A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,605
Currently Running With Scissors:
555 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cloche hat pattern for sewing?  (Read 3011 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

radical
« on: January 17, 2009 07:43:21 AM »

My daughter needs a 1920's style cloche hat (very simple bell shape) to go with her outfit for a school production and I can't seem to find a ready-made pattern.  So I sketched out a quick pattern according to her head measurements, and it should be simple to do. 

But it occurred to me that someone here might know where I can find one that's already been done so that I don't have to de-bug it.  My measurements never seem to be quite right until I've tweaked and fiddled with them once or twice. 

And just btw - is that fiddling process something every pattern designer has to go through routinely, or is it just me?  It won't hurt my feelings - I know I'm not an arithmetic person and the geometry of a curved universe is more than I should probably ask of myself.  But I've always been curious to know if I'm just spatially-challenged or if it is simply the nature of the beast?   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CayceeMae
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009 09:46:43 PM »

Nah every post i've read on here where the person talks of making their own pattern, talks about how drafts they made!
I can't reall help you with the hat, came across your query while looking for a cloche pattern for myself.
the only free pattern i've come across is this http://sewing.about.com/od/childrensclothingprojects/ss/flutedhat.htm
i think if might work for a cloche style hat
THIS ROCKS   Logged
radical
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009 06:33:44 AM »

Oh, that's really cute!  Thanks!  I'm going to download it to fiddle with if my own pattern doesn't look right. 

It looks like I may be making quite a few of these, so I'll have to come up with a decent pattern.  Once I have it, I'll try to upload it somewhere.  I can't be the only person who wants one. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009 08:10:43 AM »

That is a very cute pattern, it might need to be amended to bring the flare down closer to the ears to make it a true cloche and not look like a beach hat.

Yes, pattern making is a trial and error process. Big designers recycle specific pieces that they have developed to perfection so the tweaking time is reduced to small details.

The reason you aren't finding sewing patterns for cloches is because they were traditionally wool felt or buckram, both of which which can be shaped without sewing. Haberdashery is a whole course of instruction in itself, I don't blame you for not having the time to learn a new profession!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rebel
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009 09:49:06 AM »

this might help and has a free pattern and instructions:

http://www.dailycandy.com/new_york/article/28693/Making+Headway
THIS ROCKS   Logged
radical
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009 08:09:08 PM »

Thanks for all the tips!  My pattern looks very similar to that last one, except only 4 pieces.  I've been working on 20's style dresses for the show and haven't gotten to the hats yet.  So I may try them both. 

And I must say that I'm relieved to know that it isn't just my tape measure that fibs.  Thanks again! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stringofpearls
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009 07:53:48 PM »

How did it turn out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marieC
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009 07:26:06 PM »

Honestly, I'd recommend checking out Macys.  I've gotten two cloche hat from there (one black, one brown) for about $20 each (those newspaper coupons are awesome).  I'm sure making hats is a great and worthy skill, but if I can get my accessories at the right price, I'd rather just buy them.  Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A state of confusion is unpleasant, but a state of certainty is ridiculous.  - Voltaire.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Making DVD Christmas Ornaments with Tanya Memme
Upcycled CD Disco Ball & Jewelry - Do It, Gurl
How to Beautifully Wrap a Bottle of Wine
How to Create a Fall Wreath in Under 30 Minutes
How to Make Homemade Bows
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...