A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 305,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
489 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Purple/green baby quilt (my first quilt EVER!)  (Read 2245 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GrannysAnnie

"It's always something!"

View Profile WWW
« on: January 16, 2009 09:39:02 PM »

Hey everyone!

I'd never made a quilt before, but I got a sewing machine not all that long ago, and my sister just had a *beautiful* little girl.  Put those two together, and whaddya get?  First quilt for baby!  Cheesy  I bought a quilt kit from JoAnn's and a rotary cutter/mat.  I couldn't pass it up because the fabric colors were pretty much exact matches for the baby's room decor.  Ok, the box said it would take 4-6 hours... Are y'all laughing as hard as I am right now, haha?  It took me a week, working on it nearly all day long every day!  So I have a newfound appreciation for all you quilters out there.  Y'all must have the patience of a saint!  Anyway, here's the pictures.  The quilt isn't anywhere near perfect, and neither are the pictures, but I'm pretty darn proud nonetheless.  I fully plan on making more quilts in the future so I can get better at it.

On the table with poor lighting (well, they all have poor lighting, LOL)

Different angle

Suspended from the cabinet

Boring back

Thanks for looking!  I'd really appreciate any comments or criticism.  Since I had no idea what I was doing, any tips would be awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The screenname says it all - I'm my Granny's Annie!

*PhD student and audiologist extraordinaire*
Pinky Yarn
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009 10:03:58 PM »

That actually looks really good for your first quilt. I love the color scheme. I can't quite tell if you mitered your corners or not. If not, on your next one watch this video and it'll make a ton of sense and it's like magic lol. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c85voeoj50Y She also has some other videos that are pretty good. You did a great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay finally done moving!

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help'." - Ronald Reagan
GrannysAnnie

"It's always something!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009 10:16:23 PM »

Thanks!  Cheesy

Haha, yeah, I had no *idea* what mitering was until I watched that video just now.  That looks waaaaaaay easier than what I did for the binding, and better-looking too.  Thanks so much for sharing that video with me!  When I make my next quilt, I'll be sure to miter my corners  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mnmcoffee
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009 11:13:14 PM »

beautiful! i'm looking into starting my first quilt.. but it seems so overwhelming. you've given me hope Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<333
gamemom42
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009 04:58:48 AM »

Your quilt is beautiful.  No one would ever dream that it's your first.  I noticed that bottle of lotion in one photo.  You do know that lotion is a huge no no while quilting, right?  You can get faint, oily, totally non-removable stains on your quilt if you use lotion while quilting (this I know from a sad sad experience).  Keep quilting, you're a natural!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

habitat-lady
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009 06:15:54 AM »

I think you made a lovely quilt.  Those fabrics are great. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'll fix dinner right after I _______ this!  You fill in the blank: sew, hammer, glue, tack, press, cut, etch, tie, paint, draw, color, iron, solder, grout, saw, cross stitch, bend, stain, wire, build, weave.

http://www.wists.com/habitat-lady
GrannysAnnie

"It's always something!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009 08:22:20 AM »

Your quilt is beautiful.  No one would ever dream that it's your first.  I noticed that bottle of lotion in one photo.  You do know that lotion is a huge no no while quilting, right?  You can get faint, oily, totally non-removable stains on your quilt if you use lotion while quilting (this I know from a sad sad experience).  Keep quilting, you're a natural!

Oh ok, I definitely didn't know that.  Thanks for the advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stick

"I'm Only Good At Being Young"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009 10:40:54 AM »

I love the design and the colors!  Great work!  I can see many more quilts in your future!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stick Officially Has Wists!
http://www.wists.com/appstatestick/all
amalgam
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009 09:12:17 PM »

What a darling quilt. I'm new to quilting too (I've made two so far and still haven't posted them yet Tongue). Yours definitely came out better than my first one did. Keep up the good work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oneyedsally

Fabric is taking over my house!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009 05:03:35 PM »

Beautiful quilt! I never would have guessed it's your first one. I'm working on my third and I'm still embarassed to post them! Sounds like the kits are the way to go!

Definitely miter your corners, I think it makes them so neat and tidy. That video showed a really easy way to do binding too! I've always followed the instructions from an Amy Butler book I have and it's a real pain. Good luck on your next quilt!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you like handmade bags and purses, check out my etsy!

http://londonpurple.etsy.com

My blog http://londonpurple.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Meet Celebrity Hairstylist Serge Normant
Tia Mowry-Hardrict Reveals Her Hair Crushes
How to Change a Bad Hair Day Into a Good Hair Day
How to Accessorize Your Big Chop
5 Lessons Sherri Shepherd Has Learned From Wearing Wigs
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Patriotic Table
Craft Challenge #114 - Pick It and Craft It!
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Paper Stars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...