A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,554
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Added more 'cause there aren't already enough :P  (Read 10923 times)
Tags for this thread: cupcake , bread  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

-steps-
« on: January 16, 2009 08:49:04 AM »

I bake.  A lot.  Too much.  But I love it, and so do my friends, so oh well!  I'm trying to take better pictures of everything, and I have quite a bit to share....

Dulce de leche macarons with praline topping, from Tartelette's recipe.  These were a little too sweet for me, but still yummy.

Chocolate macarons from Tartelette's recipe.  Delicious!

Plain old vanilla cupcakes (Billy's vanilla vanilla) and vanilla buttercream, with a royal icing butterfly Smiley

Same recipe as above with chocolate swiss meringue buttercream and sprinkled with crushed candy cane.

Chocolate cupcake with italian meringue buttercream topped with a whopper.  I left the butter out of the icing and it was very sticky... 

Pumpkin pancakes.  Found the recipe on Tastespotting.  I <3 tastespotting.

Raspberry ice cream sandwich!

Angel food cake.  Mmmmm.  I bought vanilla beans off of ebay and I can't stop using them in everything.  I even made my own extract!

I miss summertime...  This is just a simple strawberry tart.

Thanks for looking!  If anyone knows where I can get some cheap and cute plates/props for photos I would REALLY appreciate it if you let me know where to look.  Oh, and if you could recommend some affordable natural looking lights for photos...  I'd appreciate that too...

<3

EDIT (January 17th):

Made/canned that jam at 2AM Lips sealed Unfortunately, it is more sugar flavored than raspberry.  I'd never canned anything before...  Hope I did it right.  Anyway, these are chocolate ganache and raspberry filled.

EDIT (January 19th):

This page must take HOURS to load Tongue  Also, I just realized that pancakes and bread aren't exactly "dessert..."

Prickly Pear Macaron

Bought a new camera!

Lemon tarts

Chocolate cake...  Thing Tongue
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009 02:33:59 PM by -steps- » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sushiluvzombie
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009 08:59:19 AM »

omg everything looks soooo delicious but AH OMG MACRONS! i have been wanting to try making those for a while, but alas, lack of working oven has prevented that. ohhhh yours look soooooo perfect and yummy and awesome
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ninjanator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009 09:10:58 AM »

wow i think this is the first post on the cooking board that's made me wish i could lick the screen (and taste your creations) Tongue

I think you could find lots of cute plates and props in your local thrift store - there's always some interesting ones in mine Smiley (plus they're ultra affordable)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
TanyaJean

Crafty Lil Momma

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009 09:22:46 AM »

Your macaroons are completly perfect ! where can I get that receipe ?? all the macaroons I have made are the more dense ones, I have been wanting to find a receipe for these ! they are perfection!

keep it up  !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tanya Jean

What project should I start now ?
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009 09:33:45 AM »

Everything looks so lovely and delicious.  Makes me want to go bake something.

For good photo lighting, get an OTT light.  They are designed to be crafting lights, but I find that if you are doing macros, they are really great for getting rid of shadows.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cheesepuff
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009 09:39:26 AM »

everything looks so good. i love the butterfly touch. how did u make it 3d?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cabin Fever
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009 09:55:38 AM »

The macaroons look so good, I too would like a recipe!  And all of your pictures look great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DoodleLou
I don't know what I don't know. But I want to know.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009 10:24:12 AM »

You know...different props and plates are fine....but, truly, your creations speak for themselves  Grin.

I think the simple white plates/backgrounds you have is all you need. Showcasing the food rather than what it's on or by. 

Excellent, excellent job on everything...the eats and the photographing. 

I'm off to lunch now.....I'm famished and will now make a bee-line for the bakery.  Although I'm pretty sure what I get there will be a sad substitute for what I seen here. Wink

*I echo the "want to lick the screen" comment!*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Self diagnosis: Obsessive, complusive crafty addict with AD/HD tendancies.

"The thing about glitter is if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies." Demetri Martin

https://www.facebook.com/Feeding.the.Habit
LunaKitten
LunaKitten Kreations

I have affairs with fictitious characters.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009 10:48:06 AM »

WOW!! They all look SO delicious!! If you like, you can get some of those ceramic pens, and then hit the dollar stores for plain plates, that you can decorate yourself for photos! The ones in my area also usually have some of the prettiest glass in there. ( I know its suprising! ) And another weird spot is fairs!! The fairs around here have the dime toss, and there's always pretty nifty plates in there Smiley Walmart is another spot that has cheap plates. They always have that isle that is for seasonal plastics, and I know, plastic... but some of them are REALLY cool looking!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Substantial Wist Smiley

Forget all the other crafting tools, what I really want is a sonic screwdriver!!!!

Blessed Be!

I'm up for personal swaps! PM Me! Smiley

Etsy Shop
bekibutton
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009 10:58:34 AM »

Wow, they all look amazing! The macaroons look like the shop bought ones, how did you get them so perfect?! Very interested in how you made the little butterfly for the vanilla cupcakes too...

Great photos  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was gonna take over the world but got distracted by something shiny

beckybutton.wordpress.com
beckybutton.etsy.com
nevaehyeknom
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009 11:19:12 AM »

Thanks for mentioning where you got your vanilla beans!  We almost bought two at walmart for $9!!!  That's outrageous. 

Next, to ebay for vanilla beans...

then, to try making those macroons.  Shocked)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prettyinkpink
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009 11:58:54 AM »

WOW! Everything is so close to perfection.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SHES.CRAFTY
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009 12:08:19 PM »

Mmmm....everything looks so good, I want to eat it all! Also your pictures are awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009 01:46:34 PM »

I love your stuff! Your pics are very good. I wish I had taken pics when I was a baker and in culinary school.  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
-steps-
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009 08:17:58 PM »

Holy crap!  Thanks for all of the AWESOME feedback, everyone!  I am so thrilled that you guys liked the photos so much!! 

Lots of interest on the macarons, I see Smiley  The chocolate ones were my third and fourth attempt at macarons, the third ending badly because I had some embarrassing oven issues and the fourth being the ones you see in the photo.  I don't think I've ever been more excited about something I've baked!  Unfortunately, no one else seemed to get it...  Haha.  They said they were good though.  The best advice I have for you is to check out Tartelette's blog and her AMAZING article starting on page 36 of the second issue of Desserts Magazine.  She is truly an inspiration and I owe her credit for the success of those two recipes Smiley

The butterflies I made by piping royal icing on wax paper.  I made all of the wings separate, then propped them up, two at a time between the ridges of my broiler rack (which was covered with aluminum foil), then piped the "body" in between.  Left them to dry overnight, then popped them off in the morning.  Only had a few casualties!

Thank you SOOOOOOO much, everyone and thank you, DoodleLou, your comment means so much!  I really appreciate it! This has made my day!  I will certainly be hitting some second-hand shops soon. 

Nevaehyeknom: I felt the same way Smiley  I recommend this company for the vanilla beans.  Very reasonable prices and quick shipping!  Good luck!

Thanks again, guys Smiley

<3
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009 08:19:14 PM by -steps- » THIS ROCKS   Logged
wisegirl
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009 05:01:38 AM »

I'm glad you aren't my friend! I would gain too much weight!! Cheesy
Seriously everything looks delicious and your photos are wonderful! Very professional!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just listen to the wind, mother nature's violin."  Chris LeDoux

check out my etsy shop; www.prairiemother.etsy.com
McJulie-O
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009 08:26:22 AM »

Oh, my! Your post has educated me immensely. Before now, I thought macaron = charming foreign equivalency of macaroon! Those links are fascinatingly educational, and I suddenly feel gauche and backwoodsy.....

I'm going to have to save up some calories to try these out!...

Yum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
itsnubs
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009 08:40:18 AM »

oh man im starving from looking at these pictures.  would you be willing to share your icing recipe? ive never seen icing that looks so good and fluffy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live the life you love. <3
-steps-
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009 09:17:33 AM »

Wisegirl: I had a friend that said something similar once when I approached him with a box of brownies.  I said, "fine.  Don't take one then," and started walking away.  He changed his mind PDQ though and chased me down.  Haha.  I feel bad for my poor parents.  They're doing Weight Watchers and they've got me, who wakes up pretty much every morning thinking hmmmmmmm...  I wonder what I should bake today..., practically living in the kitchen.  They have MUCH more self-control than I do, but -thankfully- it's never too had to find someone to give this stuff away to Smiley

McJulie-O: Psh!  I wouldn't feel that way at all!  I'm glad I could help introduce you to them. 

itsnubs: Sure thing!  It's my favorite one; not too sweet and a dream to decorate with.  Don't be put off if it seems labor intensive - I promise it's not hard! 

Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Makes about 8 cups.  Feel free to halve it, of course, or make the full recipe and freeze some.

2 3/4 c sugar
1 1/4 c egg whites
2 1/2 c butter slightly softened and cut into small cubes (I don't usually put all of it in, to be honest)
2 Tbls Vanilla or other flavoring

In a large bowl, whisk egg whites and sugar.  Place over a pan of simmering water and cook, whisking constantly, until the sugar dissolves (personally, however, I just cook the mix straight in a pan because I think that double boiling takes too long.  So if you're comfortable doing it that way, it does work, just be sure to keep an extra close eye on it!).  To test, just rub some of the mixture between your fingers; if it's gritty it needs to cook longer and if it's smooth, it's done!

Transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer or a bowl to use a hand mixer in, and beat on high for about 10 minutes or until the sides of the bowl are room temperature and the mix has cooled.  If using the stand mixer, switch the whip attachment to the paddle one and begin beating in butter, a few pieces at a time, until they are fully incorporated.  Continue until all of the butter is gone, beating at medium speed (If it seems too soupy at this point, put it in the fridge for a few minutes and then whip it again.  It'll be fine.  This recipe is pretty forgiving!  Also, if it looks curdled, don't be scared because that's pretty common.  Just keep beating it or put it in the fridge for a bit.  It will come together).  Increase to high speed, and beat until very fluffy.  Add in flavoring/food color and beat until well combined. 

You can flavor that with just about anything so long as you are careful not to add too much liquid to it.  Oh, and if you want to make chocolate buttercream, just mix in about 1 1/2 c (more/less - your preference!) melted and cooled chocolate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
squirrelgirl

I'm a hot pink llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009 03:20:52 PM »

Everything looks delicious!
Thanks for the recommendation on the macaroon recipe! I was planning on making some in a little gift box to give out to friends on Valentines Day, but hadn't had much luck in finding a good recipe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart comics! Visit my store website!
http://www.guapocomicsandbooks.com/

EL WISTO:
http://www.wists.com/alliemaries
ambermi

I'm on sewing overload!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2009 03:38:10 PM »

UMMM do you do this for a living??? Or even as a side job??? Cause you TOTALLY could, and should- especially since you love it so much!!!And if shows! Everything looks so professional!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Support my store!! PLEASE?! I'm POOR!!! www.stacked.etsy.com
-steps-
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2009 04:04:02 PM »

squirrelgirl: Thanks so much!  I wonder if these would work if they were heart shaped....?  Hmmm......  Thanks for the idea!  Best of luck Smiley

ambermi: Aww, you're too kind Kiss I would love to, but I don't have any potential customers and I don't even know where to go to get a job doing this kind of stuff around here.  I do, however, start college next year and there's a bakery not too far away from campus that I would love to work at.  It would definitely be a step up from working in the kitchen at a DQ Grill and Chill, huh?  Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2009 11:25:36 PM »

Your photography skills are wonderful.  Makes one hungry and running to try them.  Thank you for the links.  Everything looks especially Delicious!!!  Now I'm super craving a sweet!!  Oh, the power of photography!! Excellent pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2009 12:40:40 PM »

squirrelgirl: Thanks so much!  I wonder if these would work if they were heart shaped....?  Hmmm......  Thanks for the idea!  Best of luck Smiley

ambermi: Aww, you're too kind Kiss I would love to, but I don't have any potential customers and I don't even know where to go to get a job doing this kind of stuff around here.  I do, however, start college next year and there's a bakery not too far away from campus that I would love to work at.  It would definitely be a step up from working in the kitchen at a DQ Grill and Chill, huh?  Thanks so much!

Where are you planning to go to college and are you planning to study some kind of culinary career?

Even if you are not (planning on culinary career) I would think that, if you would take your portfolio to a country club or catering business in your school's town, and let them know of your experience and expertise, you could find pretty easy part time work at your convenience... And usually, there's at least really one fine dining establishment in most university towns, even if small towns, so your kind of specialty would be a welcome skill... How are you at working under pressure?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
-steps-
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2009 03:43:44 PM »

Jinjeet Phoenix:  Thanks so much Smiley

McJulie-O: I've got to respect my mom's wishes here, I can't say exactly which college I'm attending, but it's one of the big ones in my state.  I was hoping to major in some type of mathematics, but I'm beginning to doubt that path since AP calc is kind of kicking my ass (to put it lightly, of course).   

Anyway, I would love to work in a bakery because I think that it's what would really make me happy, but I have a few qualms.  For starters, I'm not too excited about the small salary.  I know that some people get lucky and make it big, but that's just a small number.  I also doubt the stability of this sect of the culinary industry because I feel that as we get deeper into this economic downturn, people will cut this type unnecessary indulgence from their budgets entirely.  I know that people need to eat no matter what, but things of this nature...  I just don't know.  I've also a few quips with the hours; long, no doubt, but also at the time of day I'd be given them.  The actual baking takes place so early in the morning... I'm an early riser, but I just don't know how that would mesh with my classes and studying... 

I would LOVE to do it though...  I will have to put myself out there!  Thanks for having faith in me Smiley

Working under pressure...  I dunno.  It gets pretty nasty sometimes at DQ, so I've definitely been in the situation before, but it depends on what you think is "working well."  Haha.  I get everything done in a timely matter, but I swear like a sailor when I'm feeling stressed.  I do enjoy it though, strangely enough! 

Thanks for all the encouragement; I really appreciate everything everyone's said!  You guys rock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stufie

I love cuppycakes!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2009 04:51:06 PM »

I was just wondering, how did you get your vanilla buttercream to look so light and fluffy? It looks like the whipped, light stuff you find on grocery store cakes. I can never get mine that light!!

Oh, and I just looked up the recipe for macarons...those look crazy hard! That's really admirable of you to try them, and get them that good!! I don't think I'd have the patience to try and make them more than once.

I will have to try that recipe for icing...thanks!
My biggest problem is finding icing recipes that refrigerate well. I typically give my cupcakes away at university, so I make them ahead of time on the weekend when I have time and refrigerate them until Monday morning, when I can drop them off.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009 05:11:03 PM by stufie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love will make your eyes clear

http://stufie.blogspot.com/
-steps-
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2009 05:01:52 PM »

It's probably the recipe.  I think the egg whites are what make it look so glossy. 

I posted it on page 2 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2009 04:20:03 PM »

McJulie-O: I've got to respect my mom's wishes here, I can't say exactly which college I'm attending, but it's one of the big ones in my state.  I was hoping to major in some type of mathematics, but I'm beginning to doubt that path since AP calc is kind of kicking my ass (to put it lightly, of course).   

Anyway, I would love to work in a bakery because I think that it's what would really make me happy, but I have a few qualms.  For starters, I'm not too excited about the small salary.  I know that some people get lucky and make it big, but that's just a small number.  I also doubt the stability of this sect of the culinary industry because I feel that as we get deeper into this economic downturn, people will cut this type unnecessary indulgence from their budgets entirely.  I know that people need to eat no matter what, but things of this nature...  I just don't know.  I've also a few quips with the hours; long, no doubt, but also at the time of day I'd be given them.  The actual baking takes place so early in the morning... I'm an early riser, but I just don't know how that would mesh with my classes and studying... 

I would LOVE to do it though...  I will have to put myself out there!  Thanks for having faith in me Smiley

Working under pressure...  I dunno.  It gets pretty nasty sometimes at DQ, so I've definitely been in the situation before, but it depends on what you think is "working well."  Haha.  I get everything done in a timely matter, but I swear like a sailor when I'm feeling stressed.  I do enjoy it though, strangely enough! 

Thanks for all the encouragement; I really appreciate everything everyone's said!  You guys rock!

I'm just thinking that you are more than just a typical high school kid who grills burgers and dips cones at DQ. You have an astonishing real skill, and if you would prepare some of your delicacies and take them around to the bakeries, caterers, fine dining establishments in your college town, they may hire you at YOUR convenience for special events and special occasions. You might want to see if they can accommodate you. It could be good therapy for you, too!

The really hard part is going to be finding a kitchen that you can work your wonders in while you are away at school (unless you have a really unusual living arrangement with kitchen access). One of my kids who was quite a good cook before he left home, had access to a kitchen in his dorm, but the oven was always a wreck and the temperature settings were unreliable... so he pretty much spent college honing his outdoor grill skills (he was good in math, too, and is an electrical engineer now, and his wife loves that he's still an ace in the kitchen).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
-steps-
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2009 07:52:18 AM »

I'm just thinking that you are more than just a typical high school kid who grills burgers and dips cones at DQ. You have an astonishing real skill, and if you would prepare some of your delicacies and take them around to the bakeries, caterers, fine dining establishments in your college town, they may hire you at YOUR convenience for special events and special occasions. You might want to see if they can accommodate you. It could be good therapy for you, too!

The really hard part is going to be finding a kitchen that you can work your wonders in while you are away at school (unless you have a really unusual living arrangement with kitchen access). One of my kids who was quite a good cook before he left home, had access to a kitchen in his dorm, but the oven was always a wreck and the temperature settings were unreliable... so he pretty much spent college honing his outdoor grill skills (he was good in math, too, and is an electrical engineer now, and his wife loves that he's still an ace in the kitchen).

Thank you for everything you've said!  I will definitely make the effort to make myself known Smiley

Heh.  My friend laughed at me because when choosing dorms, I had only two criteria.  One was that it was coed, and the other was that it had a communal kitchen.  When none of them had both things, guess what I chose?  Tongue

I hope the ovens aren't wonky.  I hadn't thought of that...  Perhaps I could grill, too?  I wonder if there is some relationship between math and food?  Lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2009 08:43:19 AM »

Heh.  My friend laughed at me because when choosing dorms, I had only two criteria.  One was that it was coed, and the other was that it had a communal kitchen.  When none of them had both things, guess what I chose?  Tongue

<<Yoda voice >> Chosen well, you have, young jedi.....

I hope the ovens aren't wonky.  I hadn't thought of that...  Perhaps I could grill, too?  I wonder if there is some relationship between math and food?  Lol

Well, since his was an all guy dorm, the outdoor grills were an acceptable social norm, and got a lot of use...the oven...not so much

Maybe you could develop some earth-shaking new microwave methods!?!?  Dorm living drives a LOT of innovation.... Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TwiztidBlood
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2009 09:46:56 PM »

gosh, I dont know whats better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just moved to a new loft, please contact me for my new mailing address!
My Wist
penandpaper
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2009 03:15:32 AM »

Holy cow, that is a lot of baking! And all so deliciously photographed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
-steps-
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2009 02:26:01 PM »

Heh, thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glitterbug12
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2009 01:17:34 PM »

absolutely beautiful!
and delicious looking too, now i'm hungry Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
InfiniteDreams
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2009 09:14:16 PM »

YUM!!

I thought my eyes were going to pop out of my head and take a bite for me.....
I didn't blink once as I scrolled very slowly all   the   way     to      the      end......
So awesome looking!

Cupcakes, RASPBERRY, Chocolate, Butterfly, Frosting, PANCAKES, Heart Shaped Butter, Prickly Pear (I always wondered what to do with those things!) Bread.......droooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllll!
I can't even take it any more.....  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Product Round Up: Top Brushes For Volume & Teasing
Backstage at the Lela Rose Show With Celebrity Hairstylist Ted Gibson
Punk Hairstyle at the Tracy Reese Spring 2013 Fashion Show
How to Rock a Short Hair Style
How to Do Pixie Hairstyles for Weddings
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...