A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,166
Currently Running With Scissors:
561 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cherry Print Newsboy Cap with tutorial *img. heavy*  (Read 3758 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bluwave06
Tutorial Contributor

Fifties Twist

View Profile WWW
« on: January 17, 2009 07:47:09 PM »

Here is the tutorial on cut out and keep:
http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/cherry_print_newsboy_cap

Ok, so here is the long awaited tutorial. I had plans on making one for myself, so I thought why not make a tutorial as I go. Here is mine, as a retro chick I love cherries:

Newsboy Cap Tutorial

I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with! After making this cap http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=284276.0  and these two caps http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=284859.0, a few requests for a tutorial I put one together.

Supplies: 3 pattern pcs, interfacing, fabric yd for the print and - 1 yd of contrast, and a button with a stem (not flat, but domed)
* any thing else you want to use on hat--I am experimenting with lace, ribbons, ruffles, changing the shape of the brim, etc. Be creative, have fun!!

If you need clearer images, I will try to make them clickable.
Steps:
1. Cut out all the pieces---- 8 of the cap body pieces (16 total- 8 from the print and 8 from the lining/contrast), Brim cut 2 out of  which ever one you choose and one out of interfacing *depending on weight of interfacing you may need more than one layer, I used an extra two layers of the black fabric for my interfacing*, Band- cut 2 out of contrast

Cap Body
2. Start sewing the Outer cap body pieces together, starting on the longer of the two sides. Sew with right sides together matching the long side to the long side, short side to short side. Sew all pieces together like this.

So, now you will have a complete hat body, repeat for the lining.

3. Now it is time to finish off the top. This is a little hard to explain so I will do my best.. Bring up all the side seams at the top, so it is sort of a line. You will stitch across, catching all of the top seams. See picture below to get an idea. This closes the top.

Brim
4. With right sides together. The interfacing will be on the wrong side. Sew the interfacing and brim pieces together. You are sewing around the edge that will be facing out.

5. Turn right sides out and press. (the interfacing is sandwiched between the two) Topstitch as many times as you would like along the outer edge. I did two rows.

Band
6. Sew the bands at C.B. (with right sides facing) to form a complete circle. You will have 2 when you are done.

7. Divide evenly into eight sections and place a pin at each.

Sewing Band and Cap Body
8. Take one of the bands and the outer cap body, and place it right sides together. Match each seam with the pin from step 7. *Ignore the gap at the moment, see next step*

9. Make a tiny pleat in each section, just enough to take in the excess fabric. Pin. *Make sure you have them all facing the same way. Sew all the way around. Repeat for the lining.

10. Topstitch on the right side where the band and cap body meets. Repeat for lining.

Sewing the Brim, Lining and Outer Pieces Together
11. Place the lining inside the outer part with right sides facing. You should see the seams on the outside and inside (kind of looks like an inside out bag) Matching C.B. seams and pin.

12. Now you are going to sandwich the brim in between the two layers.  Match C.F. and pin. Go along each side of the brim pining in between the layers, when you reach the brim ends, you are going to  match the end where you topstitched along the raw edges of the bands.

13. Start sewing 1 from the C.B. seam and sew all the way around to the other side and sew 1 past the brim edge. You should now have a opening approx. 2.

14. Turn inside out through the hole, push the lining to the inside and press along the lower edge. You are going to fold the opening inward and you will edge stitch along the edge.

15. This is completely optional but add the button at the center top, going  through both layers. Try to match the lining as best as you can with the thread.
Also, you can tack down at the back so the hat stays in shape.
16. Now you have yourself a wonderful newsboy cap. Warning: They are addictive!!!

If you have any questions feel free to post here or PM me.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009 10:17:24 AM by bluwave06 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009 07:58:13 PM »

Yea! This is great! I've been thinking about making a cap! I'll have to give your tute a try! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CloudxxSeph
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009 08:51:13 PM »

This is so cute! I just might have to use this tutorial--i was searching for newsboy ones earlier, and this is the first I really liked. I like that it looks less slouchy, because i think it will serve my purpose better Smiley

in other words, thanks!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bluwave06
Tutorial Contributor

Fifties Twist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009 05:52:34 AM »

Your both very much welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IHeartMstrChief

Imperial Beagle!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009 02:45:58 PM »

YAY! You're the best!!! Now to find time to make one! You rock!!!

Squee!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tara1979
They Saved My Life...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009 12:02:35 AM »

This is sweeeeeeet! I am so going to try to make something like this! Thank you for the tutorial! I can never find hats that fit my gigantic head (as my bro says, I have a football helmet head, lol!). Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewingmachinemadness
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009 12:50:37 PM »

brilliant tutorial Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silverjingles
Keeper of the bees!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009 01:04:12 PM »

Lovely tutorial!!

And an awesome hat!! I can't wait to make one!!

Love,
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bluwave06
Tutorial Contributor

Fifties Twist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009 02:29:58 PM »

Your all very welcome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hat-and-bag-lady

Too lazy 2 work, too honest 2 steal, jst rt to sew

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009 03:08:29 PM »

Fantabulous! Love the Cherry Print Fabric!  Great Tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Onion Rings
How to Personalize Your Stuffing
How to Make Hawaiian Pulled Pork
Grilled Minas Cheese with Pesto Sauce Recipe
The Future of the New York Food Scene
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...