A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
583 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Added more 'cause there aren't already enough :P  (Read 10758 times)
Tags for this thread: cupcake , bread  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ambermi

I'm on sewing overload!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2009 03:38:10 PM »

UMMM do you do this for a living??? Or even as a side job??? Cause you TOTALLY could, and should- especially since you love it so much!!!And if shows! Everything looks so professional!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Support my store!! PLEASE?! I'm POOR!!! www.stacked.etsy.co m
-steps-
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2009 04:04:02 PM »

squirrelgirl: Thanks so much!  I wonder if these would work if they were heart shaped....?  Hmmm......  Thanks for the idea!  Best of luck Smiley

ambermi: Aww, you're too kind Kiss I would love to, but I don't have any potential customers and I don't even know where to go to get a job doing this kind of stuff around here.  I do, however, start college next year and there's a bakery not too far away from campus that I would love to work at.  It would definitely be a step up from working in the kitchen at a DQ Grill and Chill, huh?  Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2009 11:25:36 PM »

Your photography skills are wonderful.  Makes one hungry and running to try them.  Thank you for the links.  Everything looks especially Delicious!!!  Now I'm super craving a sweet!!  Oh, the power of photography!! Excellent pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2009 12:40:40 PM »

squirrelgirl: Thanks so much!  I wonder if these would work if they were heart shaped....?  Hmmm......  Thanks for the idea!  Best of luck Smiley

ambermi: Aww, you're too kind Kiss I would love to, but I don't have any potential customers and I don't even know where to go to get a job doing this kind of stuff around here.  I do, however, start college next year and there's a bakery not too far away from campus that I would love to work at.  It would definitely be a step up from working in the kitchen at a DQ Grill and Chill, huh?  Thanks so much!

Where are you planning to go to college and are you planning to study some kind of culinary career?

Even if you are not (planning on culinary career) I would think that, if you would take your portfolio to a country club or catering business in your school's town, and let them know of your experience and expertise, you could find pretty easy part time work at your convenience... And usually, there's at least really one fine dining establishment in most university towns, even if small towns, so your kind of specialty would be a welcome skill... How are you at working under pressure?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
-steps-
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2009 03:43:44 PM »

Jinjeet Phoenix:  Thanks so much Smiley

McJulie-O: I've got to respect my mom's wishes here, I can't say exactly which college I'm attending, but it's one of the big ones in my state.  I was hoping to major in some type of mathematics, but I'm beginning to doubt that path since AP calc is kind of kicking my ass (to put it lightly, of course).   

Anyway, I would love to work in a bakery because I think that it's what would really make me happy, but I have a few qualms.  For starters, I'm not too excited about the small salary.  I know that some people get lucky and make it big, but that's just a small number.  I also doubt the stability of this sect of the culinary industry because I feel that as we get deeper into this economic downturn, people will cut this type unnecessary indulgence from their budgets entirely.  I know that people need to eat no matter what, but things of this nature...  I just don't know.  I've also a few quips with the hours; long, no doubt, but also at the time of day I'd be given them.  The actual baking takes place so early in the morning... I'm an early riser, but I just don't know how that would mesh with my classes and studying... 

I would LOVE to do it though...  I will have to put myself out there!  Thanks for having faith in me Smiley

Working under pressure...  I dunno.  It gets pretty nasty sometimes at DQ, so I've definitely been in the situation before, but it depends on what you think is "working well."  Haha.  I get everything done in a timely matter, but I swear like a sailor when I'm feeling stressed.  I do enjoy it though, strangely enough! 

Thanks for all the encouragement; I really appreciate everything everyone's said!  You guys rock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stufie

I love cuppycakes!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2009 04:51:06 PM »

I was just wondering, how did you get your vanilla buttercream to look so light and fluffy? It looks like the whipped, light stuff you find on grocery store cakes. I can never get mine that light!!

Oh, and I just looked up the recipe for macarons...those look crazy hard! That's really admirable of you to try them, and get them that good!! I don't think I'd have the patience to try and make them more than once.

I will have to try that recipe for icing...thanks!
My biggest problem is finding icing recipes that refrigerate well. I typically give my cupcakes away at university, so I make them ahead of time on the weekend when I have time and refrigerate them until Monday morning, when I can drop them off.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009 05:11:03 PM by stufie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love will make your eyes clear

http://stufie.blogspot.com/
-steps-
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2009 05:01:52 PM »

It's probably the recipe.  I think the egg whites are what make it look so glossy. 

I posted it on page 2 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2009 04:20:03 PM »

McJulie-O: I've got to respect my mom's wishes here, I can't say exactly which college I'm attending, but it's one of the big ones in my state.  I was hoping to major in some type of mathematics, but I'm beginning to doubt that path since AP calc is kind of kicking my ass (to put it lightly, of course).   

Anyway, I would love to work in a bakery because I think that it's what would really make me happy, but I have a few qualms.  For starters, I'm not too excited about the small salary.  I know that some people get lucky and make it big, but that's just a small number.  I also doubt the stability of this sect of the culinary industry because I feel that as we get deeper into this economic downturn, people will cut this type unnecessary indulgence from their budgets entirely.  I know that people need to eat no matter what, but things of this nature...  I just don't know.  I've also a few quips with the hours; long, no doubt, but also at the time of day I'd be given them.  The actual baking takes place so early in the morning... I'm an early riser, but I just don't know how that would mesh with my classes and studying... 

I would LOVE to do it though...  I will have to put myself out there!  Thanks for having faith in me Smiley

Working under pressure...  I dunno.  It gets pretty nasty sometimes at DQ, so I've definitely been in the situation before, but it depends on what you think is "working well."  Haha.  I get everything done in a timely matter, but I swear like a sailor when I'm feeling stressed.  I do enjoy it though, strangely enough! 

Thanks for all the encouragement; I really appreciate everything everyone's said!  You guys rock!

I'm just thinking that you are more than just a typical high school kid who grills burgers and dips cones at DQ. You have an astonishing real skill, and if you would prepare some of your delicacies and take them around to the bakeries, caterers, fine dining establishments in your college town, they may hire you at YOUR convenience for special events and special occasions. You might want to see if they can accommodate you. It could be good therapy for you, too!

The really hard part is going to be finding a kitchen that you can work your wonders in while you are away at school (unless you have a really unusual living arrangement with kitchen access). One of my kids who was quite a good cook before he left home, had access to a kitchen in his dorm, but the oven was always a wreck and the temperature settings were unreliable... so he pretty much spent college honing his outdoor grill skills (he was good in math, too, and is an electrical engineer now, and his wife loves that he's still an ace in the kitchen).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
-steps-
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2009 07:52:18 AM »

I'm just thinking that you are more than just a typical high school kid who grills burgers and dips cones at DQ. You have an astonishing real skill, and if you would prepare some of your delicacies and take them around to the bakeries, caterers, fine dining establishments in your college town, they may hire you at YOUR convenience for special events and special occasions. You might want to see if they can accommodate you. It could be good therapy for you, too!

The really hard part is going to be finding a kitchen that you can work your wonders in while you are away at school (unless you have a really unusual living arrangement with kitchen access). One of my kids who was quite a good cook before he left home, had access to a kitchen in his dorm, but the oven was always a wreck and the temperature settings were unreliable... so he pretty much spent college honing his outdoor grill skills (he was good in math, too, and is an electrical engineer now, and his wife loves that he's still an ace in the kitchen).

Thank you for everything you've said!  I will definitely make the effort to make myself known Smiley

Heh.  My friend laughed at me because when choosing dorms, I had only two criteria.  One was that it was coed, and the other was that it had a communal kitchen.  When none of them had both things, guess what I chose?  Tongue

I hope the ovens aren't wonky.  I hadn't thought of that...  Perhaps I could grill, too?  I wonder if there is some relationship between math and food?  Lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2009 08:43:19 AM »

Heh.  My friend laughed at me because when choosing dorms, I had only two criteria.  One was that it was coed, and the other was that it had a communal kitchen.  When none of them had both things, guess what I chose?  Tongue

<<Yoda voice >> Chosen well, you have, young jedi.....

I hope the ovens aren't wonky.  I hadn't thought of that...  Perhaps I could grill, too?  I wonder if there is some relationship between math and food?  Lol

Well, since his was an all guy dorm, the outdoor grills were an acceptable social norm, and got a lot of use...the oven...not so much

Maybe you could develop some earth-shaking new microwave methods!?!?  Dorm living drives a LOT of innovation.... Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Advanced Keying Using Two Keys - Shake 4.1
How to Motion Blur - Motion 3
How to Work the Lights - Motion 3 Part 1
How to Do Zoom Blur - Motion 3
How to Control Your Inset - Houdini
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...