A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
729 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Sweet little flower cutout handbag  (Read 144345 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , jordy_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

laurasaurus
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2005 08:31:33 PM »

I made this handbag for my dear friend Krista's birthday.  I like how the cutouts of the flowers turned out, with the decorative stitching around the edges of the flowers.  But next time I think I'll make the decorative stitches a little smaller.  There's a layer of interfacing between the outer layer and lining, so it's pretty stiff.  I made a sweet little tag inside that reads 'To Krista.  From Laura.' Smiley  What do y'all think?

**TUTORIAL**
1.  Cut out one bag shape with your outside fabric and one with your lining fabric making sure to add seam allowances(follow the shape shown).
2.  Fold the outside fabric in half, right sides together.
3.  Sew the three edges as shown, with the bottom edge curved, and leaving the top edge open.
4.  Fold and sew the corners as shown in the wonderful Jordy tutorial.
5.  Flip right side out.
6.  Measure your bottom in order to determine the size of the strip of contrasting fabric for the bottom of your bag (like in the photo shown).
7.  Cut out two rectangles based on your measurements. 

8.  Put the two rectangles of contrasting fabric right sides together, and sew on three sides.
9.  Flip the two rectangles right side out and finish the fourth edge.
10.  Pin strip of contrasting fabric to the bottom of your bag and sew in place (do this neatly because it will be visible).
11.  Cut out your desired shapes (mine were flowers) from one side of your outside fabric.  Once you've cut the shapes, you will probably want to squirt some FrayBlock on them, or a similar product to stop from too much fraying because the cutouts will have raw edges.  Or you could not put FrayBlock and have a decorative fray- it's your choice.
12.  Cut out a shape to go behind your cutouts in a contrasting fabric (does not have to be neat because it will be covered by lining later on).
13.  Pin your contrasting fabric to the inside of your bag behind the cutouts.
14.  Using a needle and thread (I used a big honkin' needle and some thick thread so the stitching around the cutouts would be visible and decorative) to hand stitch around your cutouts and to secure your bloby type shape of contrasting fabric.
15.  Remove the pins.
16.  Now back to your cutout lining shape from Step 1.  Sew it right sides together and fold corners as in Steps 2-4.  Do not flip right side out.

17.  Put lining inside bag.
18.  Fold your raw edges from your lining and your outside fabric together at the top and pin.
19.  Sew along top edge, securing the lining to the outside.
20.  Attach handles (I used handles from another bag I had).
21.  Done!!!!

« Last Edit: June 14, 2007 08:39:02 AM by jMi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi.
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005 08:35:00 PM »

oh, I adore the flowers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

magnolia

Bob the Angry Sixtopus!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005 08:36:16 PM »

Oh wow!!! That's gorgeous. The cut out turned really well. What kind of fabric did you use?

Excellent! I'm sure your friend will absolutely love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laurasaurus
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005 08:40:18 PM »

Thank you both very much!  I hope she likes it.
I used a sort of cotton canvas material for the outer fabric, and the teal lining fabric is probably just a twill-like cotton.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi.
cindylund
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005 08:40:45 PM »

its beautiful!  for the cutouts-do you do anything to the fabric to keep it from unravelling? or is the decorative stitch enough to do the job?   your friend will definitely love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craft Addict

"She's crafty- and she's just my type"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005 08:45:23 PM »

Absolutely beautiful!  Did you make the handles yourself?  The whole color scheme really works for me!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
penguino
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005 08:55:13 PM »

It is beautiful.  How did you cut out the flowers?  I can't get good straight edges cutting with a pair of scissors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

justlittleolme
Full of Craft

are you full of craft?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005 08:59:57 PM »

tutorial?
please?
pretty please???
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laurasaurus
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005 09:06:24 PM »

its beautiful!  for the cutouts-do you do anything to the fabric to keep it from unravelling? or is the decorative stitch enough to do the job?   your friend will definitely love it!

Thank you!  Actually, to keep it from unravelling too much, I put a layer of this stuff I love called Heathbond (I have no idea what it is...I guess a type of fusible interfacing...it comes in a roll and after you iron it to your fabric, you peel off the paper backing and a layer of glue-y stuff is revealed, and you then iron the glue-y side to other fabric...it's stiffens when it cools off).  So that kept the fabric from fraying, but you could also just buy Fray Block, which you squirt on the raw edges of fabric to stop fraying.  Magical stuff, I love it.

Absolutely beautiful! Did you make the handles yourself? The whole color scheme really works for me!!!

Oh, no I didn't make the handles, I already had them lying around.  And thank you!  These are definately my colors, I think I secretly made the bag for my likes, not my friend's Wink

It is beautiful. How did you cut out the flowers? I can't get good straight edges cutting with a pair of scissors.

Aww, thanks!  Sharp, small scissors are important, and I just drew on the fabric with a pencil to guide me before I cut the flowers.

tutorial?
please?
pretty please???
 Grin

Sure, I'll make a short one tomorrow afternoon.  Thanks for the interest!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi.
puppymomma

matches? we don't need no stinkin' matches

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005 09:20:52 PM »

I wish I had friends who made me bags like yours. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every day may not be a good day to die, but every day is a good day to eat pancakes.

http://funkyjewtopia.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Robin Kelley Talks About Thelonious Monk
Karyl McBride Talks About Will I Ever Be Good Enough
Tips from Lauren Luke: Eyeshadow Color
Meet Judge Greg Mathis
Audrey Niffenegger Talks About Her Fearful Symmetry
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...