
How to Get a Day to Night Hairdo
Adding Accessories to Your Hairstyle
Homemade Hair Treatments for Oily Hair
InStyler Hair Straightening Treatment
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...