A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 305,881
Currently Running With Scissors:
428 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with clay molds  (Read 737 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kaishabackwards
I am interested in politics so that one day I will not have to be interested in politics.

My eyes are nothing like the sun.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 15, 2009 03:48:14 AM »

Does anyone know how to use these?

I thought that I just had to put the clay in there and it would make a nice smooth shape but it's not really working.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009 03:48:43 AM by kaishabackwards » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LeapFeetFirst
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009 06:32:47 AM »

Those are actually bevel cutters- you use them like cookie cutters.

http://www.theclaystore.com/pages-productinfo-product-881/beveled-edge-cutters-set-1.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009 11:11:34 AM »

Here's the info I have at my site about those "bevel edge cutters":

Bevel Edge Cutters, by Amaco --orig. sold by Poly-Tools, I think
 (various shapes of double-ended plastic cutters--same shape on each end but one shape larger than the other end)

(the instructions are confusing, I agree, and the cutters are not quite what we'd assumed from the name)
... so, I think they're not cutters necessarily only for making beveled edges, but cutters which are themselves beveled to allow one to more easily make freestanding bezels-frames, or to simply make the impression of a "frame" of the same outline shape inside a larger same-shape cutout.
(I think the main beveled edge of the cutter unit is there only so that the second smaller cutter on the other end can be a continuous part of the larger cutter...and that the smaller bevel which creates the rim of the smaller cutter is beveled so that it can make that edge sharper and cut more easily)

...USES?... I'd guess these ways:
1. create a freestanding bezel-frame (which would itself end up beveled a bit perhaps depending on the thickness of the clay sheet being cut) .....press the larger cutter's end down through the clay to create a cut-out (or just cut around it like a template if it's not really sharp) .....then center the smaller cutter's end on the cutout, and press down through the clay .....remove the center cutout, leaving a frame-bezel
2. create a freestanding bezel-frame by making only impressions with one or both cutter shapes (in the same positions as above), but then actually cutting them out with something else like a blade --or stiff pin, etc.
3. create a frame line inside the larger cutout simply by making an impression of the smaller cutter line inside it (IOW, do as above but don't actually cut out the center part; simply press the smaller cutter onto the large cut out shape enough to make an impression --which would register visually as a "frame")
.... I thought at first that Amaco might intend one to use a long blade to make cuts using the beveled sides of the cutter as a guide for 45 degrees --actually would be much less than 45 degree angle... but that would only allow one to bevel the outside of the larger shape --IOW, not using the larger cutter as a cutter; but instead placing the cutter large side down on a clay sheet, then laying a long blade up against one of the beveled sides of the cutter and sliding it down into the clay sheet till the cut is complete. Diane B.
(for making beveled edges on cutout shapes yourself, see the "Beveled Edges" subcategory above)
:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/cutters-blades.htm[/i]

P.S.  Of course, almost anything concave can be used as a "mold" for polymer clay, though it can be harder to remove the clay from a straight-sided (or nearly-straight-sided) item that's used as a mold.  So you could play around with making various thicknesses of clay shapes using these "cutters" as molds, but you may need to use a release to get them to come out easily (or remove them by pressing more raw clay onto one end and pulling out, etc.)

HTH,

Diane B.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009 11:28:15 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Beauty Products to Buy Until You Die
Jennifer Lawrence Is the New Face of Christian Dior Beauty
Kim Kardashian Spent Over $20,000 on Beauty Treatments for One Night
Expert Reveals Speedy Summer Makeup Tips
Beauty on the Rocks: Diddy
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Summer Hat
Hedgies!
Meatless Monday: Bean Burgers

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...