A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,908
Currently Running With Scissors:
527 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cupcake Stands! Five (5) Images Strong!  (Read 4565 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 15, 2009 02:59:24 PM »

Thrifted dessert plates on thrifted wine glass stems made into cupcake stands! 

Before I ever saw these made with candlesticks, I saw them made with wine glass stems and fell in love.  After looking at all kinds of thrift store candlesticks, I decided that the thrift store wine glass stems were a bit more the elegant look I was going for - their candlesticks were generally clunky and pressed glass (showing the seam) rather than blown.  I don't have much in the way of glass tools, but I do know an awesome glazier who likes the challenge of new things so I had him cut off most of the bowls and grind the remaining bit level. 

This is a xmas gift for a friend that I haven't been able to get together with yet:

Detail of the stem-turned-foot:

This was a gift for my mom, she uses hers on her dresser for holding bracelets (pardon the detritus on the patio table - I went to wipe it off and realized it was frozen in there):

Detail of the stem-turned-foot:

And some more of that dessert plate, because it's pretty and appears to be hand painted:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

just_nicole
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009 03:26:19 PM »

i love these.  i wish i had glass cutting tools - or knew how to do any glass cutting at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009 03:30:42 PM »

i love these.  i wish i had glass cutting tools - or knew how to do any glass cutting at all.

Thanks!  That's why I went to a glazier.  He did 3 cheapo thrifted wine glasses for me for about $5 (US). I know him pretty well, so he may have been cutting me a little deal, but we're business associates and I know that he feels comfortable charging for his time so you might find a similar price at your local glass shop.  He warned me that I may lose the glasses, but since they were not more than $2 each, it seemed worth the risk.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009 03:31:14 PM by TheMistressT » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009 03:35:10 PM »

These are great.  I wonder if you could use something like margarita glasses, so you wouldn't need to cut the bowl off.  Maybe they wouldn't be strong enough?

And what kind of glue are you using to attach them?  Is it like the E6000 that everybody is talking about?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009 03:44:00 PM »

These are great.  I wonder if you could use something like margarita glasses, so you wouldn't need to cut the bowl off.  Maybe they wouldn't be strong enough?

And what kind of glue are you using to attach them?  Is it like the E6000 that everybody is talking about?

Thanks!  I did use E6000, but I had planned to use a glue that HSG recommended that I think is called Mac.  But, I was snowed in the few days before and after xmas, so I used what I had.

I don't think the rim of a margarita (or wine or martini) glass would be as strong as I'd like.  And the dessert plate is only about 7" across and I think that the look would have been different than what I was going for.  I be one of those chunky, recycled glass margarita glasses would work well on a salad or even dinner plate, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009 03:49:21 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I think I might try this just to see how it works.  Do you know where to get the glue called Mac?  I've never heard of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009 03:56:26 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I think I might try this just to see how it works.  Do you know where to get the glue called Mac?  I've never heard of it.

I'm not totally certain it's called Mac (or MAC), but she did say she got hers at a Home Depot type place. If I were selling these, I'd go that route just to be more confident with shipping and all, but the E6000 is really holding them together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009 04:05:02 PM »

Thanks,  I'll try both, just to see which one I like best.

Happy crafting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009 04:10:38 PM »

Thanks,  I'll try both, just to see which one I like best.

Happy crafting.

Your welcome!  When you make them, I'd love a link to a post here so I can be sure to see them and hear what you think about the process, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009 04:30:44 PM »

No problem.  You've got me thinking now, so I'll definitely let you know how it turns out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Style Diaries: Lily Collins
DIY Crop Top
Back To School: Send Your Kid Back to School in Style
Back To School: 4 Hot Looks For the Fall Semester
The Hottest Celebrities on the Red Carpet
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...